Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Just seen Thompson dropper at merlin. Stunning !!!
  • creamegg
    Free Member

Are you using it under the bar or above?

One bike on top, one bike under. Both have been damaged during a crash

amedias
    Free Member

So a weekends worth of riding?
    Ooh, get you.

regardless of whether you think that’s willy waving or not the point is valid, 70 odd miles is not much of a test, that is only 1 or 2 rides to some people, and gives no idea of actual longevity or reliability, all it really does is confirm that that one example didn’t explode straight out of the box…

mangatank
    Free Member

regardless of whether you think that’s willy waving or not the point is valid, 70 odd miles is not much of a test, that is only 1 or 2 rides to some people, and gives no idea of actual longevity or reliability, all it really does is confirm that that one example didn’t explode straight out of the box…

Sigh. 😐

Have I, for one moment, given any indication as to the current operational state of my Thomson dropper? Have I yet mentioned that I’ve had multiple problems with it in the space of 70 short miles, rendering it inoperable?

No.

edd

mangatank – Member
    I’ve been running one for a few weeks now….

Hmmm…. 😐and

Have I yet mentioned that I’ve had multiple problems with it in the space of 70 short miles, rendering it inoperable?

So are you going to tell us what’s happened?

mangatank
    Free Member

Nope. Not until it’s all sorted out. Suffice to say that it’s been….interesting, and not confined to mechanical issues.

More next week.

lemonysam
    Free Member

interesting, and not confined to mechanical issues.

I’m going to guess it was haunted.

wwaswas

I’m going for having it surgically removed after the return spring proved to be a little too powerful.

mangatank
    Free Member

I’m going for having it surgically removed after the return spring proved to be a little too powerful.

😆

Not quite, though I knew someone in the 90s who suffered a sudden and painful non-dropper seatpost/saddle/orifice interface. That definitely did require surgical intervention. 😯

scottfitz
    Free Member

Suffice to say that it’s been….interesting, and not confined to mechanical issues.

You can get cream for that.

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Do you have hydraulic discs? If so, please consider your point above to be fully pointless.

No, and no- if I break my seatpost, it doesn’t matter what sort of brakes I have, funnily enough.

mangatank – Member

Suffice to say that it’s been….interesting, and not confined to mechanical issues.

Worms?

amedias
    Free Member

Sigh.

Have I, for one moment, given any indication as to the current operational state of my Thomson dropper? Have I yet mentioned that I’ve had multiple problems with it in the space of 70 short miles, rendering it inoperable?

No.

Er no, quite the opposite in fact…

Early experiences with the post were very good. The finish and external build quality appear to be high. Doubt I’ve seen higher in fact. The surface finish in the post is extremely durable. When I removed the post a couple of days ago, it cleaned up to look brand new. That’s after 70 or so miles on it…

You seem to have said, it looks nice, I’ve used it briefly, it still looks nice…

if it is:

A> still perfect, then it needs more time and more examples to see if that is the norm.

B> exploded to death, then we need more examples and more time to see if that is an endemic problem or an unfortunate early life failure on the bathtub curve.

My point was that after 70 miles whether it was working perfectly and looks like new, or has exploded into a million tiny rusty pieces, the product is still too new to make any useful judgements about longevity or reliability.

It wasn’t a dig at anyone, certainly not you, it was more an observation that until they’ve been in the wild for a bit they are still very much an unknown.

chakaping
    Free Member

Genuine LOL.

I’ll put my money on the owner discovering that it was actually made out of 80% dark chocolate during a particularly warm ride.

mangatank
    Free Member

Worms?

This! This is what happened!

It’s not worms.

I did a little searching this afternoon about the problems I’ve had (there. I’ve said it!), and Thomson have actually flagged one of them on their support page.

The first issue is that in some posts from the earliest production run, the bushing cover securing the extending part of the post, had threads contaminated by oil. This could lead to the bushing loosening and causing excessive play to develop in the post. This is what happened to mine, probably within 40 miles. Except with mine, the bushing cover became almost completely unscrewed during a long bumpy descent. Something of a surprise. I cleaned the threads and applied a little loctite, but this didn’t completely solve the looseness.

The other issue may or may not even be a problem: When the seatpost returned to full extension, it made a fairly loud ‘thunk!’. This doesn’t have any effect on the operation of the post, but there are reviews out there where the silent operation of the post is highlighted. So, is this a problem? Who knows, because nobody connected with Thomson has replied to any of my queries about it. The first email went off three weeks ago.

So yeah, early adoption and all that. This sort of thing doesn’t bother me too much. If you’ve got a dropper post, you’ve definitely got a spare seatpost. It’s the other stuff that’s the confusing part. That I can’t really get into until it’s resolved.

Should this stop you buying the post? Well, it’s not a great start that’s for sure, and so far I can’t comment on Thomson’s warranty process in the UK, but this is just my post. When it worked (and it never actually stopped working), it was a great bit of kit.

Someone mentioned cream?

AlexSimon

Is this the bit you meant on the Thomson site?

9. If your post is moving front to back the upper bushing holder may be loose. Grab the bushing holder, it’s the black ring at the top of the lower tube, if you can turn it by hand it is too loose. Don’t ride, call us, we will talk you through it. This only might affect posts shipped in May through early July.

As someone up the thread said. V1 of any dropper post is going to be hit and miss. They seem to be reacting well from reading that blog though. Fingers crossed. I’d love a 27.2 one for my IF.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

GD collars loosen all the time, allowing play and stopping the pin aligning perfectly. I consider this a trivial inconvenience as it is a 2 second fix so if thats the worst thing thats happened to your Thomson…

RobHilton
    Free Member

If you’ve got a dropper post, you’ve definitely got a spare seatpost

Snapped my seatpost 6 weeks ago, 20 mins into a ride @ CyB – did the rest of the Dragon’s Back standing (grrrr!)

Hadn’t been able to find a suitable Ti post (preferable) for less than a ton (& what if I snapped that as well!), so splashed out on a “game changing” reverb.

It’s still in the box as I’ve used that bike for nothing but uplifts since.

Shrewd investment :mrgreen:

matther01
    Free Member

Just had my LEV back from jungle within a week as it developed a bit of play and stichion. Replaced the seat clamp and full service under warranty. V good service IMO and really helpful via email.

mangatank
    Free Member

I consider this a trivial inconvenience as it is a 2 second fix so if thats the worst thing thats happened to your Thomson…

Love the tone adopted there :D, but quite right in fact. A bit of a clean, a dab of loctite and a quick twist with a strap wrench and that should sort it. So why would I send it back under warranty? I didn’t actually request a warranty repair or exchange in fact. I asked about the best way Thomson would advise about fixing the issue, and queried the noisy travel return.

I actually don’t know what issue the warranty is attempting to cover! 😯

Blurboy
    Free Member

Busted a KS Cobra twice, last time fatal. On my second Joplin 4, the first being a replacement for a Joplin 3 which died. All slow warranty work. Mates have had issues with Reverbs and switched to Levs. I couldn’t find any Levs when the Cobra died so bought. Thomson. 100 miles in and all good so far in sand, mud and rain. Early days. Only issues are the cable is too short, only just fitted my BLT2, and the outer cable is too thick to go in Shimano end caps – I cut it to use the Blur’s extra cable stops. After all the cr*p from the others I have high expectations for the Thomson and it is beautifully made.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Just seen Thompson dropper at merlin. Stunning !!!’ is closed to new replies.