• This topic has 85 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Just a fleshwound
  • Drac

onehundredthidiot – Member
    Just out of minor injuries. Nurse was happy with how clean I’d got it. She’s put the dressing they’d use for burns on it due to size and depth. Back on Wednesday for change of dressing. That’s my mid week ride ruined then.

😉

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I carried on riding with mine – the dressing stayed put. The only struggle was bumpy stuff, just because it was a bit sore – in particular the bridge over the estuary at Barmouth, I had to resort to riding with one hand but it was easily doable.

As long as you have spare dressings I’d give it a go 🙂

(Obviously not being a qualified health professional I can say what I like 😉 )

onehundredthidiot

Looking right tasty this morning

Ffs

adjustablewench
    Free Member

You really should get it looked at – it looks broken (the link that is 😉 )

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Might need the bandages changing a bit sooner than mid-week…

Drac

Doing their job well.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

They used the silver impregnated gel gauze on mine so it could stay on longer between changes – was a bit rank by the time it needed changing though.

Modern dressings are incredible

hammyuk
    Free Member

Wench … You sure you’re female?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Absolutely 🙂 the clue is in the name

CountZero

In my defense i had just done the Sandstone way so was probably a little too much in mtb mode when really I was riding my croix de fer with road tyres . . . It all went horribly wrong on a gravelly corner.

My last coming off was at walking speed turning off a minor road onto a cycle path, both wheels went out from under me, slamming my left knee into the Tarmac, along with shoulder and cheek, fortunately I had my lid on, which took the brunt of my head impact.
    My knee, however, has never been right, and I’m waiting on the diagnosis from an X-Ray, which is likely to show osteoarthritis setting in, so I’d say you’re lucky.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I’ve had a few offs over the years and I always try to carry on regardless. My logic behind that is – if I take time off riding when I’m injured I seem to suffer longer (but I’ve not done a proper study of this, it may just seem longer as I will be itching to get back on my bike)

Just before the Bearbones 200 last year I got knocked off by some muppet at a roundabout. I had to go to hospital as I couldn’t lift my right leg, they scanned my pelvis and spine and couldn’t see and fractures and advised me to rest.

I managed to do the bb200 that weekend with the help of some decent painkillers and a deliberately steady pace . . . And I seemed to recover quite well in the long run. ‘Mobilise as pain allows’ can actually get you a really long way it seems 🙂

Northwind

I’m a convert to the Church of Tegaderm, awesome stuff. Expensive but I bought a massive box of em off ebay and now I could laminate my house with it. I love how epically disgusting it all looks 😆

(though, I had one come loose on my elbow one time and puke a load of runny brown awful all down my sleeve at work, that wasn’t so good)

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Yes they do make a gloopy mess but it works keeping it moist. As we are going for grim photos I will share the picture of my ‘gash’ about 3 weeks after I’d done it . . . .
    I did worry that it would stay like it bit the holes did eventually fill up

Drac

I will shall the picture of my ‘gash’ about 3 weeks after I’d done it

😯

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Sorry – probably stepping over all lines of taste decency and innuendo . . . It is the appropriate name for such a wound though

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Ouch, I didn’t get any photos quite that good from my trips to the hospital last summer. Surprised that didn’t get stitches, looks like a pretty big hole 😯

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I think it was decided not to stich it because they were holes rather than cuts. They tried their best to clean it but a scan has confirmed there is a lump of gravel in there still.

I think it healed quite well given the mess I’d made of it 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Marry me Wench 😆

wwaswas

My elbow was happy last time it got scraped and bruised:

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Never feed your dog scabs (I was very drunk at the time) as he’ll now sit next to me, staring very attentively at any new scabs waiting for his next “treat”.

MoreCashThanDash

We are a weird group on here. Love the fact that people take selfies of their injuries (woundies?) while at A&E, or even before going!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

That elbow is brilliant!

growinglad
    Free Member

That elbow is brilliant!

+1

It’s like a happy drunk who’s been in a bar fight.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Last biggy I did – I needed to take a pic.
    My nose was so far over the only way I could see the damage was to take a pic and look at it with the other eye :mrgreen:

adjustablewench
    Free Member

You need to share the pic Hammy . . . We won’t laugh (too much) promise

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Minor injuries seems a bit extreme, my road rash treatment is as follows: soak in warm salty water, and scrub out any grit with a (fresh) kitchen scouring pad. Rinse, apply Savlon and gauze dressing, redress each day until the worst of the weeping has stopped (2-3 days normally). After that try and give it some air so a scab can form. Try to resist picking off scabs.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Wasn’t done riding Wench!

martinhutch

soak in warm salty water, and scrub out any grit with a (fresh) kitchen scouring pad. Rinse, apply Savlon

Who else is having a good wince just thinking about that?

I’d pop along to MIU to get it scrubbed by a professional sadist. Reduces the chance of an infection which will keep you off the bike for longer.

I still have fond memories of the weird scrubbing brush they used on mine. 🙂

inigomontoya
    Free Member

If we’re sharing a+e pictures

I was impressed by how much quicker the dressed cut and grazes healed compared to those not covered by the dressing. I had always been a fan of let the air get to it, not any more! Sudocrem is great, and I always keep some iodine gauze (inodene?) to put under dressings.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Last time I had some serious gravel rash, I had some topical lignocaine type stuff whilst they scrubbed it with surgical scrub and a brush. Even then, they couldn’t get all the melted polypropylene from my shorts out.

After that, it was moist wound healing all the way. It looks vile, but is way better than a great crusty scab that keeps cracking.

wwaswas

My biggest problem with any of these dressings is that my skin reacts to all the adhesives that are available – just end up with an itchy rash around the wound under where the tape is. The self adhesive ones are worse but even just using standard tape or plasters to hold the dressing on becomes an issue after 2-3 days.

andyl
    Free Member

Maybe if anyone has a gash they need cleaning up they should call these guys:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13263683_505053749688065_7122958280799183808_n.jpg?oh=bd74951ee249739c6af2c7ad7f8aff2d&oe=57CA1EC7

(not sure if that will work, it’s facebook content

bomberman
    Free Member

That’s my mid week ride ruined then

Awww diddums. Is da boo boo sting sting?

perchypanther
    Free Member

da boo boo sting sting?

That’s all I want to say to you….

tazzymtb

For a slight boo boo owie I give you Fellow B.P.R rider Jon yazzie who tried to rip his foot off very successfully last week, his knee if forward in the pic!

wwaswas

Well I wasn’t expecting to see my lunch again so soon.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m having steak :mrgreen:

Drac

Minor injuries seems a bit extreme,

It’s perfect for minor injuries. Treatment at home is feasible but sometimes people do silly things like letting air at the wound to dry out.

dudeofdoom

Nothing beats bone poking out for max points!!!

I managed to put a big hole in elbow after landing on brakelever with and scored a minor op and 3 days hospital..

I tend to wear the comfy light troy lee knee/arm things nowadays cos I hate abrasion wounds….

highlandman
    Free Member

Wwaswas, have you tried hypafix dressing tape? less irritant than many other tapes and usually stays put.

Air, water and everything else around you are full of bugs. Def always get things cleaned professionally and covered unless quite minor. All this leaving it to scab over is just asking for trouble. Some of the time, you’ll get away with it; then eventually you won’t and the results will be very messy.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Just a fleshwound’ is closed to new replies.