Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Just got a pressure cooker
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Really enjoying it so far. Potatoes in 5 mins is cool but the reason I got it was for cooking beans and pulses for low GI food. 15 mins is better than 90!

Do people still soak their beans before pressure cooking?

nostoc
    Free Member

Yes. Soak and change water.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You need to pre soak all beans and pulses with the exception of lentils [ and split peas]IME

Using boiling water will reduce the soaking time as will replacing the boiling water every hour

Some pulses need the scuz removing from the water prior to sealing -chick peas for example.

Be very very careful as it is a fine line between cooked and utter mush so I tend to undercook mine a tad to be safe
    i also facto in just leaving it to cool naturally as part of the cooking time
    Tends to work better with harder pulses like say chick peas than with say soft ones like Butter beans
    Trial and error awaits you

glupton1976
    Free Member

Molgrips in overthinking everything shocker. 😀

mildred

Bolognese, stews, beef brisket – all pressure cooker faves in my house. I even cooked a chicken from frozen in one. They’re ace for a busy family.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well hurry up, get using it. Don’t stand around. Make sure you use it properly.Did you clean the veg first? Have you stabbed the spuds with a fork? Don’t put them in until after the meat is done. Don’t put he carrots in too early! Watch you don’t drop the lid. Make sure you don’t leave it too long!

molgrips
    Free Member

Dahl tonight.

nick1c
    Free Member

Check out Heston B’s chilli recipe, lots (most) of it is a ludicrous faff, but how he cooks beans in a pressure cooker really works.

Cougar

You need to pre soak all beans and pulses with the exception of lentils [ and split peas]IME

Particularly important with red kidney beans, they can seriously poison you.

shermer75
    Free Member

I heard on Radio 4 today that they make an excellent stock. Really good at getting all the good stuff out of the bones, apparently

molgrips
    Free Member

I made excellent chicken and yellow lentil soup, from a carcass in about 20 mins!

mogrim

I made excellent chicken and yellow lentil soup, from a carcass in about 20 mins!

Such speed: Truly this is cooking for a sprinter!

molgrips
    Free Member

How do sauces reduce btw? If I cook my chick peas in tinned toms, am I going to need to add water, or reduce with the lid off later?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Surely it can’t reduce, as there is nowhere for the fluid to go?.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Particularly important with red kidney beans, they can seriously poison you.

should be fine as they need to be boiled to break an enzyme down – 5 raw ones eaten will make you ill – not that I have tried
    It breaks down at boiling point and the pressure cooker will be hotter.

How do sauces reduce btw? If I cook my chick peas in tinned toms, am I going to need to add water, or reduce with the lid off later?

it sunder pressure so the liquid tends to not reduce by much

I would assume chick peas need to be cooked in water
    I cook them and then everything else as normal – wont it all just obliterate in the time it takes the chick peas to cook?

molgrips
    Free Member

Steam does escape, through the vent, otherwise pressure would increase to enormous levels. The vent is just controlled by a weight so it only lets out enough steam to keep the pressure at about 12psi in my case. I thought condensation on the lid would replenish the water, but the lid was >100C so I guess that didn’t happen.

I fried up the onions and chili, then dumped in raw chickpeas, two cartons of chopped toms and a bit more water than I’d usually add, it was a bit thick soupy, to avoid the sauce sticking to the pan whilst I boiled it up to pressure.

It worked a treat. It reduced a bit, the dal is on the runny side of acceptable, the chickpeas are much softer, smoother and more mellow tasting than usual, and the sauce is fruity and tomatoey. 20 mins, and the chickpeas had only been soaking for 6-7 hours.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Just got a pressure cooker’ is closed to new replies.