• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by fin25.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Just built myself a new bike, from scratch and everything!
  • fin25
    Free Member

Done most of it today, got the frame and forks as Xmas/birthday gifts from the wife, most of the rest of it was laying around the garage, apart from the brakes, which are new. Bottom bracket threads were awful, but got it in there in the end. Also discovered that Shimano’s “29er specific” triple chainset actually has a 96mm bcd, rendering my 104mm chainring useless 😳
    Need new grips and pedals (both very much from the bottom of the parts bin). Putting Super Motos on it for commuting duties, as this was the main reason for building it.
    I know it’s not rocket science, but it’s the first bike I’ve built all by myself, can’t wait to get out on it.

survivor

Well done you. Quite satisfying isn’t it?

Next comes the week or two of fiddling to get it feeling and running correctly ?

johnj2000
    Free Member

I like it, nice work.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Good job only one problem it’s addictive, if memory serves me right I’m on my 6th build

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Nice work fella!

nickc

cool looking bike! Nice one

rOcKeTdOg

“29er specific chainset”
    Hope you’re going to add a 29er specific saddle too!

Eurobike 2013: Fizik’s Thar – a 29er-specific saddle.

fin25
    Free Member

Fair play to the LBS (Pedal Power in Loughborough). I turned up today covered in mud after taking the scenic route, gave them a list of random bolts, spacers and adaptors, they had the lot, even sorted me out a nice “budget” set of brakes (clarks M2) for a good price. Added up, the whole thing cost me (and the wife) about £250, although only because I already had the wheels, tyres and finishing kit.

Also, I don’t think much to the on-one smoothie headset, got the LBS to install the cups, top one bent with the slightest application of pressure. Again, LBS replaced it without a fuss.

MoreCashThanDash

Well done.

I’m making a bodge of my lads new Inbred build – managed to get the brakes on tonight, but bottled shortening the hoses…..

fin25
    Free Member

I have also run screaming from shortening the hoses, I was hoping that it being a 21″ frame would save me, it hasn’t…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Nice tyre logo / valve alignment detailing attempt but the rear needs rotating anticlockwise by 7 or 8 degrees.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Hoses are proper easy to shorten, usually no rebleeding required.

fin25
    Free Member

It’s OK coolhandluke, the tyres are coming off anyway, I will be sure to line up the logos and valves, just for you. 8)

Glasgowdan, I excel at making proper easy jobs a living nightmare! I will do it though, eventually…

ampthill

What forks are they? I can’t see anything like them listed on the on one website

aa
    Free Member

It is satisfying self building/assembling.
    Pedal Power Loughborough are good people!!

zanelad
    Free Member

I keep scouring ebay and the small ads for a frame to build a road bike from. I keep telling myself that I’d take my time and buy bits as I find them, but I know that I’d probably pop into my LBS and buy everything in one expensive purchase 😈

Perhaps I should limit myself to spending a little each month.

fin25
    Free Member

What forks are they? I can’t see anything like them listed on the on one website

They’re Surly Karate Monkey forks; cheap, strong and will take mudguards without bodgery.

belugabob
    Free Member

My first bike was off the shelf.
    For my second bike I found the nearest spec to what I wanted, then replaced the bits that weren’t what I wanted.
    For my third bike, I bought all of the parts that I wanted, and built it from scratch.

In future, I’d prefer to follow option #3, as it eliminates the feeling of paying for stuff you don’t want, but accept that option #2 is more likely to happen.

Riding something that you’ve built yourself is very satisfying.

jamj1974

Well done OP! Enjoy it!

dogmatix

well done, building is almost as good as riding… (i cant believe I said that :$, i mean its good, but not that good) let me rephrase, building feels very good indeed! and what fudge9202 says… very addictive… I am on about my 6th & 7th (simultaneous) build as we speak… I almost dont want to finish. I know it will be a while before it happens again 🙁

matt_outandabout

Good work OP.

cardo

Love sourcing , considering and finally building a bike… Very satisfying.
    Nice job OP

mrsfry
    Free Member

Show off

Not jealous 🙁 As long as we are best mates and still share 8)

fin25
    Free Member

So this is the finished article, fettled and adjusted to perfection.
    Have been commuting on it for the past month and I can’t find a thing to complain about.
    Bored now, think I’ll build a fatbike next…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Just built myself a new bike, from scratch and everything!’ is closed to new replies.