• This topic has 37 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kcal.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Just bought a Brooks saddle without trying it – will I regret it?
  • easily
    Free Member

It’s a B17 standard. It cost 90 quid at Bikester in the sale – cheaper than the C17.

So, am I headed for a lifetime of luxurious comfort?

I almost bought one of these:
    https://www.bikester.co.uk/topeak-ratchet-stick-ratchet-wrench-1198843_3382228.html
    but something held me back. I’d really like something like this – versatile, light, easy to carry – but Wasn’t convinced by it. Any recs for similar products?

scotroutes

You might get on with it and you might not. Like any other saddle it’s very much a personal thing.

FWIW I used a B17 for a few years. My first ride was a 50 miler in East Lothian and it was comfy right away.

martinhutch

I hated mine, but plenty of people seem to like them.

Futureboy77
    Free Member

Doubt you’ll regret it if you give it time, but who knows. Personally my derriere has never been too saddle fussy and always got on with Brooks.

jkomo

Ratchet- get this
    Deal of the day for Prime Members: Bosch 2607017160 Screwdriving Set with Mini Ratchet (27 Pieces) https://amzn.eu/d/1D9dXAm
    So handy for tight spaces,weighs nowt, put it and the bits you need in a little pouch.

StirlingCrispin

Brooks B17
    Love ’em. I have two on my various bikes (one Ti-, one mere steel).
    Spend time setting it level.

Joke:
    How do you soften a Brooks saddle?
    Place it in a pan of boiling water with a rock.
    Remove the saddle when the rock goes soft.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I found a swallow was extremely comfortable when new and rock had and got less and less comfortable as i broke it in.

So i sold it second hand for more than I paid for it 😀

tjagain

Objects of torture for me

Watty

And me, but thanks @jkomo for the PSA on the ratchet set. 👍

joshvegas
    Free Member

that bosch ratchet does look good for te price.

But the ratchet rocket that comes in a pouch… RX? is pheneominally good as a compete package. Other than any ussue with the Storage handle I don’t see why the link in the op woud be of any concern.

tthew

I’ve got a Cambrium one from a previous PSA. Now usually I have a hard enough arse to be able to go for a couple of hours local ride without padded shorts on. Not this thing, oh no. Liners every time makes it merely ‘uncomfortable’. Looks cool though, so that’s the main thing. 😁

p7eaven
    Free Member

I didn’t get on with the B-17 it just seem to be rockhard even after 200 miles and also couldn’t seem to position it in any way that fit me. Then I realised that this lovely gift from Mrs P was actually the narrow version! I sold it on and didn’t try a Brooks again for about another 20yrs until recently bought a bike with a Brooks Team Pro Special fitted, which is now on the touring /doitallbike. l

The saddle is fairly new so still tough (with a bit of give) and it’s the most comfortable saddle I’ve yet used. Sometimes it gets switched onto the gravelbeast (rigid 29er) for light and/or lengthy offroad duties. I don’t feel the need to wear shorts-inserts/chamois on rides up to 50-60 miles.

Haven’t tried any longer rides yet but don’t foresee any problems.

I like the quality and the looks of it also, but that doesnt really matters as long as it’s comfortable and it lasts. As it is, it lives underneath a saddle-cover most of the time (I think the brand is Aardvark)

In fact, the saddle cover gives it a little extra comfort.

So it seems that finally I’m sorted.

I did once try a friend’s B-17 which was very old and well-worn, and that also was incredibly comfortable.

As with all saddles – ymmv

nbt

Like others I got a B17, I really didn’t get on with it and a mate who loves then snapped it up from me. Horse for courses and all that

nickc

Yeah, it’s a big no from me. Tried one and moved it on very quickly

lucasshmucas

I recommend using proofide to help the saddle break in. I’ve had my b17 for 10 years and I love it.

kilo

I loved mine, but just swapped it out for a cambium and not massively impressed with build quality – snapped tension bolt.

They do seem to need care setting them up to get the best out of them.

Also gotta love the strap line from Brooks website, another B thing bonus;

“We are temporarily suspending all new orders from the UK at this time. For more information and to be notified of when shipping will resume, please”

convert

I had one on a bike for pootling about the village. Gave the bike away in the end.

Big plus – for me it was a big old armchair and comfy as anything with none biking clothes on.

Negatives – Very easy to knacker – if you don’t maintain it and it gets soaked left out in the rain and you ride it wet it’ll belly out beyond what can be saved with extra tension.

It’s heavy – like really heavy
    It is broad – very much suits a sit up and beg riding position – it’s not the model I’d choose for a head down arse up road bike.

I have a couple of cambriums now which as much better for me. The one with a cut out and carbon rails was an ebay 2nd hand purchase as new they are eye wateringly expensive but by god it’s comfortable on my proper road bike.

zilog6128

I had one, hardness didn’t bother me, it was just far too wide!

tall_martin

Bought one hated it until I got totally soaked in a storm. 22 years on and it’s still comfy.

Bought 2 sprung brooks flyers for road and gravel bikes. 16 and 3 years on they are both still ace. Neither of these needed braking in. They were both comfy from day 1.

100 miles bike packing in two days in the lakes= b17. Bum was happy.
    140 miles on road bike in one day= flyer. Bum was happy.
    120 miles on gravel bike in one day= flyer. Bum was happy.

For all of these rides the rest of me is very, very sad indeed so the non sore bum is a massive bonus

martymac

I have that bosch ratchet set, it’s really good quality 👍👍

I have 2 B17 saddles, they’re perfect for me, and were instantly comfortable.
    But any saddle is very much a personal thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive 2 b17s – a swift a c16 carbon and a c17 cut out.

