Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Just been told we're going on to 3 day week
  • ironbrucove

starting from next week!

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought I’d be given at least a months notice of this. I’m trying to play ball as I’d rather have some job rather than no job

Any advice would be grateful.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Merry fookin christmas 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

advice -dare I say it? ask your union rep?

What I would actually do about it depends on a lot of factors. Ultimatly if the business is in that much difficulty then your options are limited.

But yes – you should have had consultation and notice and so on and you would be entitled to refuse to accept this

binners

In my experience, your options in this situation usually amount to

1) Take it
    2) Leave it

You can get all union rep on them if you like, but I doubt it’ll improve matters for anyone. Companies don’t tend to do things like this unless the writing really is on the wall.

Sorry to hear though. Look at the positives though. You’ve still got a job. Could be a lot worse

tails
    Free Member

or a 4 day weekend!!

rocketman
    Free Member

Have been on a three-day week several times, it’s not so bad. Plenty of opportunities to ride your bike(s) and get some well-earned r&r.

simonm
    Free Member

look at the positives… you’ll get twice as much time to ride.

ironbrucove

Union what?? I wish, unfortunately I’m a consultant engineer and its a smallish civil engineering firm of 50 odd folk, although it appears to be only our team of four that have been put on a short week. I’ll be going home, polishing my CV and then using the extra time to sort through all the old stuff I can Gumtree or ebay for a start.

ourmaninthenorth

OP – give the CAB a quick call. However, I think I;d be more inclined to adopt your positive approach. Use the time wisely and I hope something good turns up. Best of luck.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ironbrucove – Member

Union what?? I wish,

You can join one – anyone can.

If its only 4 of you out of 50 then I would be going after them bigstyle.

simonm
    Free Member

also beware in situations like this, kicking up a fuss now just means you edge yourself closer to the top of the redundancy pick list…

dyls

How did they choose the 4 of you out of the 50 to start with?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Enjoy it, on a 4 day myself since the beginning of october, tis magic! Although, mind you I think a 3 day would stretch me too far financially!

4 out of 50 seems odd mind..sounds like they are trying to get rid of you?

monkeyboyjc

ask your union rep?

– LOL…..

Any small company would laugh at that – we’ve had CV’s come in from people ex public sector which say ‘member of unison’, MD files them puts them in the bin.

OP – sounds like your doing the right thing, start looking else where. Speak to CAB if your really anoyed about the short notice and lack of consultation – but i’d guess your contract will have it written in that they can reduce your hours at empolyers discression.

jj55

Read this about short time working! May help the situation – good luck!

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you can (financially) afford the situation make it positive. Any chance of picking up some consultancy work? Learn an new skill? Not familiar with civil engineering but I’d be looking to teach my self a new programming language / package / analysis technique, numerical method e.t.c.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Union what?? I wish, unfortunately I’m a consultant engineer …..

MSF merged into Unite. I would trust their legal department to provide you with better advise than CAB.

http://www.unitetheunion.org/about_us/history/history_of_msf.aspx

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Just been told we're going on to 3 day week’ is closed to new replies.