Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,990 total)
  • Just got Elite Dangerous
  • matt_bl
    Free Member

Yeah, true, there’s always solo, or mobius or another private group.

I’ve always played in open (probably easier on the PS4) and haven’t lost a ship to gankers yet, I have been interdicted 6 or 7 times though.

Saying that, I have only been to Shinrata once, Deciat maybe three times and New Borann once. Only Deciat actually has anyhting I want/need.

Matt

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve always played in open

I’ve never played in open. I don’t have an Xbox Live gold subscription.

mrchrispy

its back on offer (PS and PS4) and after getting cold feet last time i really really might just give it ago this time around….but what platform to go for??

6.99 on the PS4
    4.99 on the PC

I’m leaning towards PS4 for the controller.

molgrips
    Free Member

PS4 cos you can wing up with us.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Exactly! I’m building a gunship and could use a fighter pilot.

Matt

mrchrispy

PS4 bought.
    just need to pry the teenager off it now :/

matt_bl
    Free Member

Ha ha, good luck with that! Getting my daughter off minecraft is tougher than manual docking a type-9!

Matt

molgrips
    Free Member

If you want to fill the spare seats in other people’s ships, you’ll need the Horizons pack too remember.

son-of-mike
    Free Member

@bushwacked – unlock Sol & do a fly-by of Earth? Or head to Pomeche 2C and fly down the canyons? Or head to an asteroid belt or a ring, turn of flight assist and your HUD and boost it through the field?? Or go to an anarchy system and look for a wedding barge

@matt_bl
    FYI, Voyagers are something like 240,000 LS out in 3306. Pack tea & biscuits for that one. 🙂

I finally got Elite in trading after a run to new Borann in the poxy 20LY jump Python. Just done my first trip to Farseer so now starting the engineering process

squirrelking
    Free Member

@matt_bl cheers for the offer but I’m not that fussed for the moment, the LTD’s were just an unexpected find. I’m actually more interested in basic elements at the moment for engineer mods. As for Deciat, first time ever, it happens to us all. Was tempted to go back out in my Cobra but under no illusions I’d just be wasting the rebuy on that as well.

I’m leaning towards PS4 for the controller.

I’d have leant exactly the opposite way, way too complex for a controller.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or go to an anarchy system and look for a wedding barge…

That’s one of the coldest things I’ve seen in a video game!

son-of-mike
    Free Member

@molgrips – he hadn’t even written his vows yet 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

No colder than your average civilian massacre mission. Barring that’s just for shits and giggles.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Speaking of…

Just went rogue. Went on a wee trip to another system and interdicted wanted stuff on the way. Only the guy I pulled in the high security system wasn’t wanted by the time I opened fire. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. Took out the novice that tried to claim me afterwards then high waked it out of there when the authorities showed up.

Was a communist system anyway, will avoid it in future.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

matt_bl

35Cr per light year, no-one needs money that badly!

@Bushwacked
    where are you at in terms of the game? Need money? Need engineering? Guardian stuff? I have been doing some engineer unlocks and visiting prominent sites in the game recently, not great if you’re looking to make money, but interesting. Davs Hope, Jamesons Cobra (there’s an interesting site on the wrong planet near Jamesons Cobra! Good story, a bit ‘the thing’). Next I’m going to Sol and find voyager.

I’ve unlocked two engineers but not really sure what to do. Done some mining and made £10m, upgraded my ship but just not sure what to do now. Might do as someone above suggests and unlock Sol but then what?

matt_bl
    Free Member

The simple answer is you can do whatever you want. The trouble is knowing about it and trying to do it all. I have tried to a bit of everything.

The progression in the game is typically via ships and through engineering (the unlock requirements make you try a wide range of game styles), but then on top of that it’s about how that bigger/modified ship helps you do what you want to do. The engineers are going to improve your ship, each one typically does different things, Felicity Farseer is typically first and her key mod is to your FSD. A stock Cobra mkIII wil jump 10.5Ly, A rate the FSD it will do 22.5, let Felicity upgrade it to Level 5 with Deep Charge and you will get 36.35! (add a Guardian FSD booster and you’re in to the forties). Other engineers will do the same thing for your drives, guns, shields, etc.

One word of warning at this point Flic (I’ve been to see her a lot) is based at Deciat which is home to gankers who like to kill players heading there for the first time, using fully engineered PvP ships. Either practice escaping interdiction (not evading the interdiction like you would with an NPC, but preparing and keeping calm and following a plan once you have been interdicted) or go there in solo. I can tell you how I deal with interdiction in more detail if you like or if you are on PS4 I would be happy to interdict you in my pirate ship for practice (the lasers I have will wreck your shields but not damage your hull).

Each engineer has different unlock requirements, like so many things you can find this out in INARA (google it). Third party tools are very useful in Elite. Use them as much as your role playing/immersion allows (EDDB is another good one).

There is an optimum way to do everything in Elite. In my opinion some of those optimum ways are very dull, but if you have limited time they are quick. If you want to make money, the meta is mining, LTD mining using sub-surface displacement missiles in the new triple hotspot. As you have seen most mining will pay pretty well. Many of the other challenges in the game are not that bad when you have the right knowledge.

