Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Just bought a second hand CCDB for my Alpine160
  • darrimc30
    Free Member

Hi
    Just after some advice, I have bought a second hand CCBD shock for my Alpine 160, happy with the shocks history and its just been serviced 4 months ago by TF Tuned so should be in good condition.
    Can anyone recommend a good website for tuning settings and for a titanium spring

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

email malcolm@canecreek.com. He is the brand manager for CCDB and has a spreadsheet/database of settings and should send you some. Could try the advanced forum search on here as there are some old threads where owners have posted settings (standard search box is useless but the advanced actually finds stuff).

I have a CCDB on an Alpine 160, cant remember settings off top of my head as I havent touched them in a year, but I started with Malcolms and added a fair bit of LSC to get rid of the “trapdooring” on slow rolling stuff, and a bit of either HSR or HSC to get rid of a slight flat tyre feeling on some fast corners. Didnt change the settings massively from recommended though.

They recommend quite a lot of sag, and a lot of peoples criticisms of CCDBS comes (in my opinion) from them being used to air shocks with too little rebound. CCDBS are described as “dead” when people want “poppy”, which is a way of saying the CCDB works as suspension should but theyve got used to working around (and to some extent exploiting) the typical air shocks characteristics.

Ti spring should make no real difference, spring rate is spring rate and any damping characteristics of the spring metal will be totally overwhelmed by the shock itself. It does drop a stack of weight and look pimp though 😎

cant help you with animal excrement I’m afraid!

carlphillips
    Free Member

As per CTM, the ‘lounge’ has lots of ‘base tunes’ for different frames, you can also download a tuning guide from there which I found really helpful, the shock is nothing short of amazing!

robj20
    Free Member

I love mine on the Nomad, find it really hard not to constantly tweak the settings though.

toons
    Free Member

eBbay for a spring or loco tuning did some.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

New prices on Ti springs are eye watering (guessing as you bought the CCDB used your not Mr Moneybags, no offence intended) keep your eyes on classifieds here, theres been a few ti springs recently (I got mine off here a few weeks ago) going for around the 60-80 quid mark.

Northwind

Ti spring is just expensive weight saving, most bikes have better places to save it (not to mention that if you get fatter, or change your riding much, you might want to change the rate!) So it’s not that it’s a bad idea but don’t jump into it, certainly not straight away til you’re 100% sure the spring rate is right for you.

cubemeup
    Free Member

just a question about setting it up

how does a database help you set it up, surely its down to feel and understanding what tweak will make a difference?

i was looking at getting for my nomad but im sure with all them settings 90% of would be lost and just running the shock wrong.

i might be wrong but all the LSC and HSC etc is over my head

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The database has settings their test riders have come up with for different bikes/designs and rider weights which gives you a starting point. Theres thousands of combinations so it saves a few years of trial and error…

carlphillips
    Free Member

@cubemeup if you download the tuning guide and follow it whilst setting it up it explains How everything works and what to change depending on how you want the bike to feel, it’s fairly easy to get to feel just right, however the temptation to keep changing to see if you can tweak it even more is very hard to resist… Record your settings and just put them back if it doesn’t feel good, it really is simple.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Manual and tuning guide straightforward and easy to follow. I got my Covert CCDB set up sweet with them in hand. Be prepared to find a nice section of trail and ride and ride and ride it while tweaking (carefully!) in between. And write down where you are when it’s right.

Loco did Ti springs at very competitive prices so worth a look.

CCDB is a great piece of kit when set up right.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Just bought a second hand CCDB for my Alpine160’ is closed to new replies.