Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Just get out and run?
  • letmetalktomark

I’ve never been a runner.

I used to do a bit of athletics and a lot of rugby in the past but no thing for along time.

Need some advice for getting into it as riding time isn’t what it was!

wwaswas

build up slowly.

as a rider you have aerobic fitness but not the right muscles.

based on experience if you run to your HR/how you feel you’ll do 10k in an hour or so on the first run and then not be able to walk for a fortnight.

start with twice round the local park.

boxelder

Google couch to 5k

I did then ignored it and lost the ability to walk normally for a few days……

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toby1

Runners World training plans, the Couch o 5k pod casts, Parkrun there’s loads of good stuff out there.

Personally I’d go with the advice of just get out there, ideally take someone with you, if you run for a period and you can talk through that period then you are at a good base training pace, if you can’t talk you are running too fast.

Also, stretch lots, plenty immediately after then more that evening/next morning.

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys.

I have tried this in the past but found pacing myself really difficult.

In my head I’m Mo Farah in reality a lot less so!

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

as a rider you have aerobic fitness but not the right muscles.

That’s exactly what I found, I’ve got the basic fitness to enable me to explode my legs. This isn’t that useful.

D0NK

Go out run/jog/walk/wheeze for 45mins*
    Got out and do it again a few days later when you can walk normally.
    repeat.

Probably need a bit more structured if you wanna go beyond 10k** but above worked for me.

*Whenever I did over 45mins I ended up with niggling little pulls/strains, keep it to 45 I always seem to be fine
    **or you’re starting from really bad shape – but you’re a cyclist right?

Don’t bother, running is evil.

I’d rather buy a road bike.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve had lots of periods of running regulalry with lots of long breaks. If I’m starting from scratch I start with a few outings of run 2 mins, walk 1, for 20- 30 mins. Then a few of all running of no more than 20-25 mins. Then I build up from there.
    Caveats: I don’t run every day, and I had a few months of spendy physio on an old calf injury a few years ago and I’m super wary of aggravating it.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you find you hate it, you may be doing it wrong.

jairaj

A work colleague who is good at running and helps coach junior runners in his running club recommended the following to me when I wanted to be able to run 10Km.

Start of by running at a pace that you can just about hold a conversation and run for about 30mins. A small local loop or laps around a local park helps so you’re not left miles away from where you started after 30mins.

Do this for a 2-3 runs then try and add another 10 mins or 1km and repeat until you are running the distance you would like to achieve, in my case 10km.

Once you can run your desired distance without your legs falling off, then no need to limit your self to be able to hold a conversation. Just go for it.

To get faster at running that distance do some intervals, ie run slow for 2 mins then fast 1 min then slow for 2 mins and again repeat till the end of the run. Do this for a couple of runs and then try and increase the interval times.

At the time I started, I had never run any large distance before and was at best a week warrior on the bike. I was slightly active played some football and cycled but was still a bit chubby and below average fitness. Using the above technique I could do a hilly 10Km run in 45mins after a few months.

globalti
    Free Member

Why on Earth would anybody want to run around when God gave us bicycles?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Started running after a few years of my only significant exercise being cycling. Like you I played rugby prior to that for years. I’m an all or nothing sort of character (rightly or wrongly) and thought 5 miles would be a piece of cake, and managed it okay including a fairly decent hill, however as others have said I was then crippled for at least a week. Good god the pain in my calves, I could barely climb the stairs. However you go about it, beware of being a complete tool like me and overdoing it 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

I have tried this in the past but found pacing myself really difficult.

Go much much slower than feels appropriate.

Since making sure my HR doesn’t go above 145 (my max is 190) I’ve been injury free and feel comfortable during and after runs.

Before I had a HR monitor I was always uncomfortable afterwards…first day out with my new monitor at my usual pace and I found that I was running at 85%+ of my max! Way too quick for building up a good running base.

As soon as I slowed everything right down, it’s been a breeze.

davidjey
    Free Member

I find stretching a lot more important since I started running again. Try and make the effort to spend ten mins post-run doing some stretches.

peterfile
    Free Member

^ i find the opposite david. post running stretches were leaving me crippled. I just finish up with a 15 minutes cool down which is basically decreasing pace gradually until I’m walking. My warm up isn’t much different, 5 mins of basaltic stretching and then 10 minutes super slow pace to jogging pace, then I start my run.

D0NK

[quote]Need some advice for getting into it as riding time isn’t what it was![/quote]I can kill my legs running in an hour, I’m just getting warmed up 60mins into a ride.

