Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,366 total)
  • Just got Elite Dangerous
  • Mikkel

I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing but think I will run some courier missions and replace the hauler that I just bought as I was to lazy to move around to find a place with more ships available.

matt_bl

Go to EDDB (Elite Dangerous Databases, I think). Takes the guesswork out of travel. You can select the ship you want and find the closest station which sells it.

Also good for finding the most profitable trades.

Matt

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I get my money’s worth from the insurance people.

I think we all do. As many new ships as you want for just the excess and we never seem to pay any premiums.

Saccades

I’ve been mining at high metal content rings. I scan them with the discovery scanner and it shows up hotspots.

I get scanned on the way down with an empty hold and left alone. Occasionally I need to drop one or two things in the cargo hold to stay alive (no weapons).

Made 30mil this afternoon, getting faster as I recognise cores.

Decided to follow v8ninty to an extent, looking to get the farseer stuff done.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Need to suss out mining then for 30m in an afternoon.

Saccades

Have 1t of meta alloys 😲

Now to get to the engineer…

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Oops. Stayed up til gone four last night without realising it – this really hardly ever happens to me with computer games so it just goes to show how absorbing it can be.

Bought the Alliance Crusader, but now worrying if it was the right thing to do. Since it’s a bit of an all-rounder I sold the AspX too, on the basis that if this works I should be able to whip up the funds to get another one reasonably easily.

I’ve kitted it out for combat, but it’s a bit sluggish compared to the Asp. Already failed to mass lock one pirate in an Asp cos he was going too fast. I think I might go hunting for meta alloys next.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

My wife cancelled her holidays for this week and is today for her 2 day week.

I may be on later.

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

Oops. Stayed up til gone four last night without realising it

I know! It’s a massive real time shrinker isn’t it?

Bought the Alliance Crusader

Ooh, you recruiting for SLF pilots? That would significantly increase its combat effectiveness and resilience 😎👍🏼

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’d love a bit of multi-crew but I don’t have SLF, that’s the Challenger.

Saccades

I noticed you still up as I went to bed at 0030, I’ll message you next time…

Work tonight, might get on later.

Edit to say: got to the farseer and did a basic upgrade, I forget which. Plan to keep the AspX as a miner/longish range machine and will upgrade the fsd.

Then plan to get a proper long range jobbie as I want to get the “busy X” trophies and have an explore.

Somehow got the Kepler’s eye trophy last night – I’m going to have to find where as I was only just off the beaten track bypassing obscured fsd targets.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I will rebuy my AspX as soon as I can. I think I’m going to try mining. Maybe a bit more combat with the new ship to try it out – but it doesn’t pay that well.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Anyone else come across systems with status ‘outbreak’ and feel a pang of sympathy?

matt_bl

Getting the hang of mining now. Picked up an ASPx for a 96t hold capacity. The last run was 19M worth of void opals, alexandrite and low temperature diamonds, which took around two hours. I’m sure if i’d shopped around I could have got another couple of mil but I’m lazy and wanted to sell them all in one place.

Tempted now to stick the asp in storage and go back to bounty hunting for a bit.

I love how you can chop and change play styles. Is the ASPx the best cheapish explorer? Even kitted for mining I have a range of 20Ly

Matt

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

How do you find the stuff? Fly to the right system, prospector limpets, then pew pew and collector limpets?

How do you know which system/planet has the good stuff?

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

**** if I know – I can’t even work out what to do with the fragments I pick up. Bit over it all, to be fair.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I got frustrated my first few goes, most of it didn’t make any sense. Sat on it for about a month, persevered mostly cos I paid more than the recent sale price, then when it clicked it started to make sense.

Oh – there’s a manual, you can download it. Worth a read.

Saccades

Google painite double hotspots – gave me more instruction than regular threads.

With the right setup do the following.

Go to a planet with a ring, planet needs to be high metal or icy.

Scan the ring with discovery scanner (whist cruising).

It’ll show up hotspots for mining as orange rings.

Head to one, land about 1.6mn away. Use the centre as a destination to stop you getting turned around in the asteroid field.

Use the pulse wave scanner to find asteroids that glow orange, these contain stuff to mine. Use the prospecter limpet to check content, target it as it goes to the asteroid.
    Garlic clove shape generally have a core. Core mining is where the money is. The core shows up as a blue message.

Use mining laser to take some stuff, use abrasion laser to take surface stuff off.

Now you have to target the asteroid fissures (they are only on asteroids with a core), there are 3 strengths. Use a seismic charge launcher to match the strength. Once the first hits you get 90 seconds, you also get a sensor on the top left. Each charge gets closer to the blue “optimum” line. I work on high/ave strength til I’m close then use low to tip it into the blue.

Move 1km away and set shield to max for the detonation.

Use collector limpets to get your stuff. Oh, I load up with about 60 limpets, they are interchangeable.

