• This topic has 85 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Just how "Wrong" is a Road Triple chainset?
  • bob_summers

34*32, although that was for Mte Zoncolan – not sure whether he’s a habitual compact user.

Semi-related question – I’m looking for a new crank on ebay (FSA sl-k) and often the triple version is cheaper than the double. So if I take the granny off (leaving 52 39), is it just a normal double or is the chainline and spacing off?

elliptic
    Free Member

The spacing between rings will be the same but the chainline on the middle/outer will be slightly further outboard. No big deal though so long as you trim the front mech to suit.

scud
    Free Member

I personally have a compact up front and two cassettes 11-25 for normal day to day riding and an 11-30 i bodged together especially for the Dragon Ride, i’m a big guy of normal fitness and it was fine for me. Trouble if you get to a point where you are riding in granny at front and 28 rear then you are probably being overtaken by people walking.

mogrim

34*32, although that was for Mte Zoncolan – not sure whether he’s a habitual compact user.

Seem to remember he used something similar a couple of years ago at the Vuelta when they headed up La Bola del Mundo in Madrid.

Trouble if you get to a point where you are riding in granny at front and 28 rear then you are probably being overtaken by people walking.

Not quite, but not far off 🙂

bob_summers

Thanks, would be another option then.

D0NK

if you get to a point where you are riding in granny at front and 28 rear then you are probably being overtaken by people walking.

people say the same about mtb gearing, if it gets to the point where you are grinding up a hill with a really low gear there won’t be many walkers passing you, coz they’ll be struggling to get up there too – maybe the odd runner may pass you.

Of course my usual pedal til I puke, stop for a breather, pedal til I puke, stop for a rest method may over time be slower than walkers – but that’s a fitness issue not gearing 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Just how "Wrong" is a Road Triple chainset?’ is closed to new replies.