Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Just had what James May describes as "the Fizz"
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I have never owned a fast/nice car or for that matter ever been in one but i have just been for a ride in a Porsche 911 turbo. It is 15 years old but oh my gosh it felt incredibly quick and powerful. A very short blast of full throttle and i was pinned to my seat and my loins fizzing away. I very much enjoyed that and was only marginally disappointed to ride home in my grand picasso!

righog
    Free Member

These are a bit older but the same idea, I would love a shot in a 911 Turbo

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3mBl5se4lg[/video]

blader1611
    Free Member

Have to say the only sign of age on the car was that it had a cassette player in it! Was quite shocked to think that it was only 15 years ago that we still had cassettes, i thought it was about a 1000 years.
    What a machine though, definately a licence eater if you are not careful.

jimbobo
    Free Member

My 2004 Seat had a tape player. I suspect in a Porsche you have to pay extra to spec a decent sound system, I’d prefer just to listen to the engine!

righog
    Free Member

Sorry OP again this is a little older than the one you had a blast in.

I don#t know why I torture myself looking at these things 🙂

However I would really like to feel the Turbo come in after the lag just once.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDo67maiZDo[/video]

tonyg2003

Quite a few of the 996 generation 911 Turbos have been mapped in the past which does make them “quite quick”.

They are still pretty epic 🙂

CountZero

What a machine though, definately a licence eater if you are not careful.

Just starting a Mercedes C63 AMG will give you ‘the fizz”! Sounds like a WW2 fighter starting up, and I can attest that losing your licence is a very real possibility if you let your enthusiasm get the better of you!
    😀
    I just about managed to keep my enthusiasm under control, I enjoy my job too much to risk losing my licence…

blader1611
    Free Member

Righog – i do quite like that era of porsche. I think the one i was in was a 996/7 generation but didnt have the x51 power pack which adds 30 bhp (coz it really needed an extra 30!). According to the dealer the car is an appreciating soon to be classic. I couldnt work out whether that was sales BS or true but looking on line he might have had a point.

blader1611
    Free Member

Countzero – never been in or near a performance merc, i have a 7 year old B class and inside it looks way older than the porsche,such a let down. Only other merc i have been in was the new GLA and that is just a luxury,lazy driving motor.

tonyg2003

996 turbo’s with the x51 pack have been going up in price. Who knows whether this appreciation will continue! You probably wouldn’t lose money on it.

righog
    Free Member

Blader I am discussing buying a 996 911 as a savings plan. I reckon he was right, I dont think I could stretch to a Turbo mind, I think the cheapest I have seen so far is 37,000, so it would be the bog standard on Carrera 2 for me.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Was the 996 the first era when Porsche didn’t just machinegun sort of similar, but not quite matching either, clocks and gauges randomly about the dash?

Yeah ‘brisk’ ain’t they. I once saw one perform a very hard start, a little chirp from the tyres as all 4 span slightly as it took off and it was gone.

A mate owns a 930, he paid as big but very cheap by today’s standards price for it, it was a bit rough but it’s been complete restored now, it must be worth a fortune. It’s meant to be a total handful.

blader1611
    Free Member

This porsche was on a 52 plate and it was pretty mint,it has the triptonic gearbox so i dont know if that has any bearing on future prices. I certainly wouldnt have turned it down if i had the money.

tonyg2003

Manuals are more desirable to collectors than the tiptronics. They are pretty good although nothing like the new PDK.

Never had the time, place (disused runway probably!) or bottle to try the launch control start on mine. Must be insane!

prettygreenparrot

Went in a Porsche 911 back in 1984. Even at regular legal speeds it was an experience. the noise, the lowness to the ground, the simplicity of the inside.

I understand these new-fangled electric cars have a bit of oomph too.
    [video]https://youtu.be/xDO9blfpCS4[/video]

Del

😀

Klunk
    Free Member

GTR

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEr5cbkNabY[/video]

Klunk
    Free Member

gtrs seem to too fast for most 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3o33X-ogY[/video]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Just had what James May describes as "the Fizz"’ is closed to new replies.