Just a quickie – buying a 2nd hand bike – BikeRegister

Home Forum Bike Forum Just a quickie – buying a 2nd hand bike – BikeRegister

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Just a quickie – buying a 2nd hand bike – BikeRegister
  • grumpster

Just a quick question.

I’ve seen a 2nd hand bike for sale which I quite fancy but will probably pass on as there is no proof of purchase or ownership.

RRP of the bike is ~£1000 and the asking price ~£400 and its a over year old so price is good but not ridiculously cheap which would ring alarm bells.

I see on the bikeregister website you can check to see if a frame’s serial number registered as stolen. How reliable is this check?

Can’t think I’ve ever asked for proof or thought of doing so. Why? Surely go look and trust your gut. Seems like over worrying to me.

PS if you’re on the look out for a
    Trek,
    Specialized,
    Santa Cruz,
    Surly,
    Pivot,
    Etc let me know :op

rene59

How reliable is this check?

If it comes up as being stolen, who would lie about that?

grumpster

If it comes up as being stolen, who would lie about that?

I’m more concerned about a false negative rather than a false positive. Does the bike show up clean and subsequently turn out to be stolen?

Can’t think I’ve ever asked for proof or thought of doing so. Why? Surely go look and trust your gut. Seems like over worrying to me.

My gut feel is a little negative about the seller and it’s a 40 miles drive to go and see it hence why I said I’ll probably pass on it.

Many years ago (>20) I bought a 2nd hand Cannondale from a bike shop in good faith (26″ front wheel and 24″ back wheel – remember them?) which turned out to be pinched. You can get a good feel about a sale and still get caught out. Too many threads on here are about innocent people getting their bikes stolen. Maybe I am a bit of a worrier, but if everyone checked for some sort of proof of purchase a lot less bikes would go missing.

Dickyboy

How reliable is this check?

At a guess there must be a lot more stolen bikes that are not on the register than are on it.

Premier Icon ibnchris
    Subscriber

If you’re going to his house to view it I don’t imagine he’s stolen the bike. But if you’re meeting him in a Car park I’d think twice and ask for some kind of proof of id so that if something bad does happen you can trace it back

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Pay cash and walk away. Dropping 50% in a year isn’t unheard of depending on the condition, ie if the drive train is well used and it needs a service it could easily be worth that.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Respect to you for wanting to make sure it’s not stolen.

I can prove ownership of all of my bikes, regardless of age and would expect to be showing that if/when I sold them.

Remember, bike thieves are only half the problem. People creating a demand/market are the other half.

Over the years I have sold a lot of bikes yet only 2 people have ever ask for a receipt even though I could give them one 2017 I sold 5 no one asked on those.

I would go and have a look and ask a few questions of the seller . Where did you get it , why did you go for that model , why did you go for 29 inch wheels ? Check that the size of the bike is right for the seller . That should give you a good feel about whether he cycles or not and just go with your gut . Worst case scenario it’s stolen and you buy it then at least it came from 40 miles away so your chance of it ever being found is negligeable .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.