Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • Just had row with next door neighbour
  • Bunnyhop

We’ve lived next door to them for over 6 years (semi detached).

Today I come down from my workroom in the attic to the smell of fumes filling the upstairs rooms. She has her diesel car running.
    I ask her politely could she turn off the engine, I then get a tirade of abuse. It turns out she has her 18 month old baby in the car on one of the hottest days of the year.
    Now if I can smell fumes then surely (even with the air con on) the child will be getting some smell through the open car windows.

I stupidly in the heat of the moment said I wouldn’t put a child in a car in this heat and she’s really kicked off.

She said I’m calling her an unfit mother, she doesn’t want to reason or listen.

We get on with all our neighbours and this is going to be tough as they are attached to us. My husband plays drums, (which he has now stopped with them having a baby), so I got an earful of her complaining about that. She’s shouting that my husband came round one night to complain about her noise (endless parties).

We’ve tolerated them having endless parties when we first moved in (they were in their mid 20s then). They smoke around the baby, not just cigarettes but other stuff.

Every evening since the warm weather the boyfriend has lit a barbecue which of course blows the smoke into our garden.

They had 2 barking dogs when we first moved in which drove me mad, (only have one now).

Their cat digs up my veg plots.

Our young nephew often stays over and has had unbroken nights sleep with their baby crying.

In our close (a small cul de sac) we all get on, help each other with looking out for properties and keeping an eye on the 2 elderly residents.

Because I work from home I often take in all the parcels full of tat that she buys from China for the child.

Anyway, I know there are far worse things in the world than this.
    Just had to get a rant off my chest.

theflatboy
    Free Member

No offence, but this – “I stupidly in the heat of the moment said I wouldn’t put a child in a car in this heat”, this – “My husband plays drums”, this – “a barbecue which of course blows the smoke into our garden” and this – “unbroken nights sleep with their baby crying” make me think living next door to you guys isn’t exactly paradise…

binners

You need to start taking a more hardline approach

jekkyl

lol @

I often take in all the parcels full of tat that she buys from China

6/10 – no swearing or subtle hints at violence.

peterfile
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re not cut out for having a house adjoined to someone else’s 🙂

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I think i might be your neighbour, without the kiddy 🙂

kayak23

Go round with some wine or something and nip it. No point letting tension grow and get out of control. Either that or have them….taken care of.

camo16
    Free Member

Go round with some wine or something and nip it. No point letting tension grow and get out of control.

+1

headfirst
    Free Member

It’s great this hot weather, innit. Brings out the best in people. 😐

wwaswas

I do hope bunnyhop doesn’t revisit this thread, it’s not going to be calming.

wrecker
    Free Member

Need to start throwing used female sanitary products over the fence I reckon. Double points for getting them in the pond, Triple for the trampoline.

binners

Do you want us all to come round for a massive all night party, with a whopping great big sound system on the back of a flat bed truck?

Junkyard
    Free Member

make me think living next door to you guys isn’t exactly paradise…

Leave it they are both lovely

That is why I rarely start a thread you often end up the victim of someone elses need to have a pop pointlessly

Agre ewith nip it in the bud though they seem a bit chavvy [ see I will take your grief now ]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That is why I rarely start a thread you often end up the victim of someone elses need to have a pop pointlessly

Coward.

🙂

nbt

Gosh you’ve got a very active imagination.

Flaperon

Go round with some wine or something and nip it. No point letting tension grow and get out of control. Either that or have them….taken care of.

Tried that after falling out with my neighbours. They took the wine, slammed the door in my face, and haven’t spoken a word since. Uneasy truce, I think.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m really not having a pop, but the bit about the baby crying was the tipping point, as the parent of an 11-month old. Not really much you can do about crying babies – coincidentally our neighbour above plays the drums. We never mention it, he doesn’t seem bothered about the crying baby. Give and take, and all that.

We also have barbecues…

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re not cut out for having a house adjoined to someone else’s

Is anyone?

