Just one MTB?

Home Forum Bike Forum Just one MTB?

• This topic has 91 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by  the00.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Just one MTB?
  • knightrider

to be delivered in a life of Brian falsetto

” stone him, he said one bike”

if I had to have only one bike it would be a hardtail, 26″ (cos i’m short) with 2 sets of wheels and sus and rigid forks

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Something allroundery and fullsuss-ish. TBH I’d get on fine with just my Hemlock, though I’d want 2 sets of wheels for it.

_tom_

I had just the one for a while – 160mm “freeride” full sus. Pretty good but an effort to ride uphill. Tbh I wish I never got a fs in the first place, I was perfectly happy on a hardtail for everything til I bought one. Only got it as I was going to whistler for a few months and I thought a fs would be a better idea. And of course now I’ve experienced the advantages of it I’m not sure I can go back to just a ht. Do love getting back on mine for the simplicity and ease of pedalling though.

Reckon I’ll probably end up with some kind of single pivot short travel fs for everything, best of both worlds so something like a heckler.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Been thinking the 2 sets of wheels thing might be a good idea. One set of lightweight wheels with fast rolling tyres (and mud’s for winter), and the other set with beefier grippier treads on.

Full sus currently only really gets used if doing a visit to a rocky trail centre or if the HT is out of action for any reason. HT gets used most of the time cos, well, there’s just a whole lot less to go wrong on it! Hence thinking of 29er, and having recently had a go on a few good ones, I’m much more open to the idea of big wheels again.

orangeboy

Due to various things my only mtb this last few months has been my enduro
    And it’s does every thing , not to slow on flat dull bits and great laugh going down

I’m even planing a clear out of some of the other bikes
    The only probem would be if I wern back to racing xc

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Reckon I’ll probably end up with some kind of single pivot short travel fs for everything, best of both worlds so something like a heckler.

😆

Heckler is 150mm travel! Great bike, but short travel it ain’t…

Mowgli

Hemlock is good – especially with a 150mm rear travel option and beefy wheels, and the 120mm rear and light mincy wheels. And u-turn forks, it’s pretty much two bikes already! Not sure if there are many other bikes with different rockers available to adjust the back end?

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

it depends what you use it for too, do you need to commute on it?
    or is it only used for the rough stuff.
    personally, if i had to go for just one bike it would be a ht, with dual position forks with lockout.
    and probably a spare set of wheels with closer ratio cassette and some slicks on.
    EDIT: would defoe use some type of mucky nutz fender bender type thing, keep the worst of the crap off the stanchions too.

Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

I would have a 120mm HT with 26″ wheels if I had to only have one bike.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

It’s been well over a decade since I last had only one MTB. I’ve owned as many as 4 at once, most of the time it has been just 2 though (mid travel full sus and a hardtail). I know there’s plenty of people on here that only have one bike, but for those of you that have had many (or are used to having a sizable collection), if you HAD to have only one bike for the next 12 months at least (for whatever reason), then what would it be?

FWIW, I love both my bikes, but I’m definitely quicker on the full sus over technical terrain, but the HT is lighter and faster over smoother terrain. I’m erring on the side of thinking a good 29er HT would be the best compromise of both bikes, but just can’t bloomin’ decide!

_tom_

Ah I thought the heckler was shorter than that! My voltage is 150mm on the back at the minute and it feels enough, just that the rest of the bike is heavy I guess!

acehtn

A crankset shy of having 3 rideable bikes.

If i had to scale back.

Would keep the Karate Monkey, at the moment set for SS on v-brakes, so a disc&gear ready spare wheel set, cable disc brakes and a bouncy fork would be on order.

Can race mountains, or xc, or SS events, even a bit of DH racing, and if the frame has issues i can practice my welding skills and brace it up.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

I would have a 120mm HT with 26″ wheels if I had to only have one bike.

Got a VERY nice one of those already as one of my bikes, have had it for years! Problem is I’ve recently had a go on a few nice 29ers and that’s what’s bugging me… I quite like the bigger wheels!

it depends what you use it for too, do you need to commute on it?
    or is it only used for the rough stuff.

Purely for fun. No commuting. Actually part of the reason for this question is that I will be keeping my road bike, and also thinking of getting a CX bike, so realistically, one of my MTB’s has got to give way…

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

I’d have a Ragley Ti and at least three sets of wheels – a trail set, a super-light race set and a set of 650b wheels so people can gasp at my gullibility. But I would have the last laugh as these would also be a jacuzzi in disguise.

I might also have some modular, quick-swap forks. And several seatposts including an uppy downy one. And other stuff.

😉

Not had one better – does it all with no arguments.

