Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Just got back from sierra nevada
  • SlowJohn
    Free Member

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3436/3249324536_16058518ef_b.jpg[/img]Just came back from the best holiday i have ever had heres a few photos

SlowJohn
    Free Member

SlowJohn
    Free Member

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3376/3249318670_ed7a8a67a2_b.jpg[/img]

met some lads there under the name of the numplumz

rs
    Free Member

thats not a few photos, thats the same photo twice, must try harder!

EDIT: thats better!!!

SlowJohn
    Free Member

theres a few more ūüėÄ got loads will get them up tomorrow it reallly was excellent i went with the company freeride spain and they were superb

SlowJohn
    Free Member

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/3249450393_401811e88a_b.jpg[/img]

giantjason
    Free Member

i am off there in 3 weeks and cant wait!!

warm sunshine and dry dusty trails……a nice change from the UK!

richc
    Free Member

who did you go with?

SlowJohn
    Free Member

i went with freeride spain i can highly recommend them. Supposed to go with a few mates but they pulled out so decided to go alone. The other people in the photos are lads that were already there a really nice bunch but far faster up and down than me ūüėē they ride under the name of the numplumz

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I went with Ride Sierra Nevada last May. Absolutely loved it. Fantastic riding. Let me warn you, riding in the Peak District seemed a bit naff in comparison. If you’ve ever skied it is the difference between skiing in the Alps and skiing in Scotland.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thought I recognised some of the views.

Is the group shot on the hill part of the ‚Äúcoast‚ÄĚ ride? If so, did you do that brilliant MX track just afterwards?

Almost made me forget how absolutely knackered I was by that point.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

yes chaka it was and that track was superb fast flowy all the way down to the coast absolutely mint

SlowJohn
    Free Member

on the coast ride they took us up a trail they called the sticky wicket it was the most gruelling technical climb i have ever attempted

johni
    Free Member

Great trails there. I went with Switch-backs.com as I prefer to spend more time descending than climbing.

Wish I was going again this year but sadly the arrival of JnrI has put biking hols on hold for a year or 2.

stumpy01

I went last yr with Ciclo Montana and had a great time, although we were a bit further from the coast. I think they do a tour to the coast though….

Nice pics ‚Äď I found a lot of the trails way more technical than I could handle, but great all the same.

Kit
    Free Member

Bah! I‚Äôve been twice with freeride spain now, and both times the legendary coastal ride was mentioned but never attempted. Probably because I wasn‚Äôt considered fit enough to cope‚Ķ Anyway, good hols ūüôā

My photos from 2 years ago (click photo):

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you do the Tello ride? That had my favourite bit in, the long gradual but brilliantly technical descent that stops at a gate IIRC.

Possibly my fave ride ever, despite nearly collapsing on the climb.

Kit ‚Äď the Coast ride actually had an uplift at the start, but they still managed to work lots and lots of climbing in.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

the trails wee very technical but i had a go at most things think i came away from there having done much more than i thought i was capable of ūüėÄ

SlowJohn
    Free Member

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/3250282300_2d4ee2b2c5_b.jpg[/img]

Yetiman
    Free Member

Heading back out in May with Ciclo Montana. Can’t wait to ride those dry dusty trails again. My fitness and technical ability comes on leaps and bounds out there. This was the Elephants Trunk from last September and I go past at 14 seconds. Made it down with only 2 dabs but I was crapping it all the way.

stumpy01

Yetiman…..when are you out there? We are going on the 17th May back to Ciclo Montana……..mmmmmm, looking forward to the freezing pool and frequent caffe con leche stops!!

That youtube vid‚Ķ..that‚Äôs the trail you can see on the opposite side of the valley ‚Äď right? I papped it down there ‚Äď it took me ages.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Stumpy ‚Äď We are going the week before you on the 10th. The trail you‚Äôre thinking of is the elephants tail which you can see just across the valley. The Elephants Trunk is further along the valley to the left as you look from the Ciclo house. Both very similar. I struggled the first time I rode it as I suffer a wee bit from vertigo and the drops are massive but I nailed it the following year. I love it out there.

The-Beard

I’ve been out with Freeride Spain, was an excellent trip! I recognise a few of the locations in those photo’s!

Damn ‚Äď really want to go back now‚Ķ

jambon
    Free Member

Another shout out for Ciclo Montana ‚Äď gone 3 years running ‚Äď awesome riding and a great homely atmosphere that Marco and Jacky provide. Can‚Äôt recommend it enough.

stumpy01

Yetiman‚Ķ.Yes, it was the Elephants Tail ‚Äď to be honest, I did wonder if you had the name mixed up ūüôā I didn‚Äôt realise there was a trunk and a tail ‚Äď although I can see what they‚Äôve done there.
    The trail in your vid looks a lot tighter than the Elephants Tail, but with less large obstacles to negotiate.

I found the holiday quite an eyeopener in terms of technicality (there’s not much similar at my normal Thetford haunt!! HA HA), but I did find that my ability improved throughout the week, if not my nerve.
    At one point Matt and Marco joked that I must be a butterfly enthusiast as I kept diving off the trail into various grass/bushes/streams at random intervals.

And yes, jambon…..the hospitality is excellent. You feel like old friends after about 5 mins and are very well looked after!

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Another satisfied FreerideSpain customer here, We really enjoyed the ride to the beach (although I binned it pretty hard on that MX track/swoopy bit near the masts! Man, the saltwater makes your cuts sting!) Have been there for the last two years and really enjoyed the whole experience, one of our group has a handy translation for Freeride-speak though:

If anyone goes to Freeridespain the following may come in handy…

FreeRideSpain guide to English dictionary

Climb ‚Äď steep climb
    Cheeky climb ‚Äď Unbelievably steep climb
    8Km climb (gets easier after first 3Km) ‚Äď 11Km unbelievably steep climb with even steeper switchbacks with about 10 meters of less steep bits
    Traverse ‚Äď steep climb with un rideable rock sections
    Cheeky Traverse ‚Äď Really steep climb with lots of rocky sections that are not rideable
    Decent ‚Äď Steep and rocky with switch backs
    Cheeky decent ‚Äď Really steep and rock with switchbacks and drops
    Rock, steep decent ‚Äď Really, really steep rock decent with switch backs, drops, possible not rideable unless you‚Äôre super human or a guide!

It‚Äôs a good job that every inch of climbing pays double on those loose, dusty, sun drenched rocky descents ūüėÄ

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‚ÄėJust got back from sierra nevada‚Äô is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.