Bunnyhop’s neighbours, yesterday:

wrecker
    Free Member

Agre ewith nip it in the bud though they seem a bit chavvy

Damn classist! 😀

retro83
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member

Go round with some wine or something and nip it. No point letting tension grow and get out of control.

Indeed, and when they’ve gone out, draw a big peenor on their lawn using vinegar.

Duggan

Lets be honest a lot of the points raised in the OP seem pretty academic and irrelevant to the issue. I take the OP’s point about car fumes filling the bedroom though as I suppose that could be a bit annoying.

Kayak23 is totally right imo and I would just go round and apologise and avoid the inevitable years of acrimony with a ten minute chat.

Regardless of whether you’re right or wrong it will be for the best in the long run, maybe just make up some bullshit about some other stressful situation that tipped you over the edge or whatever.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

make me think living next door to you guys isn’t exactly paradise…

Leave it they are both lovely

What JY said…

chewkw
    Free Member

“I stupidly in the heat of the moment said I wouldn’t put a child in a car in this heat”

Yes, that is stupid. Never talk about others’ little preciousssssss …

Let the child roast and boil until the fresh fall off like freshly roasted piglet. Then lick the tear off the parents cheeks for not taking your advice.

Alternatively, live and let live after all it’s summer …

My mate is a grumpy bloke but if he lives next door to me he would meet my mate Benelli M4 in the face. I told him that. 😆

jekkyl

go round with some wine? by the sounds of them a 4L bottle of cider might be more appealing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

‘m really not having a pop, but the bit about the baby crying was the tipping point, as the parent of an 11-month old

You do not want to hear it and get a good nights sleep but you produced it so your problem – FOUR **** YEARS I HAD WITH MY ELDEST
    Do you think your neighbours want to hear it?

Thankfully ours were deaf so it was a non issue but we did discuss it with them as we assumed it would be waking them

patriotpro
    Free Member

Sounds like they’re more likely to appreciate a bag of skunk than a poxy bottle of vinegar. 😉

cinnamon_girl

No need for nasty comments. 😐

Children’s thermostats are different to adult thermostats. Bunnyhop was absolutely right to be concerned about the child.

chewkw
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member

Sounds like they’re more likely to appreciate a bag of skunk than a poxy bottle of vinegar.

Or get them hook on meth then treat/use them as slaves … 😈

binners

Go with the wine suggestion. Which one you opt for is the only dilemma

DezB
    Free Member

Bunnyhop was absolutely right to be concerned about the child. stick her nose in. 😉

jekkyl

lol@binners
    Why was the kid in the car on the drive anyway? cooling down with the air con?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Start digging out for your new patio or under a pond is a good one too so I’ve heard

wwaswas

cooling down with the air con?

but bunnyhop said the car windows were open?

maybe the kid was asleep when she pulled up after going out and she wanted her to sleep a bit longer?

edlong
    Free Member

There’s a big section of people in here really don’t like people who are “working class” isn’t there?

Said it before and I’ll say it again – your snobbery says a lot more about you than it does about them.

DezB
    Free Member

edlong – there’s working class and there’s scumbags.
    Do you have to be working class to smoke and leave your kid in a car?
    Get real.

wrecker
    Free Member

Children’s thermostats are different to adult thermostats

We have thermostats? What do they switch?

brakes
    Free Member

just to clear things up, your neighbour’s toddler was sat in the car on the drive with the air con on keeping it cool because it was hot outside?

nbt

with the engine running and the windows open, usually. And it;s not to keep her cool, it’s the get her to sleep as “she sleeps better there”, it’s happpened all through winter too (although with the windows closed then)

jfletch
    Free Member

Not really much you can do about crying babies

That is twaddle – There is shit loads you can do about crying babies.

Step 1 – Try to figure out why they are crying and fix it.
    Step 2 – If you aren’t able to fix it take the baby to the point of the house where it will least affect the neighbours

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve heard of some middle class folks leaving their children in far more vulnerable places.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Just had row with next door neighbour’ is closed to new replies.