Still nice to have the ’97 Kona HT for pub duties though…

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Something like a Spearfish, Scalpel or SuperLight?

samuri

I only have two mountain bikes right now but if I could only keep one it’d be the Singlespeed Chameleon. A bike that provides that much fun is too valuable.

Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

Got a VERY nice one of those already as one of my bikes, have had it for years! Problem is I’ve recently had a go on a few nice 29ers and that’s what’s bugging me… I quite like the bigger wheels!

As soon as my beautiful car sells I will be buying a new 120mm HT, I gave my last one to my BIL for some stupid reason. I’m never giving a bike away ever again.

Nipper99

I have one mtb at the moment and that’s my Gryphon which would be a keeper whatever.

Doethie 004 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

I’ve only ever had one proper MTB at a time. For the last several years this has been a rigid SS 26″ wheeled Inbred. (Actually, two of them because the first got stolen.)

But I also have a fixietwat 29er with cx tyres on it. And a geared CX. And a Yuba Mundo cargo bike.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

My SIR.9.

Loving Nipper99’s Gryphon. Something like that would probably be my next port of call.

tinybits

Quite happy with my anthem x1, fitted with 120mm forks, it does everything in ask if it and more. Playing in the woods, all day epics and a cruise down the canal with microbits on the front.
    I used to use it for winter / filthy conditions road hacks as well, but bought a road bike for that!

wobbliscott

My Transition Covert 29 is about to become my single do it all bike. So much faster than a hard tail on everything except climbing and I have no desire to race uphill. Also you get off after a long ride feeling like you’ve not gone 10 rounds with Tyson (even flexible HT’s are really not that flexible), but above all its more fun. You can use the suspension to pop off the smallest feature, you start looking for the smallest blemish to use as a kicker. I guess it all depends on what type of riding you want to do, but this will be my one and only bike for a good few years yet.

b r

Did +60 miles and +7000ft of ascending yesterday, consequently my only MTB is a light 26er long-travel HT.

If I was buying again, it’d be a light 29er long travel HT. 🙂

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

29er 100 mm ish rear 100/120mm forks

magical just enough travel for everything ups downs and rounds

I do own a rocky mountain 29er but it really puts a smile on my face

dobiejessmo

I would go for EX8 and pray for good summer 😆

stratman

Another one for Anthem X1

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Aside for a handful of Singlespeed outings and 2 rides on the soon to be sold Lynskey this is the only MTB I have ridden in the last year.

I would be happy with it as my only MTb!

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

I would go for EX8 and pray for good summer

Have had a go on a couple of 26″ EX’s and they left me slightly underwhelmed. Managed to wangle a quick go on a 29er EX8 recently though and that was one of the bikes that has got me thinking about 29ers again… Though probably a HT rather than a full sus, great as the 29er EX8 was.

Shortcut, is that an ally SC Highball?

matt – no offence intended pal, but that seems like an awful lot of effort you are putting in there for a 10″ drop old chap 😉

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

probably this, but with some gears dangling off it

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Did I hear RD say gears…must be getting old.
    😀

How does that compare the the Swift RD…?
    Much lighterer?
    Much more comfortablerer?

I have 4 bikes atm but only ever really use the 5 so I guess it’d be a new one of those, probably with the 650 wheels. 😯 😳

emac65

The biggest problem with only owning one bike is when something wears out or breaks on it,you don’t have a bike to ride until it’s working again…..
    Now the problem I have with having more than one bike is when something wears out or breaks I use another one,then when something happens to that one I use another & so it goes on…………Until it gets to the day I have no usable bikes & then I fix a couple or 3,& so it starts again………………..

souldrummer

The way things are panning out my Dialled Alpine seems to be becoming my sole mountain bike. I’ve swapped the more XC orientated wheels and tyres from my Soul on to it; the old ones will eventually gain new chunkier rims for Alps duties. As I have said before I need to get some lighter forks and then it will be perfect. I’m keeping the Soul for the moment, possibly for winter duties, but time will tell how things end up.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

If you do get a CX bike, then go for a full susser as the only MTB would be my choice.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

How does that compare the the Swift RD…?
    Much lighterer?
    Much more comfortablerer?

feels lighter, I’ve never weighed either of them
    more comfy? hmmm, yea a tadge

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

All my bikes cover different types of riding but if I had to stick to one. Slacker HA HT with 4-5″ fork, dropper post and a 2xn driver train as that covers more “Riding Bases” than anything else would…

ali69er

I have just got a Trek Fuel, have to say, I only ever wanted to have one bike, I have moved from a Focus hardtail which despite being unfashionable has never let me down. The Fuel has such little pedal bob and having only done three rides on it, I have the confidence to say it would be my one bike.

If I wanted more, I would just hire one for the day. Having said that, nothing like putting your trusty steed through its paces.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Just one MTB?’ is closed to new replies.