Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Just when did you turn in to your dad?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

It seems to me I’m turning in to a Luddite, I joined twitter a while back, but I have only ever bothered to dip it to it a few times on my phone. Tonight I thought I Would have a look on the iPad, wow it’s agreat tool for… stalking people 😉
    Anyway it has occurred to me that I have managed the last 40odd years without it, and although intriguing in a rare moment of boredom it really has no place in my day to day life.
    So I have concluded that I have turned into my dad & my kids will have to sort out any new technology in the house from now on, so at what age did you turn in to your dad?

Cheers.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

32 which is about now. I feel too old for day time radio1 and teenagers are starting to get on my tits.

carbon337
    Free Member

About 27 so 4 years ago.

camo16
    Free Member

No signs yet…

Age is only making me radder, sicker and way more gnarly. 😆

fasthaggis

I love the things that make me like my dad.
    He was one of the good guys,I miss him.

No fear of the years here,it’s all an adventure.

althepal

Im worse, I’m turning into my wife’s dad! I am actually getting concerned about the parallels!
    Grumpy, talking to the telly, tutting loudly at folk who
    piss me off in queues etc..

ourmaninthenorth

I have the reticence to ask for help from my father, which I’ve always had.

Thankfully, I don’t have his adulterous streak, anti-intellectualism or reactionary right wing views.

I’ll probably regret publishing that, but it’s clear we are less alike all the time.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’d love to live up to my dad apart the early death aspect. As for tech, I love it. But I’m not narcissistic enough to think that people might be interested in my doings so give faceache linkedin and fritter a miss.

singlecrack
    Free Member

God no…I’m getting worse (more rad try anything type)as I get older

maybe a midlife crisis though …… 😐

nonk
    Free Member

when i had kids, find myself saying all the things he did when i was a kid…

“chips i’ll give you bloody chips” 😀

twohats
    Free Member

I’ve yet to leave the wife and kids, so not yet…

palmer77
    Free Member

fasthaggis – Member
    He was one of the good guys,I miss him.

No fear of the years here,it’s all an adventure.

Top fella!

TiRed

i’m 15 years older than him, but look just as he would have, so I guess at 29. my wife couldn’t tell us apart in photos matched by age.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

My father is a pompous boring twit who places his own interests above those close to him.

So I guess I am doomed. One of my real horrors.

When I see him in the mirror, or hear him in the things I say, it really isn’t good. And the last time I saw him (my choice) was when he was about my age.

nedrapier

Me too. Most of them! Very impressive man. Not without his flaws, but they tend to be flipsides of his strengths. My bro, who’s had WAAAY more friction and fighting with him over the years, is more and more like him every day! Prob got a lot to do with him having kids and me being a way off.

I’m sure I’ll be along shortly… 🙂

HansRey

between me and my brother, we share many characteristics of my dad. The surprising thing is that my girlfriend complains i’m like her dad too, and i tell her to stop acting like my mum. God knows what will happen when the both sets of parents meet in December… 😀

flip
    Free Member

My dads a top bloke, wish i could be more like him.

I do have many of his traits though, and my Mrs thinks i’m like her dad. Wish she says is a good thing 😐

MrsToast
    Free Member

My dad was awesome – he had a mental taste in music (hard rock, prog rock, opera, classical and jazz), he loved to make terrible, terrible puns and he could assemble flatpack furniture in minutes whilst blindfolded yet couldn’t set up the video recorder. He introduced me to Lord of the Rings and gave me a life long love of reading, same for video games (which ended up determining my career) and family time involved my brother and I watching X-Files and Beavis and Butthead with him. He was unfailingly kind, patient and generous.

I miss my dad, and wish I could be more like him. Just without the inexplicable love for Coronation Street…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

and my Mrs thinks i’m like her dad. Wish she says is a good thing

😕

fadass
    Free Member

I’m hoping i’ll never turn into my dad, as he was a complete and utter f*cking moron……always more interested in the pub than us p*ssing away his wages so my mum had to take 2 jobs to support us, eventually leading her to have a breakdown. Only time he did ever take us anywhere was – yes, you’ve guessed it – the pub!

Thank god she saw the light and left him 😀

I like spending time with my babies, going out on our bikes and doing things they love because they are the most important things in my life and if my mum ever said to me “your just like your dad” i think i’d be heartbroken!!!!

hora
    Free Member

If I ever turned into my Dad I’d put a shotgun barrel into my mouth.

khani
    Free Member

My dad was top, if I have half the love, courage and fortitude as him I’ll be thankfull
    Mad as a box of frogs tho…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

When did my dad turn into me more like!

I get a sialing boat, he gets a (bigger) boat.
    I get a motorbike, he gets a (bigger) motorbike.
    I get mountain bike, he gets a mountainbike
    etc etc etc

I’m very like him!
    And he still tells me to be sensible! I still point out that when he was my age he was drifting between YHA jobs, drinking a lot of local beers, restoring motorbikes in the unused rooms (he wasn’t their greatest manager!) and generaly having a good time, so I’m ahead of him on many counts!

lunge

At about 30 when I went for a “big night up town” and ended up sitting in a pub drink real ale with my mates talking about car fuel economy.

But compared to my younger brother who talks like him, dresses like him and has the same limp due to bad knees as him I am a million miles away.

Emotionally, if I end up half the man he is I will be happy, he is a genuinely good, caring, humble guy who seems to be liked by everyne.

ahwiles
    Free Member

personality/temperament: when i was about 26.

when i was about 30: i got a bit spooked when i was doing something with my hands (i can’t remember what, opening a door or something), and i noticed that i had my dad’s hands – i even have the same kink in a knuckle (which he thought he got from a cricket injury…). it was like i was watching him do it.

40mpg

I’ve found myself turning up places to meet my old man this year, dressed very similarly to him. I even had to drag myself away from Marks & Sparks a few weeks ago.

However I’ll be more than happy to be doing all the things he does in 20 years time (except maybe falling off his motorcross bike and breaking his collar bone 🙄 )

iDave
    Free Member

my dad – short, wealthy, religious, narrow minded, insular, driven, practical, active
    me – tall, pov, atheist, broad minded, well traveled, lazy, practical, active

I have some changes to make….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Just when did you turn in to your dad?’ is closed to new replies.