just been diagnosed with a hernia..

Home Forum Bike Forum just been diagnosed with a hernia..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • just been diagnosed with a hernia..
  • IHN

Inguinal is the one in the groin, yeah?

If so, I’ve had two, I’ve ridden with two (at different times). Depends how bad/painful it is I suppose.

After ops to fix them I kept off the bike for a couple of months to let it all heal up properly.

I have some pics somewhere, I’ll see if I can find them 🙂

wisepranker

I had one and was riding my bike up until two days before the operation with no problems, saying that though, I didn’t really have any pain with it.
    I’m typing this while sitting about at home in some pain after having the operation on it yesterday. I was advised no driving for 3 weeks and no lifting for 6 weeks. I can’t imagine I’ll be back on the bike for at least the next 4-5 weeks, even for a gentle potter about!

turbo1397

Yip its the one in the groin.. i first noticed it when lifting something heavy. I know its coming into winter and i wont be riding as much, but need my weekly fix! 🙁

jacksonwwirl

i cycled around with one for 4 months last year it wasnt painful just irritating .i was off the bike for 10 days afterwards.the day after surgery will be painful.you are better off getting it sorted sooner rather than later , if you have insurance go private and it will be all sorted in about a week in and out same day .

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

I’ve had one for 4 years. Was found very very early and was advised to leave it be for a bit. Now getting to point where I should get it sorted. Been cycling, snow boarding and climbing with no issues.

glupton1976

Grey pubes – there’s no need for that at this time of day.

turbo1397

Just been to docs and been diagnosed with a Inguinal hernia.Strange thing is i never felt it at the weekend whilst out on the bike. I have purchased a hernia support to see if this aleviates the pain any.. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are about cycling whilst having a hernia. 🙁

turbo1397

Unfortunately no insurance, so it’ll nedd to be nhs, which unfortunately means it’ll be a long wait. Docs informed hospital so the ball is rolling..just didnt want to risk making it any worse by biking, boarding etc..

wisepranker

Unfortunately no insurance, so it’ll nedd to be nhs, which unfortunately means it’ll be a long wait

Mine was done on the NHS, from being diagnosed to the op was about 10 weeks so not too long.

Premier Icon tinman66
    Subscriber

I had double (one on each side) inguinal hernias last year. Had mine done on the NHS and can’t speak highly enough of the staff and results.

I was getting a lot of pain in my groin, couldn’t sit properly, couldn’t stand sometimes. I went in to hospital as a day case and was home and sorted by 3pm.

They did tell me I wouldn’t be able to walk properly for a couple of weeks and and signed me off work for 2 weeks.

I had my op on the Thursday and I was walking around a local show on the Sunday with only mild discomfort. Within a week I was walking and moving fine, just hurt a bit standing up and lifting.

I think one of the major factors is the procedure, I had mine done by keyhole surgery and the results and recovery seem much better than traditional methods. Definitely ask your GP about getting it done by keyhole.

Took me a month until I was going on gentle rides.

paddy0091

“Unfortunately no insurance”? Good job you’re not in America eh.. 🙄

Get well soon 8)

Premier Icon StirlingCrispin
    Subscriber

I had a double inguinal repair three years ago.
    Had the hernias for years without any problems – they ached a bit when I coughed but that was all. Only went to the docs when my dad had his strangulate after decades with one (and after the op he realised he had one on the other side too – he’d assumed everyone had a bulge there!).
    Delayed the op for a couple of months so I could go on a cycle tour (and that’s what I told the surgeno)- so no worries about cycling without one, or two.

After the op is chuffin’ agony (I had an open op). I stayed off the bike for a week and then started very gentle cycling with the surgeons permission. Within three and a bit weeks I was upto 30 miles and was touring after three months. Cycling is good as it stops adhesions forming and my recovery went faster than friends who didn’t. Wasn’t allowed to lift my young kids for a month or two which sucked.

I have some NHS guidance (from my dad) and medical journal articles if you want then.. I got no guidance but was working from home within a week – but a GP friend said she’d have happily signed me off for two weeks. An HGV driver / labourer is signed off work for months or more.
    Good luck!

andyrm

Got one both sides, been advised it’s fine to carry on with (by 3 different medical professionals) and had no significant issues in over 4 years.

Rumour has it the keyhole and mesh procedure is better and lasts longer than the traditional slice and stitch, as the muscle has something to “knit” onto.

Guess it’s a case by case thing – I was told that if it hurts or becomes a problem, then to get it done, but if not, to leave it for now.

Premier Icon alexpalacefan
    Subscriber

This should help,

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg[/video]

APF

slimraybob

I had a double sorted with keyhole surgery on the NHS and can only heap praise on a very slick and professional procedure.

From the first trip to the docs to get the ball rolling to the meeting with the surgeon was about 10 days and I could have had the op the following week, I actually had to delay the surgery for a few weeks to fit in with the christmas holidays.

On the day, I checked in at 8am, was prep’d and taken down at 9, 3 holes, some kevlar and an hour and a half later I was back in recovery. By 1pm I was off the bed and sitting in a chair and by 4 pm I was home.
    I was encouraged to walk as much as possible as soon as possible and given a few Tramadol for the first few days to really take the edge off, then Paracetamol for a week or so.

I had it done on the 16th Dec and was back on site on the 6th Jan admittedly not lifting heavy weights for the first few days.

Although the surgeon recommended taking 3 weeks off the bike I was pain free and strong enough to manage 25km om the flat after 14 days.

As the other posters have mentioned try to opt for keyhole if possible.

turbo1397

Thanks for all the replies.. seems quite a common problem. Im not getting any discomfort when i ride the bike, but when im lifting and strangely when im walking. I work in a warehouse enviroment so i have been told by docs to do ‘light duties’ for a couple of weeks. Going to try one of the hernia supports that you can get ( horrible looking things!) but if it helps it’ll be worth it.. 🙂

neninja

I’ve got one in my belly button that I got several months ago moving a cast iron bench. It doesn’t hurt and I’ve been told is probably just a fatty layer poking through rather than anything more serious.

I was told to leave it unless it caused discomfort and changed colour. It’s done neither and I don’t notice it.

busydog

As the other posters have mentioned try to opt for keyhole if possible.

I had bilateral herniea repaired via the keyhole/laproscopic procedure about 15 years ago. I was back riding in about 10 days, albeit a little carefully for a couple of weeks. They did a spinal block rather than general anethesia and I watched the procedure on their surgical tv (although a bit groggy from the Vercet they gave me prior to the block)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘just been diagnosed with a hernia..’ is closed to new replies.