Remember to use the abrasion laser to get the stuff from the middle out.

Refinery has bins for each type of stuff, get the most bins you can saves you dumping stuff.

Things you need.

Mining laser
    Abrasion laser
    Seismic charge launcher
    Oc pulse wave analyser
    Collector limpets controller
    Prospector limpets controller
    Detailed surface scanner
    Refinery

Remember to set you fire groups, I have pulse/dss set to A with prospector on b as my hunting set up, the all the other mining weapons linked to collectors in sets 2,3 and 4.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

That’s bloody complicated.

I wonder if I can buy another AspX for a dedicated mining setup – a lot easier than shuffling kit around each time..? Or is the Challenger better than AspX so I might as well use it?

Saccades

I’d go dedicated miner – I just swap out the refinery for a fuel scoop at the mo.

It’s about 20 mill to get it fully fitted out, a good afternoon minings worth, does have 32ky range too.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I haven’t got the liquidity to invest in a miner currently, I don’t think.

Creg

I’m not sure if my game is bugged or I’m just stuck with limpets that are thick as shit.

Crack open an asteroid, use the abrasion blaster to chip minerals off, send the limpets in and they fly straight into something and explode. I find I have to get right into the center of the split asteroid and hope for the best otherwise I burn up all my limpets.

Still, good thruster practice dodging chunks of asteroid I suppose. Might get myself set up with a mining specific ship when I get to Colonia if there is anything worth mining and trading there.

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

Great mining post Sac, thank you. I’ve failed miserably so far at making any money from it but I can see a few areas that I was going wrong now, cheers. Also, where did you find your meta alloys?

matt_bl

There’s not much to add to that other than, learn your asteroid types! Each field type rocky, metallic, icy has a single asteroid type which will have a core. Once you know the type you will hit a core every time.

For icy it’s the ‘smaller’ popcorn, bunch of grapes asteroid, with big nobbles.

For metallic it is egg shaped, but obviously only in one plane.

Check out a guy called Down to Earth Astronomy on youtube. It is the clearest guide I have seen.

With the collector limpets, don’t select a target then fire or they only pick up one fragment. Also makes sure your cargo hatch is clear, it can get blocked and the limpets die if you try and get in the broken asteroid too quickly. Hang back, let the limpets do their stuff and ping the surface deposits with your abrasion blaster. Look for the sights ‘pulling’ to the target, even fixed they seem to gimbal a bit.

Matt

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

In No Man’s Sky, you shoot the asteroids, they blow up, the chunks zoom into your cargo hold. You get precious metals in every one. And space is about 50% filled with huge asteroids. Which raises the question: if they are so plentiful, productive, and easy to mine, why are the metals still precious and why do people pay you good money for them?

One of many many reasons why ED is so much better. OTOH VR in NMS is great.

Premier Icon tenfoot
    Subscriber

Also, where did you find your meta alloys?

According to eddb.io you can find them at Danielle’s Progress in the Maia system. Despite playing for 2 years, I’ve never tried engineering, so I’m on my way there at the moment to pick some up for Felicity Farseer

matt_bl

I’m on the look out now for a good home base. I’m currently near Crom. The list of requirements is:

Near anarchy or low-security for collecting bounties
    Good outfitting and ship building
    Near some good mining (deep core)
    Decent place to sell within a couple of jumps

What area is anyone else in, do you know of anything which fits the bill?

I haven’t aligned to the federation or anyone else yet, has anyone done this? What are the benefits?

Matt

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I aligned to the Federation so I could support Felicia Winters, because she’s a leftie and I thought I could improve the lot of the poorest and most downtrodden Federation citizens. Not done any missions for her yet though.

I dunno about any bases fitting your criteria – I’ve been hanging around places with high-tech, and looking for booms. Kinda boring but too lucrative to ignore currently.

In other news, the Challenger is awesome. It feels sluggish at first compared to the smaller ship, but it accelerates and brakes better which is useful and also whilst it doesn’t necessarily change direction that fast, it comes about more quickly and drifts, which some how makes it easier to keep on a target. And even with only one large hardpoint with 3E burst laser I tore a Competent Anaconda to shreds in no time.

My favoured loadout seeems to be beam lasers on one trigger to strip shields then burst lasers and multicannons on the other to damage hull. Also experimenting with a railgun and seeker missiles on another fire group for when they run away.

matt_bl

Interesting stuff about the challenger, the next upgrade for bounties would be something with a bigger gun platform.

I’ve seen big ships do a kind of flip move, then back up to speed quickly, so it sounds like your ship is that kind of boat. I have only dared to get involved with an anaconda once and that was with the FEDS on my side so we could double (triple) team. Beam lasers really rip the shields but heat up fast.