The only one i dont get on with is the swift ti …. which is gutting as it was near 200 quid.

My black b17 is much harder than my brown one (done over 15 years on my commuter…. its comfy no matter what i wear to ride it. )

MY black one has done less miles but even from new it was much harder.

my swift has just never been comfy – its just the wrong shape 🙁

p7eaven
    Free Member

I had one, hardness didn’t bother me, it was just far too wide!

my B-17 iirc was too narrow (because it was the ‘narrow’ one?)

I’m usually happy around 143/145mm with Spesh BG offerings, so can’t figure out why the B-17 narrow (at 150 whatever mm) felt wrong (possibly too short?) yet the Team Pro Special feels spot-on. Maybe my memory fails me and the B-17 that I didn’t get along with was a B-17 short? woteevaaaa. Sorted now 🙂

Here’re some figures from Brooks:

Team Pro Special: L 275 x W 160 x H 67 mm
    Weight: 540 g

B-17 (standard): L 275 x W 175 x H 65
    Weight: 520 g

B-17 (narrow): L 279 x W 151 x H 70 mm
    Weight: 510 g

B-17 (short): L 242 x W 176 x H 58 mm
    Weight: 460 g

The B-17 Narrow is (I read) designed more in line with touring/road bikes drop bars etcetera

easily
    Free Member

Well it’s on the bike, and I’ve sat on it for a dozen km. So far it seems remarkably comfy considering the horror stories I’d heard about how hard they are initially.
    It’s remarkably slidey – I’m shifting back and forth a bit, but I assume I’ll get used to that.
    I’ll give it a longer go tomorrow and I’m taking an Allen key with me so I can fettle it.

p7eaven
    Free Member

@easily Aardvark saddle cover

(thank me later)

BTW I Left my saddle cover in the car today wish I hadn’t because my shorts were also slippy #bornslippy #ghostrider

joshvegas
    Free Member

yeah really don’t get it wet.

easily
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice – I rarely leave my bike out in the open, but I’ll keep it in mind.

I already have a saddle cover, but the Aardvark does look good, and anything named after an aardvark is alright with me.

boblo
    Free Member

Just take carrier bag stashed under the saddle. Rain? Et voila.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I also subscribe to the carrier bag stashed under.

Advantage being especially on commuter it makes the saddle look less desirable to scrotes.

Riding in the wet on my leather saddles has never been an issue the underside is covered in nikwax waterproofer wax.

But I do like the top to be covered up when parked as for obvious reasons you can’t just leave it covered in proofide/wax

p7eaven
    Free Member

Advantage being especially on commuter it makes the saddle look less desirable to scrotes.

The (Aardvark) saddle-cover has the same effect, with added benefit of a (thin) layer of padding and less-slippery when riding. It also protects the saddle when the bike falls over (I discovered this a few days ago after a drop – small hole in the cover – no chips in the saddle 🙂 )

It’s one small purchase I’ve never regretted. I could always double-up with the old Tesco bag if in particularly scrote-dense areas but haven’t as yet felt the need

trail_rat
    Free Member

Markedly more than 10 pence though

p7eaven
    Free Member

Markedly more than 10 pence though

Use an old/discarded placcy carrier/bag, no need to buy a new one!

PSA* I got my cover from freshtripe, BTW. Stellar service and good price!

(*not relative/friend/employer/spam etc)

nixie

After borrowing a c15 cambrium carved I now want one. If anyone has a good condition one in black please let me know.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Use an old/discarded placcy carrier/bag, no need to buy a new one!

I’m not sure why your telling me this after spending 15 quid on a glorified version.

Of course I don’t go to the shops to buy one specifically to put on my saddle.

But someone somewhere paid 10 pence for the bag I’m using.

didnthurt

I have a ti Brooks Swift on my road bike. It’s very nice.

The B17 was too wide in comparison. More suited for a traditional sit up type bike.

I’ve got mine wet a few times but has dried out OK. Over time though, the rivets can stand a little proud as the leather stretches. I just re-shaped the rivet heads a touch with a hammer.

easily
    Free Member

p7eaven

So you keep your cover on when riding, not just put it on when you leave the bike in a potentially wet place? I think I’ll go with the plastic bag under the seat.

I moved the saddle forward about 30mm today. It looks further forward then my previous saddle, but it so far it seems better this way. In about 5 years I reckon I’ll have a comfy saddle in the perfect position.

p7eaven
    Free Member

So you keep your cover on when riding, not just put it on when you leave the bike in a potentially wet place?

Always on when unattended with potential rain, sometimes on while riding (depending upon what I’m wearing or how hard the rain), and always when left locked/unattended in public places

kilo

I moved the saddle forward about 30mm today. It looks further forward then my previous saddle, but it so far it seems better this way.

Mine ended up quite a bit further forward than my other saddles to get the best positioning.
    Re the covers, if the bike is going to be left unattended, in London at least, a brooks would be a real thieves target. Not unusual for people to run a cable lock to secure the saddle.

kcal

Have a Brooks Swift – which is initially comfortable, then after a while in the saddle became less so. Eventually swapped it for a Cambium and that’s been ideal. Not sure what happened with the Swift – just a different cut and different ‘give’.

Probably good time to sell on the Swift I guess!

Edit: just realised I’ve written pretty much what @trailrat said. So not just me for the Swift shape then. It seems to dig into the back of my leg after a couple of hours.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.