Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Jumping off harbour wall
  • Harry_the_Spider

Our kids are getting older and sooner or later they are going to want to stop coming on holiday with us. In a discussion we asked what was the best thing was that they had done on holiday and the answer was “Jumping off the harbour wall”. This was at Goran Haven last summer. A tiny little fishing village, with a very jumpable harbour wall.

Like This

So now I’d like to compile a short list of tiny little villages with jumpable harbour walls for the remaining few holidays that we will have as a family before they decide that they want to go away with their mates.

My kids jumping off the harbour wall

redthunder
    Free Member

Bristol, “The Cut”

robola
    scruff9252

Have a wee peruse of https://www.visitmyharbour.com – it’s written from a sailing pilotage perspective, but it breaks down the country into sections and give details for many of the harbours around our coast.

It won’t be a definitive guide, nor be your sole source of information but will hopefully help in some way…

robola

Or Crail

nealc
    Free Member

I would say anywhere in Jersey. One of the highest tidal ranges going makes for some good harbour walls. Just don’t call it tomb stoning.

andrewh
    Free Member

Cellardyke and Crail already mentioned, St Andrews is another.
    Just go and have a tour of Fife

Harry_the_Spider

Meh. Link doesn’t work.

matt_outandabout

Harbour or just jumping in from somewhere fun?

Loch Ard islands, Loch Tay (X2 venues), paradise pools above Killin.

Yetiman
    Free Member

My pals and I used to jump off the breakwater and the inner harbour walls at Stonehaven when we were kids. Also used to ride off on old bikes tied to a bit of rope which was even more fun.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Beadnell, Northumberland.

russianbob
    Free Member

Harbours….

Mousehole
    Stackpole Quay
    Porthclais

Just jumping….

Stainforth Force
    Blackmoss Pot (the one at the end of Borrowdale)

benjamins11
    Free Member

Porthleven has a fantastic harbour wall. Loads of kids jumping off every evening in the summer. Non jumpers can watch from the pub too.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Bristol, “The Cut”

I’d advise against going in the water in Bristol harbour unless you are up for exposure to a hefty dose of coliform bacteria.

peter1979
    Free Member

Bristol, “The Cut”

Jesus Christ! 🤣🤣🤣

cloudnine
    Free Member

The Blue Lagoon (Abereiddy)
    Stackpole Quay

grantyboy
    Free Member

Stonehaven, just south of Aberdeen (lovely little place!)

giant_scum
    Free Member

I’ve jumped of the breakwater and the harbour wall at Boscastle in Cornwall.
    Breakwater was pretty mundane but the harbour wall was a different story!

lamp
    Free Member

The harbour in Nefyn (Llyn Peninsula) was always very jumpable at high tide and there ae steps to get out too.

ransos
    Free Member

I’d advise against going in the water in Bristol harbour unless you are up for exposure to a hefty dose of coliform bacteria.

The harbour usually meets bathing water quality standards. But the previous poster was talking about the Cut, which isn’t the harbour. I’d suggest that jumping in there is something you’ll do once.

teenrat

As above, Blue lagoon in North Pembrokeshire

redthunder
    Free Member

How about Cumberland Basin 😉 ?

jimmy

Scotland? North Berwick and Portsoy, to name just 2 but there will be many.

As above, though, if they like jumping into water look at Coasteering or Canyoning.

thepurist

If piers count then swanage is very jump off able.

Ambrose
    duncancallum

Mousehole for sure done that plenty of times

Gairlston here in Scotland

db

Came hear to say The Blue Lagoon Abereiddy but its been done 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Cullen

kayla1
    Free Member

Cullercoats? Dunno if you still can but we used to jump off the North wall at high tide and the braver kids used to jump off the (much higher!) South wall.

johnx2
    Free Member

Staithes. High tide advised. Multiple points. Can be viewed from Cod and Lobster.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Last time i was in Millport all the kids were jumping in of the harbour. I was tempted. 😆

Blackflag
    Free Member

Devil’s Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale

TiRed

Hope Cove is excellent, and a decent place for a swim back. You can dive off when the tide is in.

Coasteering in Jersey was one of the highlights of our holiday. Fabulously organised too. The other one being sitting with the gorilla and keeper as he was drinking his afternoon (cold) tea from a jug.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Devil’s Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale

Is illegal and plenty of signs to say so. Following a couple of deaths I believe. There’s at least one memorial plaque down at the water edge. One of those where there’s a deep channel in the middle and a lot of just under the surface but not really visible rocks along the edges.

EDIT to add, however someone above mentioned Stainforth Force, about 30 mins down the road from Kirby Lonsdale – absolutely brilliant for a bit of jumping in off the waterfall and general swimming a little further downstream. Knights Stainforth campsite is right next to it too and is a good family site.

ampthill

St Agnes Isles of Scilly

Main quay

The gorge, you’ll have to ask for directions. It’s a granite pinnacle with deep clear water round it. Just a lovely place to be in the water and loads of different heights to jump from

With the added bonus that St Agnes is so great the kids went stop coming

Daughter at 22 is coming again this summer. She has a map of island tattooed on her arm. Our 25 year old son isn’t coming because the logistics are a pain but he kept coming into his 20s

onewheelgood

You can jump of the jetty at Abersoch when the tide is right. My kids used to love that.

redmex
    Free Member

Seacliff harbour 3 miles east of North Berwick is the smallest harbour in the UK, the water is never warm anywhere in Scotland
    The Port of Valdemosa in Mallorca is a great wee harbour to cool down in but a tough hill to contend with heading back

kayak23

Right Angle Falls. River Etive.
    I’ve harboured my kayak there for a split second before going over. 😊

Brilliant to jump off.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.