Running is also good for mid winter when all the trails are shite and you’re sick of cleaning your bike and having to hose yourself down and strip off outside before being allowed back in the house.
    (I’m happy to say that thanks to a decent summer I haven’t run since our holidays in may 🙂 )

badnewz
    Free Member

I dislike running for the most part, but try to run once a week…best advice I’ve had is to try to enjoy each and every single stride.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I started running a week ago after not really running for 10+ years. Basically, its easy, cheap and non-time consuming exercise which is great heading into the autumn. I didn’t read any kind of training plan but wish I had now. Did just shy of 2 miles on my first run and the last two have been about 4 miles (done 5 runs in a week). Backs of my lower legs are absolutely killing me since the last run on Saturday though so I’ll be starting from scratch and going with one of the plans above.

Weirdly though, I’m enjoying it. Was toying with the idea of a CX or road bike for winter but sod that, £50 pair of new trainers is a load cheaper and less hassle.

TomB

It feels all wrong first time out, and hurts for a couple of days after. Persist, and it gets easier and more fun, and will soon feel a bit like riding, where you can go for an hour or more and not think about suffering/pain etc, and just enjoy the fresh air, views etc.

The first few can be eased into by not being too ambitious, avoiding downhills and keeping to a low intensity (lower than you think). Don’t run when injured or nursing a niggle, go back to the bike.

I was never a runner, but really enjoying running in the fells now and have half a mind for a Bob Graham attempt in the next couple of years.

carlos
    Free Member

Join a running group/club. Mrs Carlos did this when she wanted to start running/jogging and its helped no end. She was a little daunted joining The Macc Harriers, but the group is split into several groups that all run at different paces and have set times and days for each groups run, its very well organised, no one gets dropped, if your fitter than some then they loop back (you get extra miles and the last person never gets forgotten, your encouraged to move up a group when your pace increases but not pushed (it’s your choice) and its a regular thing.

AFAIK the Harriers are all over the county so might be worth looking into for a local group.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d second the comment about avoiding hills for a bit. I threw a steep drop into the valley and a pretty intensive climb out into Saturday nights run and I think its that (especially the steep drop) which killed me.

D0NK

have half a mind for a Bob Graham attempt

just googled it….**** me, couldn’t ride that in 24hours 48hours.

surfer
    Free Member

What Jairaj says. Also what Peterfile says! A warmup and warmdown is always a good idea. Dont worry about stretching.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had to buy mine.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I run but don’t really like it much – just do it to keep some cardio fitness. I have a 5 mile and a 7 mile pavement/canal path loop I do every now and again.

I find if I am unfit then it is useful to basically land on my heels and roll across the foot to keep the level of shock from the pavement down. As I get fitter, or especially if I am already fit from cycling, I am more bouncy and can run on my forefoot more.

It is better to walk to warm up than to run slowly if you are heavy on your feet as the shock will cause some damage – shin splints, etc.

Consider interval running if pushed for time – 100 paces of jogging, then 50 paces of ‘sprint’, then gasp, recover, and repeat. Hurts a bit more but is more ‘enjoyable’ once you have done it for a while and it is excellent for fitness, whereas jogging/running is easy to turn into ‘junk miles’ if you are not careful.

If you have riding terrain near you also consider a cross bike instead as an hours blast round the local woods/byways/bridleways is a lot more enjoyable than an hours run. I find riding and the pain associated with pushing hard much more enjoyable than the pain associated with running…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Dont worry about stretching.

a little stretch beforehand maybe – I always kneel on my haunches for a minute first, and nowadays also have have to stand on a step and drop my heels to stretch, otherwise I get a niggly pain in one of my knees when I run – if I do that stretch I don’t get it.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Started running again this summer, having not done any running for about, ooooh, 20 years.

Started off with small distances at a slow pace, and then just built upwards.

If you can only do a mile or even half a mile, then fine, do that. Have a day or two off until you feel ready to go again, then do that distance again until you feel comfortable, then add a bit more. This hurts, but you know you have to do this to get fitter and go further and faster. Repeat until you get to the time / distance you want to achieve.

Think my trainers cost me £35, and I got some running kit from TK Maxx. Recovery drink for days when I push myself, to stop my legs from feeling hollow the next day, and that’s it. Remember to keep stretching after you get back from a run through, or you will seize up the next day.

Currently up to 8K, and aiming for a sub 1 hour 10K at the end of September *cough cough* if anyone wants to donate some loose change for a very good cause, that would be awesome.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I used to hate running. Got into it a few years ago for practical reasons (especially in order to exercise when travelling, couldn’t bring a bike). +1 to all the advice saying build it up slowly. I was doing about 15-20 mins at first (with a strong aerobic base, could cycle for hours). Now I’m regularly running 2h and more, with a marathon coming up next month. I really enjoy it now.

