Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Just quit my job…
  • Brown
    Free Member

Nothing to go to, no savings. But I’ve wanted to quit for over a year, it was going nowhere, making me stressed, and I evidently wasn’t going to do anything about finding a better job whilst I was sitting comfortably behind my desk. A few ideas about what to do next, but no idea how to make them happen.

I imagine in a month or so I’ll be poor and incredibly stressed but right now I’m feeling pretty good. S***ing myself, but feeling pretty good!

ski
    Free Member

First night is the worst, after that things get better.

Sometimes it’s the only way to see past the stress of a terrible job.

Good luck in finding something more positive.

Just one tip – avoid the jobcentre like the plague if you can 😉

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Brave move, what did you do?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Brown
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I did stuff with words. I hate sitting behind a desk though, and don’t really like what I was doing, so it’s time for a complete restart, which I was never going to pluck up the courage to do whilst I had a reasonably comfortable job. Exciting times. I think.

stumpy01

Respect! I couldn’t do that, but I admire your desire to change!

Best wishes finding something you enjoy!

jekkyl

Congrats on making a life changing decision and carrying through with it, nice one mate.
    Go a big evening ride and drink some beer when you get in, get up late and go for another long ride. You can take a couple of days off.

Brown
    Free Member

I’ve got a 25-mile road ride home – that’ll give me plenty of time to regret my decision! Beer waiting at the other end though. And probably a curry.

zippykona

Have a lay in for me!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Well done. Having umed and ahhed about doing the same for some time I manged to get a nother simalrish job but never had the balls to do what you are doing, even though I should have! Just get anyjob for a while to keep living costs going and have think what you would like to do.

nairnster
    Free Member

Well done mate. Its a brave step but sometimes the only way to avoid getting stuck in the mire of a more and more stressful position.

I did the same about 3 weeks ago. After over 2 years of broken promises, no follow up etc by my employer, it came to a head and I quit on the spot, cleared out my stuff on the spot, and left the building.

My fiancee knew i was deeply unhappy, and had suffered because it was a huge risk to leave with no job. So as i drove out of the car park, I was filled with anguish on what she would say, and what the future may hold. She was very supportive and assured me we would cope.

Aftet two weeks off, i started a new job last week with more responsibility, better pay, and a good team already in place. Fonancially its a struggle this month, but we will cope.

I looked at that how much worse could anothet job be than the one i already hated? Am loving it so far amd it feels great.

As othet have said, the first night was the hardest (hardly slept) but then the sense of relief was like a wave of euphoria.

Good luck and think positive.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Well done that man 🙂
    Did a similar thing myself last week , gave a months notice , no job to go to or savings as such, only been there 4 months but cant stand the bulls**t you have to put up with , really not the job for me !
    Signed back up with an agency and doing a health and safety course first week of sept to hopefully get my green labourers cscs card which should open a few more doors ?
    Good luck 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Brown – Member

I did stuff with words.

What is that? Editor? Publisher?

Do you write long journal for publication?

beej

I’m guessing Daily Mail journo, hence the secrecy.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you are good with word then there are plenty of work proof readings … just don’t charge a bomb just because you can. 😛

unovolo
    Free Member

Did the same about 18months ago as it was making me stressed and depressed and generally not a nice person to be around, only thing I regret is not doing it sooner.

Now I’m in aa new job earning less but enjoying it more and in a much better place emotionally and you cant put a value on that.

binners

I finally experienced the straw that broke the camels back, in work, in April. I’d just had enough of working with imbeciles, while doing a job that was nothing like the one I’d been sold (they’d come looking for me with what turned out to be a pile of crap about what the role was)

No job to go to. No money. No savings. 2 kids and a lot of bills. Luckily a supportive better half though – you can’t put a price on that!

I’ve never looked back. Best thing I ever did. Now self employed (again). I’ve been able to concentrate on the side of my job I really enjoy, and do something a bit different. I’ve been stacked out with work. Never been so busy. And being your own boss is bloody brilliant! 😀

Hope it works out the same way for you. Good luck with it all.

project
    Free Member

Best wishes almost weekly someone pops up on here wuith stress doing a job they hate, they know they should leave, but cant, you did, just think of tommorrow as the first day of your new life, and make it work for you.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve walked out of a crap job before, so I know what it takes. You will come out of this in a better place, but it may not be as quick as you would like. Hang in there and keep the faith.

Tomorrow I have to walk back in to a crap job after 3 weeks off with depression and anxiety. I now have children to think about. But on Saturday I have Stage 2 of an interview for a different job, and MrsMC is waiting for the start date to return to work full time for the first time in 12 years, earning £10k more than I can!

