Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Just driving along…..
  • Coming home from work at 2am on the A6 out of Derby and was confronted with a Peugeot 206 going sideways at about 70mph. Had plenty of time to see it coming, but nowhere to go. 4 lads – driver walked away and miraculously passed a breath test, the other 3 had to be cut out – one pretty serious. I didn’t have a scratch, but thought I was going to be confronted with a dead body when I got out, it was that bad.

2 fire crews, 4 ambulance crews, who knows how many paramedics and police. Photo’s are after everyone had been removed and the car had been unwrapped from the front of my truck. Thankfully think everyone’s going to be ok. Scary stuff, I was waiting for the engine to end up on my lap, but the cabin didn’t deform and the airbags did a great job.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nVCQBi]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nVCPWF]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/od7mC8]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oeTnU8]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

thepurist

Ouch. Hope the passengers make a full recovery, not sure their friendship with the driver will. Big plus for modern car safety.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

that 206 would make a nice raised veg bed now 😯

ciderinsport
    Free Member

😯 Blimey!

anagallis_arvensis

Shit! Glad you’re ok. I drove like a **** when I was young… but for the grace of god and all that shit.

andyl
    Free Member

Navara did well (crumpled in the right places). May have been a different story if you were in an older 4×4, either for you or them.

That’s your work car isnt it? His insurance costs are going to rack up.

does it feel like you’ve been hit by a truck this morning or are you doing okay?

breadcrumb

Jesus! That’s messy!

Glad everyone’s OK.

What would you guess the impact speed was?

Was it in a NSL?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shitthebedcarseat.

At least everyone’s alive anyway. Dumbass kid. (even if his alloys are sarcin)

If it had been head on it might have been a different story – fortunately (for me), the passenger door of the Peugeot absorbed a lot of the impact.

Not a NSL – a 30mph. The little toe rag who was driving is probably getting royally bummed by the Babylon at the moment.

Harry_the_Spider

The little toe rag who was driving is probably getting royally bummed

I think the term is “Rolfed”.

thehustler
    Free Member

Was it in a NSL?

Streetlights on road therefore 30 unless otherise signed, and OP says oncoming at approx 70 (whether this is closing speed or just the pug who knows)

maxtorque

To be fair, if that 206 had hit your truck sideways actually doing 70mph, it is unlikely anyone in it would have survived. Looking at at the relatively limited damage, i’d suggest the impact speed was in the order of 30mph.

Anyway, glad you are ok, and the occupants of the other car are relatively ok. For anyone who says “i don’t care about safety in my car” this just shows what can (and does) happen without much warning!

I’m just guessing at his speed – to lose it on the corner where he did, he must have been going pretty fast. He probably scrubbed a bit as he was going sideways. I was doing 30, but slowed to maybe 10mph.

I’d guess at a 60mph impact

user-removed
    Free Member

Crumbs! Glad you’re alright. Looks horrendous!

Big old drift indeed m0rk

I was by the white building on the left and the pug came round the corner top right.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/od6gXN]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Maxtorque – you think that happened at 30mph? Maybe the pictures don’t show the full damage 😕

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve been T-boned at just under 30. That wasn’t 30.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Brings to mind the ad in that other thread…doesn’t matter what you’re doing, sometimes you just can’t account for someone else being a dickhead and your subsequent involvement in it. Thankfully, no bizzies had that crap job of knocking on a door with the “It’s about your son/husband…we’re very sorry but…”

maxtorque

From the pics, the navara has lost it’s crumple cans, but the chassis rails are intact (consistent with airbag deployment (~30g at the slampanel) but there has been no wheelwell intrusion or cabin deformation. it looks bad because the bonnet and wing has been rucked up.

The 206 looks to have had an intrusion of around 6 inches down the length of the lhs sill/ rear quarter. The “stiff” rear beam and suspension prevent massive intrusion and the impact was fortunately spread across a fair bit of the cabin.

Both of those are fairly consistent with an actual impact speed of around 30mph.

Of course, when you are sat there, “waiting” for the oncoming car to hit you, it feels a LOT faster! But in fact, 30mph (13.4m travelled in a single second) is plenty fast enough when it comes to smashing two objects together than weigh 1.5tonnes each!

(stopping in 0.5m (approx total deformation) from 30mph, is stopping dead in just 75mS, with an average deccel of 18g (peak deccel will be in the order of twice that). That is quite a bang!

maxtorque

andyl
    I’ve been T-boned at just under 30. That wasn’t 30.

How do you know how fast they were travelling when they hit you??

tenfoot

Yikes. Glad you’re ok.

Harry_the_Spider

A lad put one sideways into a lamp post near us on a bend like that. He’d clipped the inside curb and spun out.

This happened whilst kids were coming out of the school just up the road.

