Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Jump starting Problem
  • dantsw13

I need to jump start my Hyundai with my Volvo XC90. The xc90 battery is under the floor in the boot, and is a PITA to get to.

Under the bonnet, there is a remote +ve terminal, but not a -ve. To use my XC90 as a donor battery, do I actually need the -ve terminal, or can I just use the engine block?

ayupwesty
    Free Member

Using the engine block as an earth is spot on 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Read your manual for the xc90 and the hyundai infact.

Check your not about to fry the electics of either cars. Some cars detest jumpstarts or being used to jump.

Others have a proceedure to follow.

dantsw13

xc90 manual is silent on use as a donor. Hyundai is a 10 yr old chugger 4×4 so should be fine.

dantsw13

I was always taught negative lead runs from donor batt -ve to engine block on dead car. Is it ok to go block to block with the -ve lead?

antigee

yes block to block should work ok the car is all -ve and that is what you are connecting , though I’d repeat the message that many modern cars electronics are jump start averse

cp

I’ve only ever got jumpstarting to work by going straight from battery to battery on both +ve and -ve

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Sounds like a PITA – can you not just bump it?

PePPeR

It’ll be fine on the engine.

dantsw13

Ive just found an internet forum with a Volvo Master Technician saying -ve on the engine block, so should all be fine. Thanks all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Jump starting Problem’ is closed to new replies.