Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • just put an offer in on a bmx….what should i know…?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It’s just to pop to the gym on, up the road, cheap n cheerful, but Mongoose obviously…

sitting down on one looks painful, but it’s all downhill on the way back, so gonna be freestyling…lol

p.s. i’m 43, brushing off my baseball cap n hoody.

isitafox
    Free Member

That you’re too old!

goby

hehe you love it! 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kerley
    Free Member

that you are not 16 any more and each time you fall trying to recreate what you did when you were 16 it hurts a lot more and takes a lot longer to recover from.

nickjb
    Free Member

Also they truly are awful to ride any kind of distance, especially if you need to pedal.

alexh
    Free Member

That you should also find a local track and teach yourself bmx kung fu, which will translate to riding off road far better. Never too old for a bmx.

kayla1
    Free Member

BMXs rock. I just got myself a 1999 DK General Lee 20″ 😀

It’s true, they are truly awful to ride any distance at all if you just ride them but you can break the monotony by acting like an idiot on it and having to pedal standing up is a really good workout!

helpful1
    Free Member

Don’t listen to any criticism.

Anyone who thinks it’s difficult to ride a BMX any distance is simply weak and anyone who thinks you’re too old to have fun on a BMX at 43 is probably pretty poor at riding any bike.

it’ll do wonders for your core strength, stood pedalling, balance and timing (if you stick at it)

science
    Free Member

Use clear brake pads and rub the rear rim with sandpaper or something if you are entertaining any thoughts of stopping

gummikuh

I rode my BMX into work this morning, only because I have to pick my car up after work and can throw it in the back.

I think you have to change the way you ride, it is a sprint machine designed for short tracks, if you ride like that over distance you will detonate. I like hopping onto the kerb and off when I get bored. I see it as a track day toy really.

It will get stolen if you leave it anywhere, and end up rattlecan black.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

You’ll have to build a quarterpipe out of plywood in your garden.

honourablegeorge

They’re gret fun, I started doing a bit a while back (not been for ages, come to think of it), and the skills really do translate.

Wouldn’t dream of using one to pedal to anywhere though. Totally unsuited to that.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Learn about broken collar bone and or scaphoid recovery times / rehab

Recycler
    Free Member

Just got my first BMX at the weekend and I’m 46 !!

Wethepeople Versus 2011 in black and green.

Off to the pump track with my little lad, hoody and skinny jeans.

I have a pair of Vans Farlane shoes somewhere too.

Never ridden bmx before, but before I committed, I just checked the bike in the same place I would have on any other bike.

helpful1
    Free Member

Totally unsuited to that.

That’s a shame 🙁
    Ride it moar and you should toughen up

Coyote
    Free Member

Finished refurbing a Mongoose Culture. Be riding it on New Years Day. I’m 49. 😀

kerley
    Free Member

anyone who thinks you’re too old to have fun on a BMX at 43

Having fun at 43 is not a problem, recovering from injuries is which was my point.

I had a BMXes on and off from 8 years old until I was about 45 and because the whole point of the BMX is to do stuff where you are more likely to fall off, you not surprisingly fall off more.
    The recovery time was far longer than when I was doing the same at 14 years old….

mamadirt
    Free Member

Babies the lot of ya! 😆 I’m nearer 60 😯 and have just bought back a frame I owned in the mid 2Ks to recapture my forties 😛 BMX freakin’ rocks \m/ . . . with the added bonus that if you’re only 5’2″ pedalling any distance is really not too bad at all.

Oh . . . and we need a pic of that Gen Lee kayla1 😛

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

plan a has been scuppered by a higher bid, so on the trawl for another one. 😕

alexh
    Free Member

I’ve just restored a dog rough se floval flyer so I can have a ride with my kids at the local tracks.

I swear this has done more for the hole in my core from some broken ribs, than any other riding.

Only problem is the bike attracts too much attention from the local kids as said tracks

mcnultycop

I bought one at 36, two rides then sold it. I was miles too old.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Just got one today, brand new from eBay for £49 inc 48hr UPS delivery. Check out crispy bmx
    Quality looks ok for the price. Worth it for a few rides on a new £150k track not to far away.
    Over 30 years since I last rode my burner !

kayla1
    Free Member

Well if you absolutely, positively insist! Here it is as I got it-

I’ve got some chrome forks and bars to go on it and some other bits and bobs so it kind of matches its bigger 24″ brother-

mamadirt
    Free Member

Very nice 😛 I think I was watching that very same one on the ‘bay.

markcurtains
    Free Member

We’re showing our bikes? Go on then

2013 We The People Arcade. Mainly used at Bolehills in Sheffield, was 38 when I bought it. Have also visited the the local indoor park the one time. Was terrifying but good fun. Not been back yet as you have to try an go when it’s quiet.

Also use it fir short trips to the shop when I haven’t got much to carry back, I’m 6ft 2 so riding sat down is pretty tricky to control.

alexh
    Free Member

floval flyer

34, intent on getting back on a track when my kids are a bit older and join a club.

I had a quick blast on it when I got back from work at the local track. A few laps and I was knackered

yossarian
    Free Member

My 7 year old is hooked on bmx racing and we have a couple of tracks in a 5 mile radius which is cool. He’s currently on a mafia BB Cush but has a proper haro junior bike coming at Christmas. Great fun blasting around the circuit, but crashing hurts more and takes far longer to heal at 43!

http://m.alansbmx.com/1626092/products/hutch-xl24-chrome-black-custom-bike.aspx

I want this 🙂

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

You should know that you can’t stay out all night with your new little friends. You have to be back in time to do your homework and it’s turkey twizzlers for dinner.

alexh
    Free Member

That hutch is NICE!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Damn, that Hutch reissue stuff is awesome 😛 I suppose it had to happen with the supply of oldschool NOS parts drying up/prices going through the roof. Back in the late 90s I bought an old original Hutch Expert Racer frame from Alan and he helped me out with a shed load of NOS Hutch parts for not too much cash – wish I still had it . . .

pickle
    Free Member

I bet you do Mamadirt, they go for stupid money nowadays.

mamadirt
    Free Member

There it is (was) 😥 I’m sure it went to a radster as I think I’ve spotted it in the archives.

pickle
    Free Member

Nice! just that seat alone would sell for about £150

mamadirt
    Free Member

I know – think I bought it from Alans for about £25 complete with post 😯

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘just put an offer in on a bmx….what should i know…?’ is closed to new replies.