Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Just had the mother of all Whities
  • johndoh
    Free Member

My granddad used to get calluses on the back of his eyeball – they basically popped the eyeball out with tyre levers and scraped them off. Under a local. And of course he could still see out of the eye whilst it was having a rest on his cheek…

But he was a proper Yorkshire miner/steelworker and built like a brick shithouse. More of a man in his 80s than I could have ever have hoped to be.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Years ago I used to go to Moorfields eye hospital in on a regular basis and to treat a defective cornea. I had a similar episode when the consultant described the corneal transplant procedure to me. Fortunately on the big day I was under general anaesthetic, though for a subsequent eye operation I had the whole thing done under a local anaesthetic.
    I was strangely calm fearing the consequences of moving more than the scalpel!

wiggles
    Free Member

Sliced my hand open badly in a drunken fight with a tree…

Put a plaster on it and went to bed, on reflection the next day I decided to go to a&e to get it checked out. They told me I had waited too long for stiches and the flesh was dying off, so had to sit there (hungover) whilst they used numerous needles to inject local anaesthetic and saline solution directly into the wound then proceeded to cut off the edges with a scalpel before trying to stick me back together!

I’m not the squeamish type but that was not a good hangover cure…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Fair play to you guys.

A puddle of sweat?

For the avoidance of any doubt, all sectretions were from my face. The nurse mopped them up with paper towels. They were a slip hazard. I can’t imagine what the patients in the waiting room thought was going on with me lying on the floor as the doctor rushed out to find the nurse

samuri
    Free Member

AHAH! He does have some flaws.
    Just makes him all the more perfect in my eyes (sic).

Only time I’ve passed out is from pain when I banged my broken knee. (After I broke it I figured I’d take my son to his football club for a match and we could go to the hospital afterwards). I banged it in the car.

Like an explosion in my head.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve passed out a few times, the last time I woke up to find my other half had put me in the recovery position.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I keep getting chalazions on my eyelid( like a cyst), and when they remove them by flipping your eyelid and going in with the scalpel it certainly has me twitching.

johndoh
    Free Member

Another time with that Mini – I was putting a wheel on, spun it round and caught my hand in the rear rotor arm, ripping off a fingernail.

Ouch I thought so went inside to rinse it off.

The next I knew I was being dragged by my feet by my mum across the kitchen – turned out I’d fainted and fallen through a window in the back door – she found me hanging through the aperture and somehow managed not to have cut my head/neck at all :-/

oldgit
    Free Member

Only time I’ve passed out is from pain when I banged my broken knee. (After I broke it I figured I’d take my son to his football club for a match and we could go to the hospital afterwards). I banged it in the car.

Ran after the ball in a game of beach football, did an impressive sliding tackle trying to stop the ball going under a parked car. (they had massive chrome bumpers back then) the bumper won. Lower leg stopped dead, upper leg carried on.
    But this is what I didn’t expect. After hours of careful nursing a huge bloke walked in and ‘just put it right’. One massive vomit followed by a lovely long sleep.

johndoh
    Free Member

Chalazions? Is that more than gazillions?

Dickyboy

few years back now but it only took an episode of Casualty for me to go all Procol Harum & keel over in the kitchen 😳

swiss01
    Free Member

i once broke a guy’s toe off and the nurse who was with me was sick. does that count?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I got a metal splinter in my eye from an angle grinder. I thought it had come out but a few days later it I was in agony and couldn’t open the eye. A visit to A&E, some dye in my eye and the metal was dragged out with a magnet.

maccruiskeen

Does anyone else suffer with this reaction to hospital environments?

Ms Maccruiskeen used to be terrible for it – a phobic reaction to any sort of medical procedure that results with a major faint. A faint for her isn’t a swoon its a crash to the floor and really ill for several days afterwards. She’s even managed to faint in her sleep which is a hard thing to imagine but she reassures me that its an absolutely horrible experience. I’ve only seen her faint once and its horrifying – I really expected broken bones.

Exposure therapy came in the form of her making a film about a guy who majorly self harms and having to rush him to hospital when he’d opened himself up bone deep from elbow to wrist. She’s since worked on ‘Keeping Britain Alive’ and similar and that seems to have helped reduce her reactions a bit. Before that an eye test was sufficient to knock her out, now not so often she’ll be effected.

Recently though she needed to fly to Uganda at short notice which required a mad dash to get the shots, the visas and renew her passport. Getting the shots she got the inkling a faint was coming and was explaining to the nurse she was going to get on down on the floor just to be safe. She got halfway to the floor and fainted anyway, coming round with a lovely big carpet burn on her face. An hour later she got her passport photo done so she can relive the moment every time we travel for the next decade

maccruiskeen

I had a steroid injection to help with the pain in my elbow following a fracture. I’m comfortable around needles and doctors. In goes the needle and she starts moving it around in my joint. She was poking around in there for a good 3 minutes. Felt like a life time.