I would just choose one goal, then the things you need sort of fall out from that. If you want to go exploring, you need a new ship (like cycling you always need n+1), engineer the FSD, get the money and materials to pay for it, get a guardian FSD booster, fit it out, trial run etc.

I just want to do something of everything and I change from day to day. This is probably why I haven’t committed to a long range exploration trip yet. I have 13 ships, for exploring, mining, trading, combat, piracy. In the last couple of days I have searched for INRA sites, mined painite, built a ship for fighter use in RES, done wing trade missions on my own, run a passenger service, unlocked another engineer.

If you need help with anything, give me a shout and I’ll do what I can.

Matt

son-of-mike
    Free Member

@bushwacked well, it’s really up you, no set way to play the game. I decided cash in the bank would mean I could relax and do the things I wanted without pressure so I spent a fair bit of time mining and trading. The mining taught me better thruster control. I usually fly from point to point with a purpose and have something in the hold to trade at my destination. The Road To Riches tool on Spansh means you can have a go at exploring and using the FSS tool to scan the system. I’ve needed those skills since starting the engineering process.

I only started engineering this week (despite playing for a couple of months). By scanning and doing missions along the way (e.g. to unlock Sol) it seems I’d picked up quite a few of the bits I needed for engineering at Farseer. 2 months in and I’ve not been in the SRV yet although it looks like I’ll need it for some engineering bits. There’s just so much to do, it’s hard to know where to start.

There are some great guides online on how to engineer effectively. Farseer needs x1 ton of meta-alloys so my suggestion would be to head to the Maia system to buy it. And without tools like Inara, EDDB.io and Spansh I’d be lost. I also just installed EDEngineer and it’s been a great help in building the shopping list of items I need for engineering.

son-of-mike
    Free Member

@matt_bl

in the new triple hotspot

I give you a the new quad LTD hotspot. Downside, 1200LY outside The Bubble.

matt_bl
    Free Member

That’s not the downside it would have been pre-fleet carriers. If you include travel time it probably isn’t much better for a lone player.

Trouble is the gankers can get out there on their fleet carriers!

Matt

matt_bl
    Free Member

Just completed the unlock for Marcus Qwent, is he the worst engineer in the game or what?

Three stage unlock process
    No G5 modules
    Self indulgent base name

Tick, tick, tick!

Matt

matt_bl
    Free Member

It’ll be dead easy to find my fleet carrier, no-one else will have called theirs….

335 <without any name>
    100 Fleet Carrier
    34 Event Horizon
    20 Red Dwarf
    18 Nostromo
    16 Galactica
    14 USG Ishimura
    13 Aurora
    13 Leviathan
    12 Serenity
    11 Prometheus
    10 Destiny
    10 Graf Zeppelin
    10 Nautilus
    9 Nebuchadnezzar

Matt

molgrips
    Free Member

No Enterprises or NCC1701? Blimey.

Out of that list (bar the first two) I only recognise nine. Well, I recognise Nebuchadnezzar but not as a spaceship.

Also thoroughly disappointed by the lack of Culture ship names in that list. If you get one PLEASE can you call it ‘Of Course I Still Love You’

richmtb

No Heart of Gold either?

Iz dissapoint

EDIT

If I ever get a Fleet Carrier i’m calling it “IT’S A TRAP!”

Jakester
    Free Member

As a former player of Elite and Frontier: Elite II off the back of this thread I too have downloaded and started playing ED. Oh, the memories it brings back! Oh, the grind I forgot!

Had a torrid time “upgrading” from the Cobra to the Keelback – whadda mistaka to make-a!
    Got nerfed each time I was interdicted because it was so slow.

Quickly got shot of that for an AspX which mean I could avoid interdiction most times, and when upgraded meant I stood a fighting chance.

I got some real money supplying Tritium, and used that to buy a Python – which rapidly increased the available income – buy at 4300, sell at 51,000 – with a capacity of 256t that meant about 12million profit each trip!

Now doing the Engineers – god, what a pain. Schlep to Deciat, only to be told you have to go to Maia. Schlep to Maia, get the meta-alloys, then back to Deciat – only to be told you need materials. Now aimlessly wandering the system to track down grid resistors etc to get the components.

matt_bl
    Free Member

@Molgrips Nebuchadnezzar is from the Matrix

Sorry, had to laugh, no way is the Keelback an upgrade from anything. Much love for the python though! I read on here that you needed meta-alloys for Flic so I had them before I went. The other stuff I just do as and when, which is probably why I only have 4 or 5 engineers unlocked.

Last night I got stuck in Electra and HIP 17403 looking for sensor fragments. Great systems, Electra has space anemones and a wrecked megaship hauler (still shot at me!), HIP 17403 has a crashed Thargoid, biologicals and science base that was attacked by Thargoids when they started cutting one up! I thought that was a nice overnight parking spot!

Matt

Jakester
    Free Member

Sorry, had to laugh, no way is the Keelback an upgrade from anything.