Harry_the_Spider

Quit a crap job in March. Best thing I’ve done career wise and I’m much, much happier.

bigjim

Got made redundant in April and still not got round to finding a new job yet! Life is so much better without the bull though.

milky1980
    Free Member

I did the same thing 8 years ago. Best move I ever made!

Actually ended up getting a job with one of the suppliers to my old job after telling one of their staff I’d just quit with nothing to go to. They got me an interview and I started the new job on higher wages 3 weeks after my leaving date. Those 3 weeks were spent on the bike 😀

It’s a tough thing to do, best wishes for the next move being a good one!

Big-Dave
    Free Member

10 years ago I was stuck in a job I hated. I had a week off to mull things over and on my first day back my manager had arranged a meeting to discuss the best ‘way forward’ as they were aware that things weren’t working out. Being able to stop my manager mid flow and say that I didn’t give a monkeys what they had to say because I’d decided to leave was a very good feeling. You only get one life, now you have the chance to shape what comes next.

Brown
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Popped in to see a mate to run some ideas past him before the long ride home with plenty of time to think … not a great plan! Then I read all this and feel a lot more positive! My OH has been telling me to quit for ages, so that helps too.

I was editing/writing/proofing stuff, thankfully not for the Mail. I guess I could do a bit of that freelance for a while to keep me going while I get something else sorted, but I’m pretty much done with it.

Beer now, proper decisions tomorrow!

loddrik
    Free Member

Brown next week…

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Congratulations. I’ve done it twice now ! Just gone self employed as a decorator (which I did my apprenticeship in )after working 13 years for a company, slowly building up my clientele. Time before this I was Woking for a company as a stop gap and after 6 years got stressed and thought it ain’t worth it I’m off ! Good luck .

andykirk
    Free Member

Brilliant. I did the same 2 years ago. Wish I had done it a year before that. I know what Big Dave means by going in with the ‘Actually (boss) I don’t really give a toss what you have to say’ attitude. It’s a great feeling, I will never forget it, I felt all manly for a moment! 2 years later still unemployed, mainly through extreme laziness, but I wouldn’t go back to that job for all the suspension forks in Wiggle.
    PS. Anyone need a cheap Architect?

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I commend your bravery.

I wish I had the bottle to do it.

The trouble is I really don’t know what I want to do.

Brown
    Free Member

I’ve got no idea what I want to do. Because of that, I’ve never really tried to find out. I’ve got to now.

Had my first proper night’s sleep in months last night. Definitely made the right decision.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The trouble is I really don’t know what I want to do.

I want to live in a van, ride my bike in the mountains and make love to heavily-freckled women with powerful shoulder muscles.

My wife is adamant that I need to focus on being a more successful lawyer.

😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

…in the mountains and make love to heavily-freckled women with powerful shoulder muscles.
    My wife is adamant that I need to focus on being a more successful l Sawyer.

FTFY

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’ve jacked too…sometimes you just can’t work with idiots..life’s too short

Being happy is priceless…….I’ll take a lower wage and be happy any day

I’m happy now …I work for myself

Mackem

I jacked in my job at the end of June. Got back to UK 3 weeks ago, relocated to Manchester 10 days ago. Still no job,starting to feel a little concerned, getting rejected for part-time minimum wage jobs isnt very good for the confidence. Just been for bike ride in the sun though…

konabunny
    Free Member

well done to you all!

crazy-legs

theotherjonv

I’m jealous, i wish i had your bottle. instead i have kids and a mortgage, sleepless nights, high blood pressure and depressive thoughts.

Yet people look at me and call me successful.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Brown – Member
    I’ve got no idea what I want to do. Because of that, I’ve never really tried to find out. I’ve got to now.

Had my first proper night’s sleep in months last night. Definitely made the right decision.

That is the trouble for me. I don’t lose any sleep over it. I’m just plodding along. What worries me is waking up one day and thinking shit I’m old and too late to do anything.

andykirk
    Free Member

To all the apparent fence sitters who have been unhappy in their jobs for a period of time but not yet felt strong enough to make the move, I find a walk round the local hospital is always good for putting things in perspective.

binners

True. Moral among nurses is apparently terrible 😉

andykirk
    Free Member

It is when they see me walking the corridors.

nickc

Did the same thing about 8-9 months ago, jumped from a small company run by two warring idiots, lasted 9 weeks, and knew at the end of the first week that I’d made a bad decision. Had a few weeks of anxiety while I found a better place, and now very happy .

Life’s too short etc etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Just quit my job…’ is closed to new replies.