• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by tang.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Juicy hell !!!
  • br1zz
    Free Member

My p7 came with a set of Avid Juicy 3’s and they’ve been a nightmare from day one.
    Pistons always sticking, need bleeding all the time, always seem to be rubbing no matter what I do.
    I’ve got so fed up of going to my bike before I go out and, upon spinning the wheels as a quick check, find they’re rubbing – again !

I took the back brake off completely yesterday and left it at home just so I could ride to work. Fine for commuting but don’t want to ride it off road with just the front !

Is it worth stripping them or should I give up and ditch them for something reliable ? Can I lube the pistons with anything even if it means replacing the fluid every so often – they are always sticking ?

If the only answer is to replace them – what with ? I don’t need anything daft : I get off road around the Peak District and Sherwood Pines but using in slick mode to get to and from work more currently. The Avids have always felt powerful enough, they just dont work !

PS I am not made of money…

_tom_
    Free Member

You can take out the pistons and grease them with red rubber grease. I just did this with a Juicy 5 and it feels so much better now and doesn’t really rub any more. Probably going to re-do the front it made such a difference!

br1zz
    Free Member

Cheers – can’t believe I haven’t come across that stuff before !

It’s got to be worth a few quid to try it before I convince myself I need yet more hope trinkets or similar.

Anyone found that new seals make any difference ?

_tom_
    Free Member

I forgot to mention I also changed the pistons + seals when I greased it all up. So it could be the new seals/pistons that made the difference, could be the grease.

zilog6128

Tried RRG and new seals with Elixirs, didn’t really help though. I think sticky pistons might just be a symptom of the Avid design. Hope all the way now 8)

br1zz
    Free Member

I might try a piston and seal kit if I can find one – they all say juicy 5/7…would these fit ?

mintimperial

I might try a piston and seal kit if I can find one – they all say juicy 5/7…would these fit ?

Yeah, the only difference is the o-ring between the two calliper halves. Make sure you don’t lose the old one.

I was never able to get my Juicy 3 pistons to stop sticking and I tried everything before giving up – new pistons and seals, RRG, the works. I think there’s something about gritstone-based Peak District mud that just kills them.

enfht
    Free Member

I clean/lube the seals with a paintbrush dipped in silicon grease.

There’s definitely a knack to lining up the calipers I agree but there are plenty of threads on here that’ll explain the best way.

Juicys aren’t to everyone’s taste but if you have the knack and you look after them they work amazingly well for the price. My P7 also had a set of Juicy 3 before I got a deal on some Juicy 7 and have never been tempted to change.

br
    Free Member

Bin ’em – only solution I eventually found.

Especially after once too often having to change pads out on the hills.

Hope’s now, and no troubles at all.

chr15
    Free Member

I’ve been in exactly the same situation as you Br1zz. I liked them in use when they did work, but after wasting money and time on trying to get/keep the Juicys (older 3s) working I gave up and went for some m595 Deores. Only had to change pads since in months of riding… no faff.

Your money’s better spent getting shot than trying to fix the Avids in this case Imho.

VanMan
    Free Member

Been down this route as well with Juicy 5s, eventually got fed up of rebuilding every couple of rides (only the front one never the rear one) so I binned them and bought a set of Hopes. No maintenance all year 🙂

br1zz
    Free Member

oh dear…I feel an expensive ‘treat’ coming on – working brakes sound tempting !

Junkyard
    Free Member

all brakes do this to some degre emy hopes have done it and needed regreasing adn the pistons and seals are only about 6 months old – not used that bike much though to be fair

Flaperon

You won’t like this but a friend had a P7 with Juicy 3s… they were unequivocally crap and he ended up replacing them with Hopes.

flow
    Free Member

Get rid of them, they are too much hassle.

tang
    Free Member

They are a hassle, I had some a few years back that needed constant attention. Back to shimano and so little maintenance and when you do its easy.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Juicy hell !!!’ is closed to new replies.