• This topic has 182 replies, 116 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 183 total)
  • Jumps – why do most riders make no attempt and just roll them?
  • WaywardRider
    Free Member

New trail opened at Leith Hill. Table tops and jumps. Was up there today and was amazed at the number of riders who made no attempt to get air – not even on the easy low level table tops. Most people just rolled the whole trail! They’re just missing out so much that is fundemental to MTB’ing. I’m not talking big stuff here. C’mon at least make the effort and ride the trail the way it was designed to be ridden… It’s really not that hard. Just surprised at the lack of ambition and the missing desire to improve. Maybe the trail builders just wasted their time:-(

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Your my hero….

aracer
    Free Member

Fear

clubber
    Free Member

It’s fundamental to your mtbing.

I’d love to be better at those types of trails. Not fancying breaking myself is why I don’t. Reckon I would have done when I was younger and breaking myself would have had less impact on my life.

Drac

They’re just missing out so much that is fundemental to MTB’ing.

Well if you take away the first fundamental part which is riding bikes and having fun plus many others eventually you’ll get down to you must jump off table tops. Interesting that table tops that were once seen as BMX style riding are now fundamental to mountain biking.

swiss01
    Free Member

cos i’m a fat old bloke with shot knees who lands like a sack of spuds

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ain’t fundamental to my type of riding nipper.

TooTall
    Free Member

the lack of ambition and the missing desire to improve

I bet they have other skills in life. I bet they just enjoy riding their bikes as well.

AD

Wow. And I had the teacher thread down as the troll of the night…

allyharp

Jumps are usually very artificial – not fundamental to mountainbiking at all. People started off by riding the land as it lay…

Inbred456
    Free Member

Maybe they aren’t as awesome as you are!!! 😯

devash
    Free Member

Too radical for my riding style. Plus, my bike’s too big.

tenfoot

Yeah, no-one likes a show off.

Been riding mtb for 20 years now. Small jumps I’m ok with, large jumps too risky when you’re the sole earner (plus I’m a chicken). Don’t feel I’m missing out.

jools182
    Free Member

Fear, lack of skills, not wanting to break any bones

WaywardRider
    Free Member

Its not about missing out or being awesome its about pushing and challenging yourself. If you don’t try and ‘up your game’ what’s the point? However you dress it most riders, deep down, aspire to jumping they just haven’t yet committed…

wordnumb
    Free Member

I once landed a jump on an earthworm and I feel bad that that earthworm now bears the tread of a Fire XC Pro, rather than a more niche tyre. Air is off-limits to me from now on.

tenfoot

What’s the point? The point is going out and enjoying yourself, jumping or no jumping.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah – and when was the last time you tried riding a unicycle off road, eh? What’s the point if you’re not pushing and challenging yourself?

b45her
    Free Member

probably because most folk that frequent this forum are beardy single speeder types that havent realised that the sport has moved on in the last 20 years and think that wheels leaving the ground is only for likes of josh bender on his carpiel apocalypse.

Phil_H

Wheels leaving the ground are ok, it’s the landing that still brings up flashbacks of a trip to A&E in an neck brace that’s the problem that causes me to ride up to a set of doubles like I mean it, shit my pants at the last minute, grab a handfull of brake and roll over in an undignified manner.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

WaywardRider
    Free Member

Actually I do have a unicycle – still trying to learn to ride it though…

Sadly I think you’re right b45her. Too many blokes with expensive bikes they’re ill equiped to ride. What is truly depressing is the poverty of expectation and ambition they all seem to have. ‘I like what I know and I know what I like’ seems to be the mantra.

WaywardRider
    Free Member

What we need is more youth on this forum… The willingness to challenge rather than accept.

wiggles
    Free Member

It hurts falling on your face is usually the reason I avoid jumps…

I’m just not good at them, tabletops and small ones however are not a problem and fun but anything with a big drop/gap and “the fear” sets in

For full disclosure I am a yoof by STW standards

chip
    Free Member

One day you will be old and broken too.
    Maybe by then you might have developed a more live and let live attitude towards others.

But untill then you are so money supermarket.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I fink I have a new man crush…..

some people like jumps some don’t. Amazing isn’t it.

b45her
    Free Member

seems to be that the general consensus is you need to drop at least a grand on “skills courses” before you attempt such insanity as a 3 ft drop or a 6 ft double jump. most people i ride with learned how to jump and control bikes as kids on grifters and raleigh burners without a coach in sight.

satchm00
    Free Member

Yeah got this one sussed out,

So stoked on this thread.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Big jumps for me are the best part of riding my mountainbike but you need to build up your skills gradually.
    I’m nearly 44 and can clear 30 foot plus tabletops and doubles happily.
    I’m not a hero, I’ve just taken the time to learn to do it reasonably safely.
    Repetition and muscle memory are the key factors.
    If you really don’t like the feeling of flying then the risk isn’t worth it but if you do like it and want to get better, find a well built tabletop and practice, practice, practice.
    Being relaxed is the most important thing, which is difficult when you’re (quite rightly) terrified.

Just make sure you get that whip reeled back in before you land 😉

WaywardRider
    Free Member

That’s funny satchm00

mikewsmith
    Free Member

seems to be that the general consensus is you need to drop at least a grand on “skills courses” before you attempt such insanity as a 3 ft drop or a 6 ft double jump. most people i ride with learned how to jump and control bikes as kids on grifters and raleigh burners without a coach in sight.

Most self taught people I see look like accidents waiting to happen 🙂 I was one of them, learnt the hard way, then spent a small amount of money on some skills coaching and got a lot better very quickly. I don’t use the fishermans ruler to measure jumps and drops either 😉

Northwind

People do mountain bikes because they enjoy it. People who don’t enjoy doing jumps while doing mountain bikes don’t do jumps while doing mountain bikes. Was that so complicated?

londonerinoz
    Free Member

It seems to be a common affliction amongst what I’ll term technical progressionists to be unable to see why others don’t share their perspective or all the other reasons why people ride. I would have thought that all the different types of bike available would be a clue. If the point of your riding is to progress technically, does that mean that you stop riding when you can no longer progress?

These threads make me imagine that there’s a STW trolling scoreboard over on Pinkbike or somewhere.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

These threads make me imagine that there’s a STW trolling scoreboard over on Pinkbike or somewhere.

It would be a small board, most of them can’t count that high without taking their shoes off…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

To give the recent flouncers their dues, there’s some serious out from under-the- bridge twathattery going on at the moment.

OP being a sterling example.

Air is not for everyone for many reasons, I’m sure the trial builders are quite content having people ride their trails at all without the ultimate gnarrrrrr factor you must bring.

Rorschach
    Free Member

oldfart

60 next year, 2 crushed vertebrae, Osteoporosis , told never to ride off road again . Since then a season in Whistler , riding in Moab and Crested Butte and my wheels hardly ever leave the ground .Grateful for small mercies , Captain Sensible is having a ball .FUN FUN FUN ! Each to their own .

matt_outandabout

swiss01 – Member
    cos i’m a fat old bloke with shot knees who lands like a sack of spuds

Are you my doppelgänger?

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

surely wheels on ground equals XC, wheels in air equals freeride…i’m 29 and still shy away from airborne antics.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘Jumps – why do most riders make no attempt and just roll them?’ is closed to new replies.