• This topic has 78 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by argee.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Just listening to Angela Rayner at PMQ’s
  • argee

Dear god, labour really aren’t going to be a credible threat to this government for a long time, are they, it’s depressing how far away we are from having a real opposition who can potentially make the tories actually think before they act, or reap any repercussions.

hatter

Whilst I’m not a Labour Fan Boy, they have consistently lead in every national poll since November, even with the usual bounce that Ukraine has delivered to whoever’s in charge during an international crisis they’re still ahead.

https://twitter.com/britainelects

Whilst a degree of skeptism in polling is healthy, if an Election was held right now then the Data suggests either a narrow Labour majority or a possible Lab/Lib arragement (Just don’t call it a ‘coalition’ whatever you do).

In my book that’s a ‘credible threat’.. and that’s before everyone’s tax bills go up next month.

pondo

it’s depressing how far away we are from having a real opposition who can potentially make the tories actually think before they act, or reap any repercussions.

To be fair, no politician who ever lived could sit opposite this Tory government with an 80 seat majority and either make them think or bring about repercussions. They’re still whanging on about Corbyn, for heaven’s sake.

supernova

I admire Angela Raynor. She does a pretty good job of keeping up with the public-school-boy-deliberately-exclusionary Westminster system.

failedengineer

+1 for Angela. I love the way she looks at the Tories opposite with pure hatred. I bet she could beat any of them in a fight, too …

Poopscoop

supernova
    Free Member
    I admire Angela Raynor. She does a pretty good job of keeping up with the public-school-boy-deliberately-exclusionary Westminster system.

Very much agree with that.👍

argee

Whilst I’m not a Labour Fan Boy, they have consistently lead in every national poll since November,

They mean nothing outside of an election year, or even outside of the final days of an election, always have been unfortunately.

I’d say she falls into the trap of what you say, making it personal and getting her to show her true feelings, it’s what destroyed Corbyn, he couldn’t help but use it to try and sell his beliefs.

I think Starmer knows the game, and can handle himself with the chess style responses required, but i don’t get any comfort listening to Rayner almost boxing herself in to her principles, it’s a party, it is the millions of voters you represent, it just keeps reminding me of trade union folk i’ve seen over the years.

ransos
    Free Member

I’d say she falls into the trap of what you say, making it personal and getting her to show her true feelings, it’s what destroyed Corbyn, he couldn’t help but use it to try and sell his beliefs.

Perish the thought that a politician actually stands up for what they believe in.

fadda

Recently listened to James O’Brien’s podcast interview with her. Came across very well, and I liked her.

rone

have consistently lead in every national poll since November, even with the usual bounce that Ukraine has delivered to whoever’s in charge during an international crisis they’re still ahead.

Their lead has shrunk hugely in that period and a moderate cynic would say they were only ahead due to the epoch of the Tory Partygate calamity.

Now, that has gone away.

Theat lead was a one off based on an absolutely despicable and incompetent government.

Labour have never delivered anything to actively put themselves ahead in the last two years.

Labour and Starmer are invisible.

I personally think Rayner is too shackled and confused to be of any use

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure she has a dungeon, gets my vote.

kerley
    Free Member

A woman powering over you in a dungeon, you would be better suited as a tory voter I would think.

Philby

She got the better of a sneering, patronising Dominic Raab, and a couple of months ago when she stood in for Starmer against Johnson she showed him for what he is – a corrupt, lying, useless and greedy narcissist.

intheborders
    Free Member

Why, what actually happened?

chakaping
    Free Member

What do you think she should be doing or saying that she isn’t OP?

MoreCashThanDash

+1 for Angela. I love the way she looks at the Tories opposite with pure hatred. I bet she could beat any of them in a fight, too …

I’m sure she won’t like the comparison, but Starmer/Rayner is very much a Blair/Prescott double act. Pretty sure she’d punch any idiot who tried it on.

w00dster

So first of all, I’m not a keen follower of politics so this is just my observation….
    Personally I thought she did very well against Raab today. But she is very much a northerner (I was brought up not far from her). I can see how some people and voters may not like how she comes across.
    In my view though she’s passionate about her work for the people and this shows.

the-muffin-man

she showed him for what he is – a corrupt, lying, useless and greedy narcissist.

Hardly a revelation.

argee

I just can’t see her changing to suit what is needed to contest the next election, it’s constantly about the opposition and negativity rather than about their opinion and pushing bounds to gain potential voters.

It’s nothing about her or her principles, it’s just she seems like a one trick pony, which won’t really help at an election, as things like principles tend to be a weakness in quick fire interviews and open forums.

binners

I really admire Angela Rayner. I think it’s great that she’s actually a real human being who’s had real life experience. And say what you like about her but Johnson hates her for just these reasons. He’s clearly terrified of facing her, and with good reason. When he has had to face her she always tears him a new one.