Indeed the steroid injection (I had one for me knee) is majorly queazy it just seems to go on so long. With things like injections I’m fine but don’t like to look, so you have this awkward thing of trying to casually find something else to look at. During my steroid injection it goes on so long I’d run out of things to look at and my eyes caught the eyes of the doctor – big mistake – he looked like he was going faint.

I’ve had to have a fluid sample taken from the knee too and thats horrible because the fluid seems a bit difficult to chase down – 4 or 5 attempts or probing and poking about.

Lumber puncture on the cards at the moment.

JohnnyPanic

I all but had one a few weeks ago. Wrenched my thumb quite badly so I’m in the hand clinic a few days later and they want to numb the thumb up so they can ‘manipulate’.

Two stingy injections either side of the base of the thumb and I could feel it coming on. Head buzzing, ears ringing, sweats. Got down on the floor curled up and managed to just avoid passing out. I’m not a fan of needles but never had that reaction before. Doctor was a real hottie too.

sugdenr
    Free Member

my dads a doc. as kids when we needed stitching it was dining table and one spare family member per limb, serious. looking back it seems like napoleonic surgery.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

had a really bad infected ingrown toenail that was too wide and dug into my toe every time i put pressure on my foot – done by an apprentice doc under the supervision of a proper doc as a teen. Involved cutting a segment of my toe and nail out to stop it growing back whilst i watched. I quite liked watching all the blood come out etc as I couldn’t feel anything. However the injection into tender swollen pussey area of the toe was agony. Is this gonna hurt..?.’it may be a little uncomfortable for a moment’…lol

Worth it though…they did a grand job – never had the issue occur again.
    Had both big toes done.

Not quiet sure what happened once when I had an op.. woke up in the room outside of the theatre, but not in the main hospital area surrounded by operation trolleys… think i went back to sleep..

haggis1978

Yo McMoonter! Ive not read all the other replies here but i hope you read this. You know you should have been wearing goggles when welding at the very least if not a mask, dont you?

My brother lost his eye recently after something like this happened. The actual accident happened over 20 years ago when he was messing about with a broken alarm clock he was trying to fix, something pinged into his eye and never came out. His eye sight in that eye deteriorated over the years and he had to wear glasses whilst continually using eye drops every day. One day he wakes on holiday in Thailand, goes to wash his face and his eyeball pops. No more eyeball. Now has a bit of coral in his eye socket to fill the space.

Not worth the risk bud. He’s going to struggle to find another job now.

mangoridebike

Man this was the wrong thread to read whilst eating breakfast 🙁

Squidlord
    Free Member

I nearly fainted just reading this thread!

cardo

An ex girlfriend of mine pinched her fingers in the car door so big brave boyfriend here took one look and went all “McMoonter” too… Everyone thought it was hilarious and it took her mind off her fingers whilst I was being scraped off the floor.

johndoh
    Free Member

An old school friend once put his own arm in a school fence and broke it – just to avoid having to do an exam.

😯

theotherjonv

Like Johnny Panic – I bust a finger playing in goal a few years back that needed resetting under local. The doc told me it would be slightly uncomfortable, pushed the needle into the base of the finger a few mm, the local stings a bit, and I’m thinking ‘grrrrr, this is nothing’. But he waits a few seconds, and then starts poking hilt deep with the needle, about an inch and a half deep. **** me, that was uncomfortable!

But that’s not it. He then delivered the immortal ‘right, now for the other side’ and that’s when I opted for a lay down before I fell down.

When I broke another finger a few years later, I opted for home treatment rather than risking that again. It never fixed properly and I have a permanently crooked pinky as a result……

Tango-Man
    Free Member

A chap I played rugby with years ago broke his jaw quite badly(6′ 2″, 17 stone beast), walked off the field, I drove him to hospital, he walked in explained, went for treatment into the cubicle, holding his jaw, gets examined poked and prodded, nurse comes in to administer something for the pain, he looks at the needle and T I M B E RRRRRRR, went down like a sack of crap.

Pussy

wwaswas

goes to wash his face and his eyeball pops

I’m struggling to find an appropriate emoticon for this.

boobs

My goal keeper at school was taking down the nets and slid down the post removing a bollock on a hook.

globalti
    Free Member

My late Irish buddy once told me he had lost so many contact lenses that he thought they were all floating around behind his eyeballs!