Luckily nobody was hurt, but several mothers did have a go at the driver until the rozzers turned up.

stumpy01

Blimey! Glad you are ok!

andyl
    Free Member

How do you know how fast they were travelling when they hit you??

Why do you have to question everything and act as though you know better?

I know from the admission of the other driver and that they hadn’t seen me so didn’t brake. Also from the CCTV footage which proved they were in that ballpark.

Satisfied? Probably not…. 🙄

Maxtorque – you quote figures that indicate you have a reasonable idea of what you are talking about and I’m not going to argue the fact, but the impact was enough to twist the truck along it’s whole length – the rear tailgate now doesn’t shut properly.

I’ve no idea how fast it was in reality and don’t really care, but doubt it was 30mph. At least no-one died!

maxtorque

andyl

Because i’m an engineer! 😉 Physics suggests that despite what people might say, most crashes you walk away from occur are suprisingly low speeds. Having spent 25 years in automotive development, and some of that in the crash lab i can tell you that if you drove a Navara into the side of a 206 doing a true 60mph no one in the Peugeot would have survived. (A 60mph stop in 0.5m is 80g average, that means your truck weighs 160 tonnes!! Even belted and with airbags, pretty much anything over 50g (for a healthy adult) is going to result in lowwer/upper limb injuries for the driver of the truck)

Sorry to sound negative, as i know the “i walked away from a 60mph crash” sounds impressive, but in reality, the actually velocities at the point of impact are much lower. When impact speeds ARE up in the 60mph region, occupants will generally be going direct to the morgue…….. ;-(

maxtorque

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

I’ve no idea how fast it was in reality and don’t really care, but doubt it was 30mph. At least no-one died!

Indeed, the important thing here is that the cars did there job and allowed the occupants to survive the impact!!

maxtorque

31mph (50kph) test:

IIHS side impact testing

I’d suggest that shows an almost identical damage profile to the 206 in this accident. Now 31mph doesn’t sound like much, but watch that video and tell me you’d like to be sat in the car that gets hit……..

bearnecessities

Don’t want to be buzzkill, but may be worth considering when posting, that one of the passengers is still in hospital with a “serious” head injury.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Allestree-cut-free-head-smash/story-21332963-detail/story.html

brooess
    Free Member

If that’s what happens at 30mph then those people who think driving at 30mph is some kind of optional suggestion, might want to take a look at those pics above

chewkw
    Free Member

Agree with maxtorque’s analysis.

If it was 60mph then you probably have at least one dead body in the other car while you might have some leg injuries.

I bet they were going in too fast at the corner as simple as that.

Glad you are fine and yes get a 4×4 … :mrgreen:

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I would have made sure the driver was ok then chinned him for nearly killing me.

DezB
    Free Member

Are you new here? 😉

bradley
    Free Member

A 60mph combined impact speed when talking about side impacts usually results in dead people. There’s a lot more stuff in the way up front as apposed to the door/pillars and only a couple of inches.

Serious head injury – it’s not your fault STR so don’t let this get at you.

Sandwich

Glad you’re ok.
    A bit of T cut will see the Navarra right. The Peugeot is going to need duct tape though.

Serious head injury – it’s not your fault STR so don’t let this get at you.

I’m not at all – would like to know he’s ok mind you.

Scary thing is, my daughter will probably be getting in cars with nobbers like this in a couple of years 🙁

On another note – they haven’t assessed it yet, but the girl I spoke to yesterday reckons with the age and damage I’ve described, it will be a repair job. I won’t be happy if I get that heap back on the road – any guesses from experience?

bearnecessities

With a twisted chassis? I wouldn’t have thought so.

IANAEngineer.

Neither am I – I’m only presuming something is twisted, but the back door doesn’t shut right – although that could just be the tub that’s deformed I suppose???

trail_rat
    Free Member

Woman on end of phone in hasnt a clue shocker.

The woman on the end of the phone when i dealt with insurance really hadnt a clue what was going on.

Ill be surprised if you get that truck back on the road.

Id expect , front of engine damage and possible ancillarys , intercooler , radiator , pipework , axel damage , steering rack damage , cross member damage, wishbones , track rods , wing , bonnet ,airbag modules , bumper , lights etc etc

Like you i wouldnt want that back on the road.

Quick mental tally on what i can see at an educated guess of retail plus labour i dont think you would see change out of 10k just to make it externally cosmetically truck like again. Withoutlooking under the bonnet.

My colleagues 118 near enough got written off for a small dent at the front where he slide into a lampost in ice but deployed all the air bags – enough as the value of sorting the airbag mess.

matt_outandabout

Glad you are ok.

Mrs_oabs sister and aunt had a similar – car sideways round corner and Into them. Thankfully it hit rear door of sliding vehicle, so spinning both of them round and dissipating some of the impact. Sadly mrs_oabs sister still has the physical scars on face, shoulder and chest as they were in a 206, not a big car…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Just driving along…..’ is closed to new replies.