In any sane country we’d have more like her but unfortunately we’re a nation of cap-doffers who mistake accents and affectations for intelligence and have a horrible ingrained snobbery which means that anyone outside a certain privileged, elite caste is simply dismissed in Westminster.

I do agree that she’s essentially a female Jon Prescott to Starmers Blair. She’s probably got a similar right hook

nickc

wot he said

MoreCashThanDash

I really admire Angela Rayner. I think it’s great that she’s actually a real human being who’s had real life experience. And say what you like about her but Johnson hates her for just these reasons

Yes.

But

it’s constantly about the opposition and negativity rather than about their opinion and pushing bounds to gain potential voters.

Is how it comes across, or is reported as coming across – Brexit, Covid, now the Ukraine crisis have given Labour a great chance to make a pitch for support for a different, fairer and more equitable society, as happened after WW2, and I’m not hearing that coming across or being reported, if it is actually what they are saying.

They need to be pointing out that 30 of the last 40 years have been under Tory rule and if you aren’t now living in the sunlit uplands you should be able to figure out who to blame.

kelvin

A lot of people will have a negative gut reaction her because she sounds “Northern”… almost as much as they would if she sounded Welsh, or Scottish…

I think she did well today. But Raab just ignored the pertinent questions as regards Russia, Saudi Arabia and energy, and rattled on about Corbyn instead.

argee

I think it’s great that she’s actually a real human being who’s had real life experience. And say what you like about her but Johnson hates her for just these reasons. He’s clearly terrified of facing her, and with good reason. When he has had to face her she always tears him a new one.

What real life experiences are you raising above others though, I keep seeing this, but how does this appeal to those who aren’t already labour voters?

As for boris, she again always falls into the trap of making it personal, which he plays for, it’s lucky he isn’t more competent at this as he thinks he is!

kerley
    Free Member

how does this appeal to those who aren’t already labour voters?

Good question, I don’t think it does but it may help maintain some.

binners

What real life experiences are you raising above others though

Have a read of her biog. Its about as far removed from Boris Johnson as it’s possible to be while still technically being the same species

You’ll surely see something there thats a bit more worthy of respect than just fulfilling the pre-ordained destiny of an entitled member of the elite?

I’d imagine that making it to be an MP, having been a single mother at 16 with no qualifications in Stockport is a tougher gig than smashing up restaurants and sending your fag to pay off the little person for the damage, then daddy’s contacts laying out the red carpet for your career progression

I keep seeing this, but how does this appeal to those who aren’t already labour voters?

It won’t. But it should. Just to repeat:

Unfortunately we’re a nation of cap-doffers who mistake accents and affectations for intelligence and have a horrible ingrained snobbery which means that anyone outside a certain privileged, elite caste is simply dismissed in Westminster.

argee

I’ve read her blog, I know the past and i know how her move into the trade unions drove where she is now, but how does that make her more apt at being an MP than most others, or more entitled to respect?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

A woman powering over you in a dungeon, you would be better suited as a tory voter I would think.

Keith Vaz, “hold my beer”

ElShalimo

you’re not doing very well at hiding your prejudices

somafunk

In any sane country we’d have more like her but unfortunately we’re a nation of cap-doffers who mistake accents and affectations for intelligence and have a horrible ingrained snobbery which means that anyone outside a certain privileged, elite caste is simply dismissed in Westminster.

nailed it

big_n_daft
    Free Member

almost as much as they would if she sounded Welsh, or Scottish…

Gordon Brown sounded Scottish, so did Alistair Darling, didn’t hold them back much

argee

ElShalimo

you’re not doing very well at hiding your prejudices

I’m not doing well at hiding my disdain for watching labour think that if they keep doing the same thing over again they’ll get a different result.

IdleJon

A lot of people will have a negative gut reaction her because she sounds “Northern”

A lot of people will also have a negative gut reaction to her being in power because she’s a woman, as evidenced by some of the posts on here.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Name the country where regional accents aren’t associated with intelligence and an ingrained snobbery

poly
    Free Member

. But she is very much a northerner (I was brought up not far from her). I can see how some people and voters may not like how she comes across.

I really admire Angela Rayner. I think it’s great that she’s actually a real human being who’s had real life experience. And say what you like about her but Johnson hates her for just these reasons.

I guess it depends on the number of voters from the home counties who might see her as rough around the edges v’s the rest of the country who are few up with politicians come from the same oxbridge mould?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

A lot of people will also have a negative gut reaction to her being in power because she’s a woman, as evidenced by some of the posts on here.

Surprisingly a labour problem,

IdleJon

Name the country where regional accents aren’t associated with intelligence and an ingrained snobbery

Does it matter what happens in other countries, in this respect?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Statement was a comparison of the UK with any sane country.

IdleJon

Statement was a comparison of the UK with any sane country.

Makes sense now! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Just listening to Angela Rayner at PMQ’s’ is closed to new replies.