Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Just found out I'm going to be made redundant
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Not for a couple of months (currently looking at end of February…) but still. Feeling a little bit lost at the moment.

Job hunting hat is well and truly on.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Merry bloody Christmas 🙄

FuzzyWuzzy

Good luck, hopefully you’ll end up with better job and a wad of redundancy cash to blow on a bike at the end of it, crap time of year for it though 🙁 Still waiting to find out if I’m on the ‘at risk’ list where I work myself

darbeze
    Free Member

Same here… One of our team of 5 has to go. I am now officially “At Risk” and have to justify why I should stay and a team mate should go…

We are a close team that has worked together for years so it is not an easy task…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that fella – what’s yer skills set and location?

If you happen to be a finite element analyst in the Bristol area, pref with a PhD and experience of Abaqus, I have a job waiting!! (well, at least an interview – really struggling to find someone….)

theredchili
    Free Member

Join the club, been advised by my boss to start looking ( to protect myself) , really bad time of year

footflaps

We’ve just been through this, 10% left a couple of weeks back. Not exactly a cheery atmosphere at work!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

good luck OP hope things work out.

Same here… One of our team of 5 has to go. I am now officially “At Risk” and have to justify why I should stay and a team mate should go…

We are a close team that has worked together for years so it is not an easy task…

don’t know what to say!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m out mid January, unless my boss bottles it again (he’s said the same twice already re. October and November)

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s a weird feeling… I’ve been wanting to move on for a while, just would have liked to be able to do it at my own leisure, as it were.

Sadly I’m not even sure what a finite element analyst is, and I get a bit light headed if I go as far South as Brizzle 😉

kimbers

yup im out on my arse on 31 Dec!

still no job

redundancy should tide me over for a month or 2 before i get something else but really would rather put the money into the mortgage offset account.

job applications are a pita but just keep on grinding away, youll get something better in the end.

footflaps

finite element analyst

pretty dull (IMO), I’ve written FE models and that was bad enough….

Lot of money in it (oil industry), looking at well heads etc….

jamesmio
    Free Member

The arseholes that I spent 4+ years building up an online empire for made me redundant the day I came back from a week’s holiday, a couple of months after I’d taken out my first mortgage.

It’s a horrible feeling, but if you keep your ear to the ground and an open mind about what you want to do, you’ll be Ok.

Contrary to what the Daily Mail will tell you, there IS plenty of work out there – just not always the nice jobs you’d ideally want that’s all.

Alternatively, if you ever had any notions about going self-employed, this is your chance.

Good luck.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Seriously crappy start to the holiday season for you, sorry to hear that.

tracknicko
    Free Member

pretty dull (IMO), I’ve written FE models and that was bad enough….

Lot of money in it (oil industry), looking at well heads etc….

this.

TONNES of money in FE, also TONNES of jobs.

i know it’s scary to be turfed out, but people could do so much better for themselves if they bothered, sometimes being hoiked out is the impetus they need.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

RE: footflaps – Yep, agreed, some of it can be dull – though most of it is genuinely interesting as we are not aligned with any particular industry.

Currently modelling a chocolate bar, some big oilfield structures, various bits of military hardware, and three patents have just been approved and licensed with a multi-national so the company should be secure for a few years 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

Stop talking about things I don’t understand, this is my thread for feeling sorry for myself 😉

Self employment is definitely one avenue I shall be looking into.

freeagent
    Free Member

FEA stuff is normally pretty interesting – and well paid if you get the right gig!
    as it should be as you need to be a proper grown-up Engineer to do it at top level…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Unlucky, but look at it this way, if you get yourself sorted to walk straight into a job, it’s purely cash in the bank, so don’t be too down about it. Last time it happened to me, I paid off my debt, bought a bike and walked into another job. was bloody great in all honesty, could do with it again if the truth be told(though. that’s a bit careful what ye wish for with the state of this place!)!

Job hunting hat is the right idea, good luck.

alfabus
    Free Member

@flyingmonkeycorps – what DO you do then?

mashiehood
    Free Member

Its horrible being made redundant. I lost my dream job in 2008. This was the time when everyone was running for the hills as most of my friends were either made redundant or were at risk. Horrible time. Luckily all of us found jobs elsewhere and I now have a job which I really can call my dream job.

My advice would be to keep an open mind, manage your cashflow really carefully and don’t be too proud to take a step back if it means you keep employed.

All the best with your job hunting.

toby1

I know people say it is a crappy time of year for it – but you if you do work out a new job, you just get an extra long Christmas holiday out of it (that was how it worked out for my wife once anyway).

