Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • just a little Dartmoor ride report with a couple of pics..
  • yunki
    Free Member

I went for a pootle through the woods yesterday, with the sole intention of getting some photographs of a place up on the ridge where I expected there to be a grand display of Fly Agaric toadstools (there were none there.. 🙁 )

So I popped out onto the open moor at the other side of the woods for a couple of shots of the sunset.. (it was too cloudy)

A ruin in the woods.. very Indiana Jones

Looking back to a branch down over the trail at Heavens gate.. As you drop down towards bridge too far from the Hisley Bridge climb, just past the first fast, long, sweeping right hander is a big boulder with quite a narrow squeeze to get past it..
    This hefty branch is directly over that narrow gap.. I know some people riding up there are capable of taking that corner at quite a pace, so look out for the tree!!

On a similar note does this tree on the climb out of Hisley give anyone else the fear..? there’s a couple of them looming over the path, just where there appears to be frequent landslips, there was another new landslip just out of shot.. these trees are massively tall, and lean noticeably toward the valley floor.. could they come down any time soon or are they old warriors..?

The thing about MTB in the south of England, is that there’s no rocks..

This looked promising for a spectacular sunset, but it was clouding over fast, and I was getting too cold to hang around..

DarrenH

Lovely job! Some great pictures.

galactus
    Free Member

Nice pictures yunki,
    I was out at Crazywell pool yesterday,and as soon as the sun went down it was bitingly cold 🙁
    By the looks of your clean steed it was not very wet?
    I came back sodden(no rain) from big puddles etc and my bike looks like I’ve ridden through a bog!

readikus

Brilliant photos 🙂

northernerindevon

Am I being retarded in some way? I can’t see the photos. Why would this be? I am on a shared computer and have tried in FireFox and IE. Had a gander in the forum help section but no avail… I ride Dartmoor a lot and wanted to be reminded of home!

Thanks for any help and sorry if its me being a ‘tard

yunki
    Free Member

ahh… sorry northernerindevon, but these are local photos for local people.. 😉

honestly though, no idea why you you can’t see the photos.. I link them from facebook usually but that’s never been a problem..

Galactus, it was relatively dry in the woods at Lustleigh, although I expect the higher reaches of the nutcracker were a bit of a mess as they often are..
    The rest of the ride I was very careful to avoid anywhere that would be very wet, and linked up on quite a bit of road section.. but it also seems that often the Eastern edge of the moor drains a bit quicker..

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Great photos. Really like the last one in particular. 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

Cool photo’s

That tree looks quite dodgy, is there no way to mark the angle that it sits at too see if it’s a progressive form of leaning?, a decent amount of rain / erosion might just bring that down 😯

bigbloke
    Free Member

very jealous of you folk down that way. just an observation….are your pedals the same both sides cos the pics look like flats in one then not in the second? maybe i is mad .

yunki
    Free Member

well spotted..!

the leaning tree pic is from last week… 😀

bigbloke
    Free Member

do i get a prize now? 😉

yunki
    Free Member

I’m tempted to award you the ‘orrible SPD pedals.. 😐

Satan’s own invention, they are almost excellent, until it comes to anything slippery or technical.. then they are ‘orrible..

I lost a lot of confidence on the bike during the couple of months that I was clipped in.. a very nasty business..

eviljoe
    Free Member

Nice shots Yunki, I must bimble down Lustleigh way m’self sometime soon, been a while. Although not before letting 95% of the air out of my tyres to deal with those slippery slippery rocks…

bigbloke
    Free Member

yunki……funny you mention them as i tried them today too and soooo wish i hadn’t not liking them at all, glad i only bought pedals and borrowed some shoes as i fear my flats may be back sooner rather than later.

yunki
    Free Member

I stuck with it for as long as I could.. under some circumstances they’re really good, but I found that I was having trouble committing on gnarly roots and rocks to the point of getting off and pushing stuff that I would usually attempt..

For plugging out miles over smoother trails, even razzing smooth fast singletrack and trailcentres they are ace.. but I don’t like them when it gets sketchy..

northernerindevon

Sweet photos Yunki, on a different PC and browser now. Can’t wait to get
    back and get out riding.

v666ern
    Free Member

would that be houndtor or yarner woods…?

Sorry my father in law lives in newton abbott and all i get from the LBS’ are go to haldon forest…i just prefer non tarmac’d trails and with the moors being so big a good starting point would be nice!

yunki
    Free Member

Houndtor woods.. they’re not keen on bikes in Yarner as it’s a nature reserve..
    Or post up on here when you’re heading this way and try to get a guided tour..

Gunz
    Free Member

yunki, I live in the direction of Launceston could I give you a shout in a month or so for a bit of guiding. Being time poor I’d like to get straight to the good stuff I’m sure it’s taken you years to discover.

v666ern
    Free Member

yunki, thats a good start for me, thanks for your kind offer – i may take you up on it next year, im going to have an explore first though

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘just a little Dartmoor ride report with a couple of pics..’ is closed to new replies.