Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • just fitting my new Mavic Aksiums – numpty question
  • ross980
    Free Member

As above. I’m sure they’re 8, 9 and 10 speed compatible (I’ve got 9 speed Tiagra). Front wheel is on, just doing back. There’s a spacer thing in the box, should it be fitted? Or is it just for 8 speeds? Also, there’s a horrible big plastic disc behind the freehub, I guess this is supposed to be removed? (and if I do, do I need the spacer?)

Cheers

STATO
    Free Member

the spacer is for 10speed. Not sure what you mean by plastic disc, unless its what comes on bikes to protect the spokes? if so its your call but i dont know how it would affect the cassette fitting without a pic.

ross980
    Free Member

Cheers. Are 10 speed cassettes narrower then? Didn’t know that. Yeah, the disc is one of those spoke protector things. I understand its purpose but it’s fugly and looks about twice as big as it needs to be

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 stato

ross980
    Free Member

Hmmm. Ok, now I’m confused. The spoke protector disc thing clips to hub and doesn’t affect the cassette/freehub. When I’ve gone to tighten up the lockring on the cassette it’s as if the cassette is a mm too short (or the freehub body is too long). The lockring doesn’t ‘ratchet’ when tightened and the cassette Is slightly loose and has a slight wobble… any ideas? All the cassette spacers etc. are the right way round.

Coleman
    Free Member

I think you’ll find you need to fit the supplied spacer even for 9 speed Shimano. For 10 speed you need the Mavic spacer plus a thinner one that comes with the cassette

STATO
    Free Member

Coleman is probably right on the spacer then, didnt know the 10 speed cassettes came with a spacer.

STATO
    Free Member

tho i cant think why mavic would make a hub that required a spacer, rather than making it part of the freehub. They are french tho 😉

ross980
    Free Member

You’re right Coleman, just tried it before reading your post. Where were you 15 min ago when I needed you?! 😉 Working fine now.

Cheers

Leigh
    Free Member

coleman is right you need the mavic spacer and the shimano spacer on 10spd and just the mavic one on 9.
    if you use a mavic m10 cassette which you can change the spacers on you can make the one cassette run shimano or campag spacing i belive with no spacers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘just fitting my new Mavic Aksiums – numpty question’ is closed to new replies.