Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Just enjoyed cleaning my bike
  • slowoldman

For the first time in my life, instead of using a combination of Fairy Liquid and white spirit, I used a proper bike cleaner and chain degreaser, along with one of those chain keeper gadgets.

How easy was that? I can’t believe how the muck fell off, particularly impressed with how clean the chainrings came up. I’m going to do another one tomorrow.

TiRed

Wait till you use bike-specific brushes. It just gets better.

ogden
    Free Member

Peaty’s foaming degreaser impressed me recently, I thought it was all marketing BS but actually works really well.

slowoldman

I’m looking! Also repairing the outdoor tap so I can use the hosepipe. It could become a new obsession.

chakaping
    Free Member

I find the ones I have a bit rubbish. Which do you use?

TiRed

Evans cone shaped brush is a Godsend. Soft bristles and a point to get in the gaps. It’s a little bendy, but it is very good. Muc Off have the same. For transmission, I tend to go with old washing up brushes, but the frame brush gets into the gaps so well.

https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-tapered-frame-cleaning-brush-EV183189

julians
    Free Member

Pffft, itll just get dirty again

sirromj

I just wait until they get like this and then wirebrush it chain2
    chain1
    then putaline dip.

brownsauce
    Free Member

instead of using a combination of Fairy Liquid and white spirit,

which are both appalling for painted finishes lol.

white spirit will dry out clear coats and washing up liquids often contain abrasive sodium salts.

at least youre now on the right path 🙂

northernsoul

Me too – I got a chain cleaner for Christmas and bought 5 litres of Fenwicks bike cleaner (it was on offer – £32 with a discount code from Tredz). It has been a revelation after using old toothbrushes for years.

timbog160

@sirromj that chain looks like it should be on a trawler!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I wouldn’t get white spirit near my paintwork but don’t give us that old pish about Fairy Liquid harming it.

slowoldman

No I didn’t allow white spirit near the paintwork – it was as a degreaser.

Loughan
    Free Member

don’t give us that old pish about Fairy Liquid harming it.

As a reformed Fairy offender I would say that it’s not going to burn a hole in the paint but it definitely dulls it. I’m using up some old turtle wax at the moment

dove1

Give Fenwick’s foaming chain cleaner a go. It’s amazing how clean it gets your chain if you use it with the slotted scourer.

tenburner

I just got 10 bottles of WD-40 Bike wash from Euro Car Parts for £11, i used to always use fiary liquid and a bit of petrol on the drivetrain but recently got a bottle of Muc Off. It is very satisfying and much less effort, hopefully the wd-40 stuff is decent.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Putoline on the drivechain so that never get’s specifically washed as the only thing on it is a nice protective coating of wax/graphite.

Rinse with hose,
    Muck off or similar spray,
    agitate with an old dustpan brush,
    rinse with hose,
    wipe down the ‘oily’ bits of the frame with muck off on a soft cloth,
    glug of budget car shampoo into a bucket with cold water and give it all a quick wash to remove any residue
    hose off again.
    Spray some GT85/TF2/ACF50 on the mechs to displace any water (and usually something a bit more lubricating before the next ride).

Got the whole process down to <10 minutes.

Although TBH the only bike I ever actually wash is the cross bike!

All the bike cleaning kit lives on a shelf next to the outside tap and hosepipe in the passage down the side of the house, that way I have to walk past it rather than make a mess. Downside is the mid accumulates, when we get the path done I might ask for a trench/grate/drain thing to hose it into.

slowoldman

Right I’m off out to clean another.

stormtrooper
    Free Member

@tenburner “fiary liquid and a bit of petrol” sounds risky 😉

reluctantjumper

I enjoy the cleaning almost as much as the riding 😎 Second is the maintenance, a good few hours with the spanners and ending up with a better bike is always good.

A little tip for anyone using the Fenwick’s dilutable stuff: buy a bottle of the new Mucoff that creates a foam (has a square nozzle). Use that up as it’s rather good but expensive. Then refill the bottle with the Fenwick’s and it foams that up too, makes it last longer and work a little bit better.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

You also need to build a bike wash station with shoe bidet

Seth’s Bike Hacks

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do any of these cleaners work by adding them to s bucket if warm water or are they all spray on jobs?

Can’t beat getting in there with a lathery sponge.

coynie09
    Free Member

For brushes look at wilko & B & M cheaper & just as good………

molgrips
    Free Member

Do any of these cleaners work by adding them to s bucket if warm water or are they all spray on jobs?

They are spray on, but I’ve found it’s way more economical to spray 5 or so squirts on the sponge, squelch it in and rub the bike. Works well and the stuff lasts far longer.

slowoldman

Spray on, leave for a bit then bucket of soapy water (or hose off followed by soapy water). Much easier than just the soapy water.

survivor

Putoline on the drivechain so that never get’s specifically washed as the only thing on it is a nice protective coating of wax/graphite.

I can’t believe that stays on a chain after the first proper wet and muddy ride though. It’ll get rubbed straight off?

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t start them off again.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t start them off again.

🤣🤣

OP – get a hot water outside tap, it’s even better!.

tjagain

it does survivor. You actually get the opposite issue – get it where you don’t want it and it stays there as well

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Just enjoyed cleaning my bike’ is closed to new replies.