Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Just one MTB?
  • I’d say 90% of my riding buddies only have one bike – and that would be a 150mm’ish FS.

Personally I don’t get the ‘winter bike’ thing – yeah, I know FS don’t like winter so much, but I ride exactly the same terrain – so, if my summer riding justifies a FS, then so does my winter riding!

rickon
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris. That is all.

WoodyCannondale
    Free Member

I have managed to do this finally – although it took a break-in and gifting my road bike to a friend before arriving at the fabled one bike.

And here it is!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/byronwarwick/8414152046/

This has always been my favorite – managing to beat off an Intense Carbine, a Blur XC and several Cannondale’s (hardtails mostly) over the years. The Maverick is still my all time favorite of the bunch as it rides the best and just suits what I do best.

Have to agree with everyone about the purity of a hardtail though and would really like an Ibis Tranny at some point.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Mojo HD. Did an xc race on it last week and tonight i was throwing it down farmer johns DH tracks..

As said, these modern 140/160 trail bikes are really versatile.

mboy
    Free Member

The Maverick is still my all time favorite of the bunch as it rides the best and just suits what I do best.

Hahaha, awesome! Guess what my current full sus is… 😉

Incidentally won’t be selling my Maverick, more retiring it from regular use, then will give it a full overhaul and maybe get it back out again one day…

mboy
    Free Member

As said, these modern 140/160 trail bikes are really versatile.

Whilst I agree that they are, they are also suited mainly to firm ground and trail centre riding. They don’t suit natural trails so well at all, and require a heck of a lot more maintenance than a hardtail if ridden through local forest trails through the winter.

6079smithw
    Free Member

This is my only MTB.
    In ‘summer’ trim.
    Yeah I was in a Retrobike phase!
    Just too confused about what to get next ❓

robj20
    Free Member

I only have my Nomad for everything.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

For MTB I have two for the first time. EVER. A 140mm Carbon FS and a 100mm Steel 29er HT. The best of both worlds really. I ride similar stuff on both with emphasis and more technical riding on the FS and longer distances on the HT. Plus the HT is less to worry about in all the winter slop, snow, etc.

I can’t help thinking that an amalgamation of the two would be a great ‘just one mtb’ and something I’ve been considering of late. The bike in question, 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon EVO 29

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Road bike

I often think about this puzzler when worrying about how much money I’ve spent on bikes and which get used the most. The truth is at my current time/place in life I enjoy road riding more than mountain biking. If I lived in the Alps or Whistler it would be a very different answer to this question. The point is to take a good, long, honest look at the riding you do and not necessarily the riding you want to do and buy the best bike for that instead of some jack-of-all-trades compromise.

roverpig

Whilst I agree that they are, they are also suited mainly to firm ground and trail centre riding. They don’t suit natural trails so well at all

Care to expand? Is it just a matter of mud clearance?

the00
    Free Member

My 29er hardtail is the only bike I’ve ridden in the last 12months.

If I could only have one bike, it might be a geared rigid 29er, which is only a pair of tyres away from being a pretty rapid road bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Just one MTB?’ is closed to new replies.