Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Just got side-swiped by a school-bus….
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

cheers Nick 🙂

Aidy
    Free Member

I reported an incident to the police after being knocked off my bike and assaulted.

They politely listened, got the driver in for a chat.

Then they told me that if I continued making a nuisance of myself they’d be after me for breach of the public order because I had the nerve to shout back at the driver.

gixer.john
    Free Member

I would also have contacted the bus operator and reminded them of the drivers responsibilities under The Health And safety act 1974, as well as The Road Traffic Act. It tends to make the person on the end of the phone pay a bit of attention if you can let them know you know a fair bit about legal responsibilities of employers as well as employees. Council would have to investigate if you made a complaint to them.

I had a similar experience with a coach which tried to squeeze past me as i was going through a reduced width carraigeway, which was reduced as part of the traffic calming measures – didn’t calm me down 👿

bigyinn
    Free Member

Aidy – Member

I reported an incident to the police after being knocked off my bike and assaulted.

They politely listened, got the driver in for a chat.

Then they told me that if I continued making a nuisance of myself they’d be after me for breach of the public order because I had the nerve to shout back at the driver.
    Im hoping there’s more to that story than you’re telling us,otherwise something is VERY wrong.

Aidy
    Free Member

Im hoping there’s more to that story than you’re telling us,otherwise something is VERY wrong.

Oh, I did mis-speak and say that I was “angry” that they were choosing not to take any action, which they interpreted to be an action of aggression and indicative that I probably caused the entire thing, apparently.

Coyote
    Free Member

Remember the majority of bus drivers are sensible decent folk, it’s just a minority that cause the problems

You won’t be familiar with Arriva drivers then?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just seen the friendly plod.

Bus driver has been officially interviewed, he claims he saw me and gave me enough space (which he did once I had got off the road)

Due to clean license record, and the fact he’s bricking it, he’s getting a formal caution.

Be interesting to see how he overtakes me on monday morning….

ronjeremy
    Free Member

helmet cam for monday morning?

smile and a cheery wave…

wwaswas

get your neighbour to follow the bus, just in case…

good result, I think, and well done to you for pursuing it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ultimatley, he didn’t actually cause an accident (through my preventative action) so he could only be penalsied for careless driving. According to the plod, he’s so shook up, it should have sunk in not to risk it again.

But… what helmet cam for commuting?

poly
    Free Member

Police officer is a cyclist and is going to take him to court for points or driver safety course.

Just seen the friendly plod.

Bus driver has been officially interviewed, he claims he saw me and gave me enough space (which he did once I had got off the road)

mmm… so “plod” has realised that in fact its not HIS decisions to take to court and pursue for points or course changed his view on the incident.

If his bus touched your bike or you fell off the bike and he didn’t stop at the scene of the accident to exchange details etc then I’d expect a very serious response. It sounds like he simply caused you to swerve and stop – so the response is probably proportionate.

And not trying to take the bus drivers side – but I bet you don’t approach that traffic island leaving enough room for him to even consider an overtake on Monday!

mattsccm
    Free Member

I believe the onus is on the overtaking vehicle to deal with the space and timing of the manouver as long as the other vehicle maintains a steady and predictable course. With allowance for emergencies etc.

bigyinn
    Free Member

How was it this morning for you ir_bandito?

gwaelod
    Free Member

http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.com/2012/01/sorry-but-is-sorry-always-good-enough.html

Getting cyclists off the roads maybe what drivers like this are seeking to achieve. There is an overwhelming public interest in ensuring that they do not succeed. This ought to rank above the job security of professional drivers who prove themselves to be temperamentally unsuited to their work.

Speshpaul

“I believe the onus is on the overtaking vehicle to deal with the space and timing of the manouver as long as the other vehicle maintains a steady and predictable course.”

Thats a message that seems to have been lost by most drivers.

Anyways, sounds like a good result. Maybe the bus drivers experience will have an effect on his driving (a positive one 🙂 and the message may leak out to some of his fellow drivers.

jarvo
    Free Member

Really sorry to bump an old thread. It was linked to in a recent thread, and I wanted to add a valid response.

But… what helmet cam for commuting?

A friend of mine living in London was knocked from his bike and the car crushed it. I can’t recall the details, but I don’t think the driver stopped. The police stated that as it was my friends words against the drivers, there was nothing they could do.

Since then, he’s been wearing a head-cam for his daily commute. He feels it’s better safer than sorry, to have tangible evidence. Plus he vents anger against poor driving by uploading videos to youtube!

organic355
    Free Member

bus drivers are a bloody menace. worse than any one else on the road.

Apart from Audi and BMW drivers, naturally.

I am an Audi driver and a cyclist, does this mean I am a menace to myself?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bus drivers need to be properly trained to interact with bikes smoothly. Edinburgh ones have been and the difference over the years is noticeable.

patriotpro
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I wouldn’t even bother with the bus co, they’ll just reply with flim-flam like “appropriate action has been taken but we can’t tell you what that is due to data protection.”

🙄

As helpful as ever eh… Try to READ AND ABSORB the OP – He’s asking for advice of what to do, not what not to do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are you now following me round here to flame my 6 month-old posts?

GO YOU!

Part of what to do is excluding what not to do.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Just got side-swiped by a school-bus….’ is closed to new replies.