Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Jumping on the fat bandwagon (first snowy ride pics)
  • GEDA
    Free Member

Who needs a fat bike. Thin is the new fat.

lilchris
    Free Member

Who needs a fat bike. Thin is the new fat.

Wrong phat i’n’it

GEDA
    Free Member

I used to do my commute with a derailleur bike but it always got totally gummed up in the snow.

I reckon a alfine fat bike would be best.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    swavis

I used to do my commute with a derailleur bike but it always got totally gummed up in the snow.

I reckon a alfine fat bike would be best.

druidh to the forum please

SidewaysTim

cupra – Member
    Tim is miles away and 9:Zero:7 is probably way beyond budget nice thought though.

Can’t help with the distance, but can put one together for around £1600ish

cupra
    Free Member

Ahh, less than I thought, tell me more. Email addy in profile.

EDIT – I’ve emailed you.

SidewaysTim

Hmmm, I must be more methodical in future, it’s more like £1800 now I’ve written it all down 🙁

SidewaysTim

Double post

bedmaker

Sanny – pics are taken at the top of the ‘puffer course. 1st one looking across to ben Wyvis, 2nd one at the swivelly seat and 3rd shortly after the bridge of thighs.

It’s going with me to Aviemore tomorrow for a long weekend of frolics. Looking a the forecast though the ice spikers on the susser may be a bertter bet..

I’d agree with others, it rides surprisingly ‘just like a bike’. The only fatty I’d ridden previously was a pugsley with Endomongs on and it was pretty horrid really. Fine on sand I’m sure but I rode it on singletrack and it was all over the place. The Nates are totally different though. In mud, they are faster in a straight line as they float rather than dig in but hard cornering is a bit sketchy as they lack of digging in means they skitter around a bit.

I’m glad I went for it as I had a feeling they may sell out then I’d regret not buying. Fat stuff in general seems to go quickly once available.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ll look out for Nate tracks

druidh
    Free Member

I reckoned that too and, TBF, there are quite a few in that mode. However, I found that it really needed to be geared right down to take advantage of the amazing traction and I’d have to drop below Shimanos recommended gearing ratios. I also had a wee problemette regarding the EBB I’d opted for that meant I couldn’t fit a really small cog at the front. Overall, I opted just to go 2×9 with a short-cage shadow mech. I still have the Alfine wheel built up (on drilled Rolling Darryls) and might try it out again.

Ed-O
    Free Member

RaiseSkierFatty by Ed Oxley, on Flickr

Yesterday up on Raise I went for a ride and met some people on skis 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

Ed – What crank is on that bike and what size are the chainrings?

I’ve got a Fatty on order, but I’m pretty sure that I’ll need to go 2x on it. I’m looking at the Race Face cranks, hoping that 24-36-bash will fit.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Ed-O
    Free Member

It’s a Hussefelt crank. 22/32/bash. I believe it was modified by the guys in the On One workshop in Rotherham. What they did I don’t know I’m afraid. It does work and I use the granny a lot.

JoeG
    Free Member

Thanks, Ed.

There are a lot of hills where I live, and I assume that I’ll need something lower than the 32F 36R combo that the stock Fatty will give me. I was hoping to go 24-26-bash as that combo seems to be becoming the standard for 2×10.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t help me figure out whether the Race Face 24-26-bash will fit since the chainline could be a few mm different between cranksets.

I guess that I’ll just have to wait till my Fatty gets here!

druidh
    Free Member

The Raceface cranks use shims on the axle to adjust chainline. That might give you a couple mm more to play with.

JoeG
    Free Member

Ed – I like your video, too.

[video]http://vimeo.com/55024278[/video]

Ed-O
    Free Member

Cheers JoeG

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Doh! Was just about in a position to, finally, push the button on a 29er…….now this! Shame on you all! (Particularly the chap pushing the 9:Zero:7!).
    Quite like the look of this –

davidjohn
    Free Member

I love mine.. They’re even more fun in the sun and sand when you’re not freezing your arse off.. 🙂

DJ

[video]http://vimeo.com/54282760[/video]

coastkid
    Free Member

Been commuting into work a few days a week on the pug instead of using the Dirty bike so i can get in some detour home off roading after work at sunset/lights on after dark, and have to say what a great way to unwind from the day…
    (er.. sitting in front of the heater drinking tea) 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu0Ht8Yjf84[/video]

charliedontsurf

Great pictures.

My demo pugsley, the delivery was delayed due to snow, the snow thawed, the bike arrived, and I have not seen snow since. Grrrrr

Nice mukluk there.

Of the seven bikes I am building this week, six are fat, one is a 29er… If you take this ratio and project if forward, it means that 26″ bikes will be extinct, 29ers will be niche again, and fat will be normal.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Jumping on the fat bandwagon (first snowy ride pics)’ is closed to new replies.