It’s only a crap time of year for it if you don’t like riding in the cold 😉

Good luck mate – sure I’ll be joining you at some point in the next year or 2!

project
    Free Member

Contrary to what the Daily Mail will tell you, there IS plenty of work out there – just not always the nice jobs you’d ideally want that’s all.

Alternatively, if you ever had any notions about going self-employed, this is your chance.

Possibly that has got to be the stupidest comment of the month or year,just perhaps where are all these proper jobs, paying a reasonable amount of pay for an intresting worthwhile job, and where are all the jobs for those without a degree or uni education, not that sems to help as a lot are working in the hospitality industry or the local supermarket.

Not all of us either wanted or where able to get a uni education, and very few would ever get the chance of getting a tradesmans job now.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m a photographer. I also do some design / layout stuff in my current role, but to be honest I’m not very good at it and I don’t really like it. Trouble is I hate weddings, which makes it awkward to make money out of photography 😉

spesh
    Free Member

I was discussing this with the wife the other day. She said how bad it was when people are made redundant just before Christmas.

I said it’s better than getting the news just after Christmas when you’ve spent a load of money you otherwise wouldn’t have ?!

Anyway, good luck with the job hunting. I’m sure something will turn up and like others have said, if it’s sooner rather than later you’ll be quids in !!

xiphon
    Free Member

If anybody being made jobless is an Electrical Engineer (Control Systems Engineer), shoot me an email – our company is recruiting…

Other than that, good luck finding a new one 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s not all doom and gloom out there.
    There are jobs about (and not just for graduates).

southbeds
    Free Member

get something in construction.retrain if you have to,its goimg to go bonkers .with this cold snap my youngest son as just slung is tools in the shed and is off to SE Asia till the spring,

Moses

Join the club. I’ve been looking for about 3 months – but as a technically competent software / services salesman I seem to fall between two stools. I should have stayed on the tech side. Oh well, the mortgage is nearly paid off now.

tracknicko
    Free Member

FEA stuff is normally pretty interesting

ummm

xiphon
    Free Member

Question for those with mortgages – what happens when you’re made redundant?

Do you have some sort of insurance for it?

What happens if you’re “fired” (dismissed) as opposed to made redundant?

flatfish
    Free Member

Wife’s just called me to say she’s been given the mallet this afternoon.

Happy Christmas. 🙄

brakes
    Free Member

UK companies get rid just before Christmas before you’ve spent your money on presents, US companies do it after when you’re skint.

tracknicko
    Free Member

UK companies get rid just before Christmas before you’ve spent your money on presents, US companies do it after when you’re skint.

no idea what that means, but i suspect they do it pre crim so that you ‘work’ out your notice holidays while the office would be shut anyway – over the christmas period.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m actually quite glad I found out now, I was on the edge of signing up to Cyclescheme. Guess my old battered commuter’ll have to last a bit longer…

piemonster

This must be awful.

Couple of years back before moving North of the border the company I was working for had a big drop in work. Just for good measure the client merged with a competitor meaning much of the work shifted to a new site. Place went from about 300 to 50 employees in the end. I just left, savings and no debts or kids help. Brutal for everyone else though.

brakes
    Free Member

no idea what that means

it means that UK companies are a bit nicer than US ones. they give you notice too, and redundancy.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Here’s a positive for you. (Haven’t read the whole thread sorry)

I posted on here 6 weeks ago saying I was going to be made redundant and took quick severation 4 weeks ago. I’ve accepted a new job, what looks to be right what I was after, and have just been out for drinks with them before my contract has even arrived (I left earliesh before I did something stupid) . During my time off I hunted for jobs like hell and worked hard on my networks, spent some lovely mornings in cafe Nero job hunting, surrounded myself with positive friends and had a walking and drinking holiday in Spain with a CIO. It’s been a fabulous time off which I’ll miss – you will be absolutely fine!

imnotamused
    Free Member

Ooh, and not forgetting I have some cash to pay off the mortgage with too. Redundancy can be pretty good you know, it’s just getting your head around it. If you have any outplacement services (cv, career adivice) offered then TAKE THEM, they were the best thing that ever happened to me.

Del

also recently laid off. 7 out of 9 of us. TBH i feel sorry for the two left behind. they’ve got the REAL sh1t to deal with while i walk the dog, ride, and build trails. the pay-off is ok, fortunately i had a shed-load of accrued holiday, and i hope to shift in to the public sector. if i can do that in a reasonable time-frame it’ll be a lump off the mortgage, reduced payments to accommodate a reduced wage, and hopefully a more enjoyable job. fingers crossed.
    good luck OP.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Just found out I'm going to be made redundant’ is closed to new replies.