Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Josh Ibbett sets SDW record – 200 miles, 17h 43m
  • hazeii
    Free Member

Just got a text from from Rory (of Upgrade Bikes/Exposure lights/USE) that Josh Ibbett has done the SDWx2 in 17:43 – hard push from the sounds of it (as in stopping for a puncture resulted in a blackout with 30 miles to go…). Anyone in on the finish got more info?

racefaceec90

😯 that’s going some 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Wow. Was that unsupported, if so, even more impressive.

cyclistm
    Free Member

So quick, amazing

hazeii
    Free Member

Seems his aim was to go even quicker. Lydia Gould saw him at the finish and says he was unsupported (just gels taped to the framr).

Diane
    Free Member

Wonderful and such a nice guy too 🙂

avdave2

Average speed of 11.26 miles an hour – I reckon that would be closer to my maximum than my average if tried it!

samuri
    Free Member

Very awesome. Impressed.

wwaswas

Fascinating article about his preparation;

http://bikemagic.com/news/josh-ibbett-reveals-his-south-downs-double-secrets.html

It does appear there’s more to it than waiting for a sunnay day,getting your bike out the shed, dusting it off and starting pedalling.

njee20
    Free Member

Certainly impressive. A former team mate of Josh reckons 16 hours is doable. Considering the fact virtually everyone who’s done the SDD seems to have punctures/mechanicals it seems plausible.

S_J
    Free Member

Given that it took me 12 hours to complete it one way, this is just an incredible achievement. Seriously well done, we’re not worthy!

AndyRT
    Free Member

😳

It took me longer to do it one way from Eastbourne

😳

Paceman
    Free Member

Interesting article.

Well done Josh… fantastic achievement.

avdave2

A former team mate of Josh reckons 16 hours is doable.

I reckon he would have done it in 16 if he had people to open all those dam gates for him.

wwaswas

if he had people to open all those dam gates for him.

this is one of the reasons that it has to be done Alpine style – to avoid some nutter arranging for people to be at every gate with an enrgy gel and a bottle of water. It’s on public bridleways so the idea is to actually keep speeds down a bit.

Taff
    Free Member

Josh Ibbett

Yes it was Alpine style although the South Downs Double website hasn’t been updated yet

Paceman
    Free Member

Shaving another 1hr45mins off the record is alot in my opinion, it’s going to take a leap forward in fitness / equipment technology to do that in my opinion.

radoggair
    Free Member

Wow, thats amazing. Obviously alot of 16 hrs, 17 hrs is doable comments will be brought up but until someone actually does it then what Josh has achieved is amazing.

Just goes to show you the difference between 2 similiar distance challenges in 2 different parts of Britain

SDW double – 200 miles in under 18 hrs
    WHW double – Plans for me n Rich Rothwell next year in under 24 hrs.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t think that even someone completing a 16 hour ride would detract from Josh’s effort, it’s still fantastic, whether or not it’s the quickest, just as Ian’s, and Mike’s, and Rob’s and George’s (etc) ‘records’ are superb efforts.

I think the person in question could well do it. Do it in midsummer and you’re into a ‘no lights’ attempt, that’s got to be quicker!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Josh Ibbett sets SDW record – 200 miles, 17h 43m’ is closed to new replies.