He was a lawyer and supposedly intelligent!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I like, totally, did this exact thing a few weeks back! I’d come off my bike and ended up in A&E, and a week later I saw an orthopedic consultant. I was expecting to be told pretty much the same thing then as A&E told me, i.e. – ‘you’ve bruised yourself’

The consultant looked at my CT scan and saw a 5cm fracture in my sternum that no one had spotted. The trouble was, in the intervening week I’d been cycling to work, lifting 20kg bags of coal (in pain) and just getting on with it basically! The sudden news of my injury, caused me to go into sudden shock.

A remember a sweat breaking out on my forehead as he was telling me and eventually the nurse noticed something was wrong, asking me if I was okay. I had enough time to say ‘I feel faint’ – before the lights went completely out. It was quite scary just how fast I went from feeling ‘uncomfortable’ to completely unconscious.

Apparently I hit the floor, threw my phone across the room as I fell and then proceeded to fit – with a blocked airway. I was out for about a minute or so and came round in the recovery position, nurses around me, and with a doctor in my face telling me what had happened.

I guess if you are going to faint for the first (and hopefully last) time, a hospital is probably the best place to do this.

Not pleasant. 😕

16stonepig
    Free Member

Couple of years ago, had broken my wrist snowboarding. Had some pins put in under general, but when it came to having them taken out, they had no recovery beds available, and therefore couldn’t give an anaesthetic. The result was a burly surgeon holding some pliers, and two (admittedly lovely looking) junior doctors steadying my arm. The first pin was ok, if a bit painful, but when the second one got stuck and he had to give it a few good twists…

I believe I said “I think I’d better have a lie d…” and that’s all I remember before finding myself lying on a gurney with said junior doctors leaning over me all concerned.

ahwiles
    Free Member

about 6 years ago, i had a tooth removed.

the local anaesthetic doesn’t seem to work very well on me and it wasn’t a comfortable experience.

(broken tooth, which broke even more, it got messy)

about half-way ‘through’ the dentist asked the nurse to pass him something, the nursed who didn’t look well, fainted and fell over.

the dentist and i were splattered in my blood, but we both managed a little chuckle…

imagine my joy when i discovered that i need another tooth removed (either that or a root-canal)

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

Had an eye op under local where they cut open the underside of the eyelids to remove cysts, my view was of both the scalpel descending towards my eye and then the cauterizing iron coming towards me followed by a puff of burning flesh smoke (and the smell to go with it) coming up from my eye. I didn’t whitey (+ i was lying down already) but to this day I have the image of the puff of smoke rising from my eye socket burned into my brain

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I can’t read this thread without making ridiculous gurgling sounds, wincing, lots of legs moving about, looking away from the screen and jumping in my seat and quick scrolling down.

Something about eyes and knee damage that just….I can’t hack it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Some men faint when they hear they’ve broken something they thought they had bruised?

Has mumsnet taken over singletrack?

dabble
    Free Member

I’m forever cutting me sen at work (the inhumanity of it all 🙁 </emo>) n taking chunks out me self on the bike and never fainted. Not too fussed when its me.
    However, I once bit and ate a big chunk off a block of resin then watched the film Hannibal, whitied at the scene where (Spoiler alert) he takes the top of his head off, woke up on the floor in my living room sweating cobs. Not sure which was the culprit there. I have since watched the film again and felt very queasy at that scene but not passed out. The scene in Hard Candy (spoiler alert) where she cuts his knackers off made me whitey too, sat next to a rather attractive lady 😳

crikey
    Free Member

Lollopity lol at the fainty ladies…

I have seen so many things that while qualified as a nurse I am not at liberty to share, but would cover most of the stuff you would write into a horror film while thinking ‘Hmmm, maybe we’re going too far…’

beefheart
    Free Member

I’m not good with ‘eye injuries’ either.
    Last summer I played golf with some colleagues….
    I bent down to pick up a mate’s ball from in a bush, and the point of a long spiky palm tree type bush penetrated straight into my eyeball.
    I was blinded, but carried on for another 5 holes, before going home and going to bed.
    The next morning I was blind, in agony, and went straight to A+E.
    They spent the day poking around in my eye, getting bits of thorn out.
    It was worse than any MTB injury/bone break I have ever had, and I had to put CREAM INTO MY EYE for a week afterwards.
    I haven’t played golf since- that is some gnarly shit!

Flaperon

Did you get an x-ray of your eye? Might be worth doing before you ever have need of an MRI…

ononeorange

Crikey – the all-powerful being that is McMoonter shows a sliver of weakness!

Yes, had something hideous done to an eye some years back, it brings me out in cold sweats still now.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Just had the mother of all Whities’ is closed to new replies.