Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Just bought my first flat, what to do when i get the keys?
  • RustyMac

Hi,

I'm looking for some help and advice, i have just bought my first flat. What are the first things i need to do when i get the keys. Do i change the locks? who is best to go with for gas and electricity? should i get someone in to inspect the boiler etc as i only have a few days after i move in to make a claim if what i have bought isn't as described(in good working order).

Cheers Rusty

Flash
    Free Member

Walk around nakid, and stand in front of the Windows

iDave
    Free Member

stop worrying about stuff, have a party, enjoy your castle, and hide a spare key somewhere outside

Bunnyhop

Clean it.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

2nd Bunnyhop.
    clean it, before you move any of your stuff in.

flatfish
    Free Member

bring kettle and brew kit, change locks, fit window locks etc, clean, then move in. enjoy.

nuke

Do people change locks when they move in a house? Bought and sold several houses over the years and never changed locks.

Take meter readings. Then get on the phone…council tax, phone & broadband, water, tv license, electric, gas, buildings & contents insurance etc etc. Its boring but get it done and out the way.

…and clean it.

matt_bl
    Free Member

nuke – Member

Do people change locks when they move in a house? Bought and sold several houses over the years and never changed locks.

+1 for clean it, my current place I think they packed the vacuum away when I put in the offer!

I changed the mortice locks to 5-levers for insurance purposes, rather than paranoia.

Matt

Ewan
    Free Member

If you're living by yourself then hide a key! It's really quite upsetting when you hear the 'click' of the latch behind you…

Then, buy some fuses (if fused) for the switch box, and work out how to turn the water on and off.

Say hello to the neighbours as well – it'd be weird if you did it in 6 months time (when you want them to do something for you!) but entirely normal if you do it now. I did it when I moved into mine and got help moving all my crap in!

If by yourself make sure you get the 25% discount on council tax as well.

Finally, you've got 6 months (IIRC) to challenge the council tax banding of your flat. A lot of flats have the wrong info – i challenged mine 5months and 20 days after I moved in (cutting it fine!) and got it reduced, and saved several hundred quid. The council had my flat down as a two bed, and had valued it accordingly (in 1991 when the valuation was done). I further amused the council by informing the other occupants of the block of flats of this fact 😀

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/council-tax-bands-change

IanMunro
    Free Member

Stand in the front room, slowly look around you, and try and blank the voice in your head screaming
    "OH MY GOD!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!"
    🙂

iDave
    Free Member

+1 on the neighbours thing

flip
    Free Member

Have a wafty krank, walk round naked etc…

sslowpace
    Free Member

Agree on the cleaning. Hire a carpet cleaner for a day or two. And don't thing about why the water is black and your carpets are now a different colour. Or burn them, if easier 😈

And change the locks and put window locks in if you need too. Reduced our insurance by about £100 pa

MrNutt
    Free Member

paint all the walls and windows black, put tinfoil on the ceiling and build a fort out of cardboard boxes in the largest room, get a loop tape of the laughing policeman playing at full volume and then invite the Jehovah witnesses around.

zaskar
    Free Member

Clean and say hello to neighbours.

skiboy
    Free Member

+ another for cleaning, walking round naked, wrafty cank, and then just enjoy the peace and quite, oh and don't forget to stand in the windows naked, no need to introduce yourself to the neighbours then 😉

nuke

and then just enjoy the peace and quite

…before your neighbours come home and play death metal until 3am 😈

eckinspain
    Free Member

fish and chips and champagne (out of mugs) while sat on the bare floorboards.

JulianA
    Free Member

zaskar – Member
    Clean and say hello to neighbours.

You have to clean your neighbours before you can say hello to them? What sort of area is it?!

robinbetts
    Free Member

Given the location of this forum, I'm suprized no one has mentioned the obvious… Find a place for your bike(s)!

RustyMac

Bikes are temporarily in my girlfriends cellar, will need to buy a shed once i've moved in, you can all expect future posts on ground anchors, sheds and the like.

Cheers

Rusty

PePPeR

Send us a email and I'll sort you out a voucher to help with cleaning.

Pieface

If it needs decorating do it now before you move all your crap in / get settled.

theotherjonv

get the girlfriend round and start christening the rooms one by one.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Just bought my first flat, what to do when i get the keys?’ is closed to new replies.