I really noticed the deceleration rate when I moved from the cobra to the aspx for mining, I crashed into two head on before I learned to slow down earlier!

Matt

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Is the ASPx the best cheapish explorer?

It arguably the best long range exploration ship in the game. Mine has 60ly jump range and all the internal space needed for SRVs a big fuel scoop and a small shield.

In other news, the Challenger is awesome.

I think the Cheiftain is a a better all rounder for bounty hunting and general combat because its a lot more agile.

You lose a little in hull strength but you should get hit less often, but all the alliance ships are pretty solid.

I use 3 small beam lasers and 2 large and one medium multicannon.

If you have Felicity Farseer unlocked you should upgrade the thrusters to grade 3 dirty drives to get better speeed and maneuverability.

You should also have access to Tod the Blaster, upgrade your MCs to Overcharged

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’ve seen big ships do a kind of flip move, then back up to speed quickly

That’s not a Challenger thing – it’s what you can do when you turn flight assist off……

I think the Cheiftain is a a better all rounder for bounty hunting and general combat because its a lot more agile.

Yes for combat, but I wanted an all-rounder.

How do you get an AspX up to 60ly? Is that with engineering and guardian upgrades?

I’ve priced up an exploration package using D rated subs and the best I can get it to is 36ly unladen with a 16t fuel tank and 8t cargo rack. Power plant is minimum size.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

36ly is pretty good without engineering. Have you fitted a smaller sized power plant? (go the smallest A rated that will still power the ship. you can even go slightly above you power cap by switching off things like the cargo hatch and the SRV bay until you need them.

The Guardian frame shift booster gives you a flat increase depending on the module size, they come in 4, 5 and 6 slot sizes. I think my AspX has a size five which gives 8ly boost. You can still get a very respectable jump range without though just using engineering and to be honest collecting the Guardian tech is a bloody grind.

If you have Horizons you should have access to Felicity Farseer straight away. You need to take 1 Meta Alloy and have your Exploration rank up to Scout. If you fly out to Maia (which has a station that always sells Meta Alloys) and scan all the planets and systems on you way there, then jump a few systems to the side and fly back so you aren’t passing through the same systems on the way back, you should get enough exploration data to rank up.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’m heading to Maia anyway so I won’t feel like I’m cheating if I happen upon meta alloys for sale 🙂

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Do you get the AspX up to 32Ly just by minimising mass?

matt_bl

Have you got a 5A FSD, then weight reduction seems to be the way forward? I’m not sure you’ll get very high above 30 and have it useable for much.

I have had a night of getting killed, I’m on my third viper of the evening. An expert Fer-de-lance killed me and then I got rammed by a pirate in a federal gunship.

Matt

matt_bl

@Molgrips are you off exploring. I’m heading towards one edge of the bubble myself. Then gonna see what’s out there!

Matt

Yup, lowest level power plant you can get away with, D rated isn’t as efficient but is lightest, highest FSD and then the lightest D rated kit after. I’m up to 25 on my Cobra just now with a 3A FSD. Plotting a route to Maia, only 19 jumps, looks like I can do a tourist gig that takes me relatively close though I’ll need to see where the other stops take me.

This is fun planning all this out, bonus being I should unlock Maartuk just by getting to Maia.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Worth remembering you don’t need a huge jump range for exploration.

You level up exploration by well “exploring”! So if you set a course for say Barnards Loop in a ship with a 25-30ly jump range you just visit more systems on you way there than you would do in 55-60ly jump ship.

So long as you are 25ly+ I think you are fine. Shorter jump ranges make it a lot easier to get “dead ended” You can end up stranded with low fuel too far from any scoopable stars. Unless you are way out on the fringes of the galaxy where the stars are really spaced out anything with a half decent jump range should be perfectly viable for gathering exploration data.

Ships with a really long jump range are handy for hops outside the bubble to gather materials or for passenger missions where you’re not really interested in exploration on the way just the payoff when you deliver the passengers.

Its still worth doing Increased Range engineering on every ship you use regularly though. There is pretty much no downside.

An Alliance Cheiftain is never going to be a great trading or exploration vessel, but upgrading and having a 20ly+ jump range while loaded for bear makes bounty hunting and pirate assassination missions easier because every mission you are offered is almost guaranteed to be within one jump.

Premier Icon tenfoot
    Subscriber

This is what I’ve been doing with my Orca. I’ve been taking long range passenger sightseeing missions to help with my exploration status (passenger transport counts as a trade mission I think). Each sightseeing mission is around 90 jumps of around 20Ly. The payout for the mission isn’t great but the money comes from exploration, which increases the rank. It does get a bit of a grind though, jumping in, honking and using the FSS to pick up every planetary body in the system. It’s cool when you get a new discovery though, because assuming you get back to a base and sell the information before anyone has discovered it, your user tag goes on that planetary body, over all of the platforms.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,366 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.