Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Just how bad can a Skoda VRS be…
  • Kryton57

… at this price?

http://www.freedomcontracts.com/Skoda-Octavia-Estate-2.0-TDi-VRS-184-BHP-5Dr-Business-Lease/2005

I may have to swallow my pride I’m mightily tempted. Is the ride as harsh as people say? My wife hates the idea and won’t sanction it, I’m sure my BMW driving work colleagues will take the piss big time, so its a tough call…

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I found Skodas as a passenger to be quite firm but solid rides and are a bit slide happy 😉

sc-xc

It’s the diesel one. So pretty dull,

hydromonkey
    Free Member

I tested one when I was choosing a new car in 2013. It was easily one of the harshest cars I have ever drove and as a former car mechanic I’ve driven a few cars. Knew after about 500yards it was not the car for me.

sing1etrack

There’s some cracking skoda lease deals about at the moment, that one works out at about 220 a month which is pretty good for a brand new, big family car with a good spec and engine. I could be tempted by the new superb on a similar deal but can’t really justify chopping in my Octy just at the moment. It won’t be dull, and certainly not bad, but won’t be as exciting as its body kit and twin exhausts might make you believe, which is the downside of the [diesel] vrs for me.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not sure where you get the harsh ride bollocks from. I’ve driven one and it was less harsh than my wife’s BMW and my Mondeo. I didn’t think there was anything wrong with them and see why they’re popular.

legend
    Free Member

Likwise, drive one a couple of weeks ago, certainly didn’t feel harsh. Dull, but not harsh

angeldust
    Free Member

Ride is very harsh. Terrible car.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Not as harsh as I have heard they are at all and not as dull as some claim. They are a bit tacky looking though and power doesn’t really match the bodykit. The guy at who has one claims it’s a ‘performance car bargain’ it’s not really a performance car not is it a bargain. He insists on referring to it as an ‘octy’ and says other owners flash their lights at him, but he only flashes back at other VRS owners, oh the price of exclusivity. I wouldn’t have one as I like driving and would feel embarrassed by it’s looks.

I own a bmw btw… So my opinion may be knobish

ffej
    Free Member

I have one, ride is firm – something I think is common to all the current model Octavias.. but I wouldn’t say harsh. Certainly more forgiving than anything Audi in S line guise..
    It’s plenty fast enough for me and good fun when you get a bit of empty road to yourself.
    Practical, loads of space in the back (I’m 6″ 5 and could comfortably sit behind myself if that makes sense) and pretty good on long journeys.
    As for the image.. I like it and I’m old enough not to give a flying “^!*( what others think about what I drive!

Jeff

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Search around, I’m sure I’ve seen them cheaper than that.

Sancho
    Free Member

I got one of the standard octavias.
    Had the BMW and mercs over the years.
    Don’t see any difference in quality.
    And prefer not to be associated with the BMW merc, audi **** anymore.
    Doesn’t stop me being a **** lol

hydromonkey
    Free Member

The harshness all depends on the year, apparently up to 2012 vrs’ are very good but the 2013 I tested was simply terrible. The one I tested was a dealer demo new car so doubt it what any major problems. I ended up with a mondeo estate titanium x which is a far better car in every area.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Not a bad price for not a bad car I guess. I’m sure it’s more than quick enough (same as my 320d) but as others have said they have a lot of show for a little bit more go than the average mundeo etc

I’d still be tempted. I assume the lovely alpha has been disowned?!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t think they’re that bad, but I’ve just ordered one as a company car.

The ride didn’t seem too bad to me on a decent length test drive, but my point of reference is a 330 M Sport on run flats; now that is harsh.

I’m getting loads of stick for ordering a Skoda, but it was the best value, best specc’d, biggest, quickest thing on my car list. People are talking as though a 118d (my other option) is somehow interesting. The interior isn’t quite as nice as a new BMW or Audi but it’s the same if not better as a Ford. They’re not exciting, but then not many four pot diesels are.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do they not do a fabia monte carlo? ( a vrs without the “sports” suspension and naff seats)

Either way youll need new sunnies.

timba
    Free Member

The mk 1 Octavia VRS was IMHO “harsh”. The later ones are bigger and much more pleasant on a long journey. I’d have one

Kryton57

Still got the Alfa RRR, just considering my options. The Scout is the same price which may be a more practical bet for constant biking duties, and with 4wd to boot.

I’d be going for the <8k miles option at £170 a month

slackalice
    Free Member

Could the ride be possibly described as harsh, but fair?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got a 320d estate and quite frankly there is no comparison. The Octavia is a standard dull VAG car with a poky engine put in it, and because the chassis isn’t great the only way it can be made to handle better is to stiffen it up.

The BM is designed to drive well to start with. The latest generation one is incredible in terms of how they have my it very plush yet when you push on it drives incredibly well

The Octavia certainly isn’t a bad car, it just isn’t the car it pretends to be.

iainc

Interested in this one as when my BMW company car goes back next year I am getting a car allowance and have been considering a Scout, or maybe an XC60. The Skoda is the sensible money option. Wonder how it would feel after 3yrs of a 530d tourer ?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Taking image out of it, the Octavia can’t compare to the current 3 series, nor e9x.

shifter
    Free Member

Went to the Alps on one last month. Didn’t notice any harshness as a driver or passenger.
    Isn’t <8k for a modern Diesel contrary to standard STW advice?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends what your used to driving.

My comfy spongy french van. Lovely,

The hire focus i had in the usa felt harsh as hell in comparison – like it was hanging up in all the bumps…..

Infact my french van makes my land rover with soft long travel springs and 13invh travel shocks feels harsh over bumps in comparison- and the wing mirrors near touch the floor when you corner in the landy – its soft!

jamesfts
    Free Member

Doing <8k I wouldn’t entertain a diesel, though I wouldn’t entertain a 4 pot diesel in the 1st place.

