Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Just drove over my iPhone (help)
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just drove over my iPhone, screen is smashed to bits, don’t have insurance. Anyone done similar or had to pay for an iphone repair, what sort of money am I looking?

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

You might not appreciate this but the best advice I can offer you is to replace it with something better 😀

Also, if you drove over it it’s probably more than just the screen that’s broken.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gosh, an iPhone! Wow, that’s so cool. Thanks for nmaking that distinction. So much more than just “I drove over my phone”

sslowpace
    Free Member

Claim on your home contents. After all, it was on the drive/road outside the house, wasn’t it?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Best thing you could have done to it.

Now MTFU and get a proper phone!

Nick

it’s a good job they are reasonably priced, probably cheaper to pick up a replacement than get it fixed

midlifecrashes

Don’t you have an app for that?

longweight
    Free Member

😀

scaredypants

Don’t you have an app for that? 😀

indeed !

mieszko
    Free Member

I was wondering if You get the insurance on Monday (mine’s free with my bank account) register Your phone etc (only IMEI number) and than make a claim once the cover starts. Just get a cheap replacement until You get a new one or get it repaired. Might work…

It’s only theory and might work. I left my phone on the bus once, got a replacement but it did cost me £20-25 for making the claim, £15 for a new SIM card and I lost all the numbers,pics, etc. Plus chased the bus for about 4 bus stops and when finally got on it to find someone already took the phone off the seat.

CountZero

*sigh* I thought this would drag the usual sneering anti-iPhone comments out of the woodwork. FWIW, if I had done the same to my old N95, or to a CrackBerry, or a Pre, I would have specified what phone it was as that could make a difference, compared to some cheap generic phone. And the comments regarding price are irrelevent, as all smartphones are expensive: anyone looked at the SIM-free price of an N95? When I got mine it was listed at £530. In the States, a Palm Pre is $850, which makes an iPhone look reasonable. The iPhone is a computer with a built-in phone, not just a phone.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

[Quote]
    CaptainFlashheart – Member

Gosh, an iPhone! Wow, that’s so cool. Thanks for nmaking that distinction. So much more than just “I drove over my phone”

[/Quote]

Oooooh, Get you! Would you like a pink handbag with that?! 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

If the phone had been in a pink handbag, he probably wouldn’t have driven over it.

Flaperon

mieszko

Just a quick caution that to follow the above suggestion would, technically, be fraud.

loddrik
    Free Member

Captainflasheart

In the same way as if I would have had, say, an N96, the post would have read ‘I have just driven over my N96’. I am after the opinions of people who own the same phone. No much point saying ‘I have just driven over my phone’ because all phones are different and people who have only ever owned Nokias are not going to be able to tell me their experiences with Apple customer service area they….

Much as I don’t really like the whole Apple brand thing, for what I need it for, nothing comes anywhere near it, so I am either going to have to get it repaired (hence the thread) or get a new one (ouch£££)

In my opinion, the iPhone is superb at what it does, hence why most of the office now have them, and the wifes freinds, and…etc etc etc.

People can sneer as much as they like, it is just a bit sad really.

scaredypants

CountZero – Member

*sigh* I thought this would drag the usual sneering anti-iPhone comments out of the woodwork

to be fair, though, midlifecrashes’ was LOLlable …. though I agree, it WAS worth saying what phone it was since he’s after a screen repair

mieszko
    Free Member

Just a quick caution that to follow the above suggestion would, technically, be fraud.

I’m aware of that. Never tried that myself and don’t know whether there might be some sort of small print on the agreement to prevent such actions. Only thing I know is that You can claim a replacement when lost/stolen 2x a year, but repairs are unlimited sooo maybe sending it for repair might be an option.

If You drove over it there might be a chance that it’s the screen only, but even screen only will be very expensive to replace.

Next time get a phone like this Nokia 6250. My uncle used to have one, You could smash empty cans, and even use it as a small hammer and still make a phone call after. Doesn’t go well with a pink purse though 😉

scraprider
    Free Member

saucer of milk for all the iphone haters please . i feel your pain dude, nokia pah load of shit , software never works for it.contents ins claim i fear mate.