Yes, that was an expensive and annoying misstep!

son-of-mike
    Free Member

@richmtb – ha, good name for a ship. There are some creative fleet carrier names. I saw one parked out at New Borann called Epstein’s Miners – ooft. If I had one I’d be tempted to call it Holdo’s Driving School.

@matt_bl
    – thanks for the tips on those locations, I’ll take a nosey. Elvira Martuuk is bit greedy, she took a bunch of my materials and she’s not offered much in exchange so far. I even went to get her flippin’ Soontil Relics in advance.

I headed to Millese system to have a look at The Printworks asteroid base, pretty cool but I got stuck behind a Type 9 as it got wedged in the mailslot and I was using a docking computer which stubbornly tried to push on through. Cue much panic & swearing as I tried to disengage the docking computer and back out before the shooting started, just got out in time but picked up a 300cr fine. Doh.

matt_bl
    Free Member

@son-of-mike when I opened the game at the base today there was a thargoid ship, doing something to it, scanning maybe. Just a heads up!

Matt

squirrelking
    Free Member

Also thoroughly disappointed by the lack of Culture ship names in that list.

I’m considering Staberinde for mine. I’m pretty sure I spotted a Gravitas variation the other day though.

Actually surprised I’ve not seen an Executor in my travels, I’d have thought that was an obvious one. Or Event Horizon, could be a deep, deep space explorer.

Jakester
    Free Member

Bah. Found a mega ship, scanned it, and they asked me to (and I quote) “Blast the hatches open” to free the escape pods. Duly went in with guns only to find out that causes a bounty to be put on you.

Legged it to nearest station – wouldn’t let me in, system authority ship nukes me. 5.5million down the pan.

I do get it is meant to be very open-ended but a little steer every now and again might help! How was I supposed to know you need hatch breaker limpets?

Grr.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I agree, I’ve sucked up quite a few rebuys (35 and counting) only to discover later that there is a much easier and typically pretty logical way to do something!

Matt

son-of-mike
    Free Member

a little steer every now and again might help!

It would’ve saved me a good 10 mins trying to work out why it wouldn’t allow me to re-board my ship from the SRV. I was directly under the bay, but no, you need to have the SRV facing the right way, i.e. the way it drives out – you’d think they’d have some sort of turntable for it in the hangar, like in space stations.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was directly under the bay, but no, you need to have the SRV facing the right way, i.e. the way it drives out – you’d think they’d have some sort of turntable for it in the hangar, like in space stations.
    Posted 16 minutes ago

That has not been my experience.

Drive out facing towards the rear of the ship, drive in facing towrds the front of the ship. No problems.
    As long as i’ve parked inside the docking box and the board ship light is lit then it’s been all gravy.

Jakester
    Free Member

So, schlepped out to Robigo to take part in the ‘150million/ph’ bonanza – actually only getting 3 – 5mill per trip, say 10/15 mins per trip. Am I missing something? Is it to do with capacity? I have 24 cabins. Do you need substantially more? I have a 21l/y drive – I know they recommend 30ly but that’s only adding on a few mins per trip.

At the moment it’s way less than I was managing just trading Tritium on a single system jump (made about 11million per trip, say 10 mins round trip = 66million or so per hour for less hassle). Add in a three system jump and that was about 12.5million per trip.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The most relaxing way to make coin for me these days is to hang out in the station that orbits the planet with the double painite hotspot in the high security system in the bubble*

Jump into the hotspot in the Corevette** , say hi to the cops who are patrolling the ring, mine me 384 tonnes of abundant painite, sell it for 716K credits per tonne to the fleet carrier orbiting the same planet, then back in the station for bedtime…. all within an 8ls distance of each other.

No pirates, No jumps no long supercruise, no interdictions.

Just some chilled out mining and 275 million of sweet, sweet cash in about an hour.

*GRCV 1568 AB1 A ring
    ** 5 mining lasers, 3 5A limpet controllers. No core or surface / subsurface kit required. Every second rock is at least 30% painite.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I agree with Perchy on both points, always park the SRV the opposite way round to driving out, though you do need to be ‘a lot’ further forward than you think. The phantom is the best, as you just bump against the front strut.

Painite mining is super easy, with some of the rocks @ >60% the hold fills up so quickly. I have been going to Hyades Sector DB-X D1-112, planet 2. Which is usually ~100Ly from a decent sell spot, though there are carriers on station.

Just happened to have 30t of Void Opals last night and found a sell station for >1.6M Cr!

@Perchypanther
    when are you buying your carrier?

Matt

perchypanther
    Free Member

when are you buying your carrier?

I think it’ll be a good while yet before the “Panther’s Perch” sets sail.

Maybe it’ll be a Christmas treat to myself.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I can’t find the system you listed on INARA, Hyades is good, but kinda on the wrong side of the bubble for me.

Matt

perchypanther
    Free Member

I can’t find the system you listed on INARA,

Sorry, Typo on my part…

GCRV 1568.

Planet AB1

Ring A

Cernan Dock.

Saccades
    Free Member

“I’m so aloooOOOOoooonnnnnne….”

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,990 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.