The petrol is a nice enough car and with a map at least has some go to match the show. Ride isn’t crashy considering the wheel/tyre size though I’ve not driven the latest version.

Wasn’t my 1st choice but as an overall package you can’t really fault it.

nickhart
    Free Member

I love ours. It’s a fantastic car. Thought it a little harsh to start with but soon got used to it and find it incredibly comfortable except on some of Sheffield’s worst roads. More than makes up for itself on welsh mountain roads though.
    We tested the diesel and ordered one but ended up with a petrol. Very long story. The diesel is a stocking motor so much addictive torque, loads of fun. The petrol isn’t quite as torquey but has more bhp, lovely and quiet, fast, stable, will slide if you’re lead footed in the corners or crack handed but I’ve managed some rediculous corner speeds with no under steer, the fancy inside wheel braking system helps with that.
    Adaptive headlights are simply superb, looking round the corner where you’re going, makes night driving safer and quicker. We’ve had ours coming up for two years and it’s still on original pads, original tyres (have got a winter set too but neither are near replacing any time soon).
    It has loads of room in it, the seats are comfy and supportive. The only negative for the seating is the rear passengers don’t have a very good view out the front as the front seats are quite big and solid.
    Fuel economy isn’t great on the petrol. Round town, being sensible I can get low thirties (very sensible), being in a rush brings that way down to high teens! Out in countryside though thirties to forties is the norm even being enthusiastic.
    Oh and you can get a 29er in the boot, wheels out, saddle down, with the parcel shelf in place and the back seats up! Do that in your beemers!
    Negatives, view from the back (I’m the only driver in our house so not an issue!), some of the trim is too shiny on sunny days causes the odd reflection where I wouldn’t want it. People who are small in the trouser department say why didn’t you buy an Audi…..
    All in all I love ours, test one I’ll be surprised if you are disappointed at that price.

johndoh
    Free Member

Certainly more forgiving than anything Audi in S line guise

Have you driven the newer ones? The ride is vastly *VASTLY* improved now. (Owner of current generation A6 S-Line and former owner of previous generation A6 S-Line).

iolo
    Free Member

I have an two year old A1 S line. It’s a great ride. Precise, like train round corners but I definitely wouldn’t call it harsh.

Inbred456
    Free Member

If you add the Vat on with the one off charge it works out at £250 a month for 8000 miles a year. It’s okay but not amazing. Go to a dealer and do a test drive then tell them about this deal you may be surprised and get a better deal with the dealer. I did with my Yeti. Does the Diesel have the V8 noise generator?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had a Limited Edition VRS (170BHP Audi engine, pimpy seats etc) on an 09 plate (400 miles on the clock ex dem when I got it). 2 years, 49,000 miles of mainly motorway miles and 8 breakdowns later I said good riddance to it.

Wouldnt own another Skoda if it was free.

Kryton57

If you add the Vat on with the one off charge it works out at £250 a month for 8000 miles a year.

Actually £269 on average. The Simpsons deal is the best I’ve seen at £1990 down and £199 a month is £273 a month average.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Ant be that bad . The police love them and they don’t usually have crap .

Kryton57

Found a Golf GTD Nav 184bhp diesel for £170. Manual and cloth interior only though. Can you get a bike in the back?

porlus
    Free Member

If its similar size to a 1 series you will have to take the front wheel off with the seats down. For comparison my C456 fits in the back of my mk3 Octavia estate with wheels attached and back seats down.

Bregante

Can’t be that bad .The fleet managers who work for the Police Service and who actually have no experience of what the Police need from a decent resilient vehicle that is likely to be driven for 24 hrs a day seven days a week but who negotiate very competitive deals so just go ahead and buy them anyway love them and they don’t usually have crap

FIFY 🙂

The one I have access to is perhaps the most universally hated car in our fleet. And as my other choices include a Kia Ce’ed, a Toyota something or other and a Zafira, that’s saying a lot.

porlus
    Free Member

Plonker

If its similar size to a 1 series you will have to take the front wheel off with the seats down. For comparison my C456 fits in the back of my mk3 Octavia estate with wheels attached and back seats down.

Meant to say HATCH. Estate would be even better.

hora
    Free Member

‘Can you get a bike in thd back’?

I wouldnt put a mountain bike anywhere near the interior.

Roof rack it.

Where did you see the deal at 170?

cheers_drive

I have a Scout on a similar lease deal. Had it for month / 700 miles and very happy so far. Had a 10 year old A3 before, the Scout is obviously much larger inside but doesn’t feel any larger to drive. Handling feels as good as the A3 but ride much better. Interior of Scout is nicer than a VRS especially as with a lease car you don’t want to add extras. The quality of the interior trim is mixed and certainly not up to Audi standards, think more Mondeo.
    I don’t need the 4×4 and it’s fitted with summer tyres as standard, having said that I think it’s just changed to the 2016 spec which has an off road mode similar to the Yet I.

IMO the VRS is what boy racers get when they have a family; all body kit, not so much go.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you are worried about the ride of the VR, then why not go for the boggo Octy estate ??

King-ocelot
    Free Member

IMO the VRS is what boy racers get when they have a family; all body kit, not so much go.

It’s not, they have Astra vxrs, or older Imprezas. The VRS is for 9-5 workers who think they are different and think it’s quick.

People who are small in the trouser department say why didn’t you buy an Audi…..

Perhaps this isn’t anything to do with the size of their cocks and is a genuine question. It must be bemusing to see the cost of a lease on an Octavia and an Audi and see you pick the Skoda. It’s essentially a tacky version.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Just how bad can a Skoda VRS be…’ is closed to new replies.