WTF
    Free Member

scraprider
    Free Member

oh shit man , all its colour has run out the screen 😥 lol btw at WTF

Inbred456
    Free Member

Anybody got one of these,
    http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/nokia-5140i.htm
    I’ve had one for about 6yrs, the thing just refuses to die. One replacement battery in all that time. Mans phone for MTBing. Built in compass, fitness coach, splash resistant. I drop mine at least once a day just to check it is still indestructible. If and when it does go I shall mourn its passing like an old friend and go out and buy the exact same phone.

Kuco

Yes inbred i’ve had two of those and both died. To be honest imo Nokia make phones out of the same material Sram make X9 mechs out of.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I was wondering if You get the insurance on Monday (mine’s free with my bank account) register Your phone etc (only IMEI number) and than make a claim once the cover starts.

except the phone company knows when and where the phone was last used.

:FAIL:

Pigface
    Free Member

Why is everyone so down on I phones? I dont have one and dont aspire to one but suprised at some of the responces.

johnners
    Free Member

I was wondering if You get the insurance on Monday (mine’s free with my bank account) register Your phone etc (only IMEI number) and than make a claim once the cover starts.

except the phone company knows when and where the phone was last used.

And it’s fraud.

z1ppy

Ignoring the fraud angle, why would knowing when the phone was last used stop you taking out insurance on it? (and committing fraud)

z1ppy

a small pisstake:

Captain-up-my-own – Member
    So much hatred, so much bile, so much anger.

FFS, people, it’s only a phone! Lose the pathetic tribalism and look at it’s uses instead.

Now, it’s not a phone to my taste, but I’d far rather see people support it as a tool, rather than use it as a vent for what is often vile bigoted behaviour

Remember, it’s just a phone

Kahurangi

z1ppy – they;d probably argue that they had “reasonable grounds of suspicion” of wrongdoing or some such get-out clause.

Pigface – as regular people get fed up of iPhone owners mouthing off about “I’m sending a message on my iPhone” or “I’ll check that on my iPhone”. It does start to grate when iPhone fan boys make a real point of name-dropping their expensive iPhone at ever opportunity. iPhone. Everyone else gets on with their Non Apple Branded Communications Device.

z1ppy

ok, sound fair enough if use 02 as your insurer, but what about using a 3rd party insurer?
    Would they have the ability to access that information?

…not that I’ve advocating fraud in anyway

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂 @ z1ppy!

My point is rather as Jon mentioned above.

Do people say “I’m going for a ride on my Turner 5 Spot” or do they say, “I’m going fora ride on my bike”

Why the need to constantly name check it?

geoffj

Why is everyone so down on I phones? I dont have one and dont aspire to one but suprised at some of the responces.

Its called inverted snobbery and the STW masses do it better than most.

downgrade
    Free Member

I’m intrigued as to how the phone ended up in the path of a vehicle, and was then driven over. Any more details?

DrJ

Do people say “I’m going for a ride on my Turner 5 Spot” or do they say, “I’m going fora ride on my bike”

Why the need to constantly name check it?

Because – as has already been pointed out – he was asking for specific information about the iPhone, viz, the cost to repair the screen. Same as asking how to bleed brakes – you would ask how to bleed Hopes, not just brakes in general.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Oh here we are. Another Apple product owner, shamelessly name dropping his expensive product and using the relatively minor occurrence of a broken screen to do so.

You would never catch me using such a product, and even if I did, shamelessly stooping so low as to name drop it.

Sent from my iPhone

Kahurangi

which is why the reverse snobbery is a bit off-the-mark in this thread.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Oh, and in reference to the op, a lad who works for me had his phone for around a month and managed to crack the screen in a number of places and cracked the back in one place. He did this by laying it face down on his front doorstep before having sex with his girlfriend on top of it (I am not sure if this was intentional or not). He complained to Apple about the crack in the back and claimed that the plastic had failed. Apple replaced the phone and said that the screen (which was pretty much shattered across the bottom third) was just normal wear and tear.

I’m not sure if this would work after driving over the thing or not.

DaddyPig
    Free Member

I didn’t know banks offer phone insurance. Do barclays offer this

mossimus
    Free Member

My OH managed to break hers, cost £60 to replace the screen. If you have also broken the digitiser it will cost £120

will
    Free Member

Cracked the screen in my Nokia 5800. That cost £70 to get fixed.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Because its never “I need to make a call” its always, “I need to use my iPhone”.

Do these people also say “I need to use my Armitage Shanks” rather than “I need a sh!t” too?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Just drove over my iPhone (help)’ is closed to new replies.