Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Just emptied my bladder and it smelt funny
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My 2 litre Camelback has been in the garage gathering dust for the last year.

It appears that dust wasn’t the only thing it was gathering as I had left it half full. What I poured away looked bad enough to make me decide to throw the whole bladder away so I need a new one.

I assume I just need one about the right shape as the old one looks narrower and longer than the Camelbak Antidote 2l which was this first that appeared on Google.

Any reason not to go for a Camelbak one?

Which are good or are they all much the same?

avdave2

I like the Source Widepack ones with the full opening which is closed with a slider. No taste from it and easy to clean and dry.

LoCo
    Free Member

All much of a muchness really, although bite valves will vary, think I bought a few Osprey ones last time, had a nice full opening top so you could get your hand in to clean the bladder out.
    See what your local bike & camping shops have in stock

bikebouy
    Free Member

Gross 😯

chrisrobs
    Free Member

Keep them in the fridge or freezer to stop the bacteria build up.

benp1

@chrisrobs – true, but means you needs to be happy wasting space in the freezer/fridge

Just dry it properly, mould won’t grow in it if it’s dry

40mpg

Are you sure it hasn’t just fermented? Could save a trip to the offy 😯

ironnigel
    Free Member

I thought it might be to do with eating asparagus.

Milton fluid or sterilising solution from your local brew shop (a much cheaper option than Milton) keeps bladders clean.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

@benp1 I doubt it’s going to take up much space is it?

andyl
    Free Member

Run some milton through it and leave it for a few hours.

I might be by myself here but does anyone else actually quite like the slight milton taste you get immediately following a rushed pre-ride flush with milton? 😳

Never been organised enough after a ride to put mine in the freezer, if I was I would be organised enough to remove it from my sweaty camelbak and wash it out, which I don’t.

downshep

Kept mine in the freezer for years. No mould or gunk ever. Water’s a bit crunchy tho’

benp1

@chrisrob – depends on how big your freezer is!

Mine isn’t huge, and with a family of 4 it’s a complete waste of space

Far easier to clean it, dry it, and then put it away.

(I do leave a fold up platypus bottle in there, but it folds much smaller than a camelbak, I find the camelbak quite big once the hose is on)

Might not be a problem if you have a big freezer!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I think leaving it unused in the freezer for 12 months might have irritated the wife plus it is 12 years old so I think on balance I will treat myself to a new one.

Cheapo job from Go Outdoors with a bite valve from Camelbak I am currently thinking

mattbee

Ive got an unused cheap one you can have if you want. Will bring tomorrow.

mattbee

Belay that. Wife has already given it away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Just emptied my bladder and it smelt funny’ is closed to new replies.