One extra bit of advice, I think it has been helpful to keep cadence high even when running slowly. 180 paces per min is a good target. Helps to reduce strain on joints and muscles.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I don’t like it, but its good straight from the door exercise, I`m still at the wheeze, run, walk, run, walk stage though
    Reading all the above makes me happier about sticking with it until it gets easier too 😳

Weasel
    Free Member

I took up running about 18 months ago, started with Parkrun then joined a local running club and gone on from there. It’s taken over my cycling but feel so much fitter for it and seen my times drop a lot – 5k PB of 19.32 versus 24 minutes when I started.

Just make sure you have suitable running shoes, and not those suggested by the Saturday boy in Sports Direct. Also get a foam roller to work on your IT band post run.

Jamie
    Free Member

Weirdly though, I’m enjoying it. Was toying with the idea of a CX or road bike for winter but sod that, £50 pair of new trainers is a load cheaper and less hassle.

This.

Go out on a filthy day in all sorts of mud. Get home, rinse trainers, chuck shorts/top in washing machine. Bosh. Done.

Also, you get your full kit for less than a dropper post.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Is there a Parkrun 5k near you? If there is, go along there on a Saturday morning, give it a go and see how you get on.

If my 7yr old son can do it so can you:

And if my son who turned 6 last month can do it then you’ve got no excuse.

dobo
    Free Member

Love running, really get a buzz from it when im in the zone, just takes a while before you find your first zone 🙂 keep at it, dont do too much too soon, 2-3 times a week a good start. Also try to run off road to avoid the impact of conrete and keep cadence high and not overstride.
    I used to get really issues with my calfs but plenty of off road hills has sorted that out along with warm ups and stretching – tough mudder and a whole load of off road trail and obstacle events lined up over winter cant wait. Sign up for an event and work towards it, its a great motivator to run and get fit. I’ll also enter some CX races over winter on 1 cycle, its the only other activity that hurts as much as running 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

I can kill my legs running in an hour, I’m just getting warmed up 60mins into a ride.

Ride harder, A 1 hour turbo session leaves me unable to do anything other than fall off the bike. CX races are the same as are hill intervals.

lukedwr
    Free Member

Run where you enjoy being. For me that’s around the woods at QECP. I find having to concentrate on where I’m stepping stops me thinking about tiredness. Plus the wildlife. And the bikers presuming the trails are meant for them 🙂

I also wear minimal/barefoot trainers. I found they gave me a better posture/style which meant all the niggles/aches went away, but it’s not for everyone

turboferret

Just went for my first run since Escape from Alcatraz at the start of June. It wasn’t fun 😮 Supposed to be running a half marathon on Sunday 😀

Cheers, Rich

D0NK

A 1 hour turbo session leaves me unable to do anything other than fall off the bike.

I think turbo training probably needs a mental process/gear I don’t have (can’t stand running machines either)

CX races are the same as are hill intervals

CX races don’t have traffic lights, traffic, gates, styles, walkers etc etc there’s lots of stuff that gets in the way of you redlining for 60 straight minutes on a bike. Much easier/practical on foot. hill intervals are good (in a masochistic way), nearest good hill is 20min ride away so I’ve just added 40mins to my 60min hill training ride. YMMV, some lucky sods will have a gert big hill, with a nice trail/quiet road up it, right outside their back door, but I’m guessing most people on a tight timetable will find it easier to get out for a run than a ride. Plus any ride seems to involve a certain amount of faff to get out of the bloody door, 10mins for road, >15 for mtb, I have no idea why, it’s more like 2 minutes for a run.

but like I said just I’m arguing semantics, winter and on holiday (both have have a bunch of other reasons besides time) are about the only time I run normally.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Recently tried getting into running. Pushed it a bit too quickly and am now stuck in a hinged knee brace. Find a good training program and stick to it. It takes time for everything to adjust if you’ve not run for years.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I trail run, can’t stand the road stuff.

Took it up a couple of years ago when the weather seemed determined to keep pissing down and I got fed up with cleaning the bike(s).

Tried running in a local woods which I found great fun and at a low pace and technical which suited me. Took it easy for the first few weeks and like most found aches where I thought I’d be fine. I did have a heal problem where sharp pains were shooting up from the heal into my leg but that went away about 2 weeks later. Also I had pains from my knees, this was really annoying and kept me from running for another couple of weeks.
    Anyway after the initial niggles I kinda grew into it. Use it now for a blast whilst in Town around Greenwich Park after work if I can’t be bothered to get the bike out.

I kinda like it, done sections of the SDW, Hangers Way and generally use footpaths in loops.

I use Salomons SX3’s which are quite high in the heal, not to everyones taste TBH but they fit me and are great for grip. Gone through 3 pairs now as the tread wears quite quickly. I’m also using some Brooks X for harder pack trails.

HTH

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Just get out and run?’ is closed to new replies.