Jordan Peterson on Chris Evans’ Breakfast Show

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 569 total)
  • Jordan Peterson on Chris Evans’ Breakfast Show
  • Premier Icon batfink
    Subscriber

Seems like you are having trouble with the quote function cougar.  What I said was:

But I think the assertion that complaining about sexual harassment whilst wearing makeup is “somewhat hypocritical” is completely wrong – but I think he’s saying that from the position of academic debate, rather than as practical advice for people in the workplace.  Should he clearly state that, to make sure that people don’t interpret it as such?  Yes, I think he should.

Not sure where the text you put in quotes and attributed to me came from – certainly wasn’t me.

I don’t want to come across as somehow supporting what he’s saying (I’m not)

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Samunkin wrote,

I always struggle with this lack of understanding regarding probability and population groups.

10 million people watched the video. 10% of the country have a psychiatric disorder.

It would be strange, verging on mathematically impossible, for there not to be death threats on an anonymous forum of that size.

Ah so no doubt Jordan Peterson has received a similar amount of death and rape threats? No? No.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Not sure where the text you put in quotes and attributed to me came from – certainly wasn’t me.

❓  It was the post you quoted and replied to:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/jordan-peterson-on-chris-evans-breakfast-show/page/2/#post-9992664

RudiBoy

I recall reading that Vice had done some tactical editing of their interview with him. They need to draw in the punters somehow.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I recall reading that Vice had done some tactical editing of their interview

Sauce 😉

Premier Icon batfink
    Subscriber

Ah sorry cougar – I am only reading/watching this JP stuff for the first time now, you took part of one of my earlier comments where I said:

Yeah – this is my problem with the commentary on his views/lectures that I’ve seen.  In the video you are referencing, he does indeed say that, but then the next 3 minutes of what he says (presumably a justification for that comment) is obscured by the person doing the voiceover.  So we cannot actually talk about what he’s saying and why he’s saying it, we are just passing judgement on some edited soundbites

“the video” being the highly edited one.  Have since seen the non edited one.  Sorry – it sounded like I was contradicting myself, and I don’t believe I have.

sbob

There is some interesting discussion to be had on Peterson, but seeing as we’ve gone from harassment to abuse to **** slavery it is obviously not going to happen here. 💡

Fortunately the rest of the internet discussed this months ago so the stwhite knights can dismount. 🙂

Ah so no doubt Jordan Peterson has received a similar amount of death and rape threats?

Who did Peterson deliberately misrepresent for his own gain?

Can you perhaps see that two different actions might result in two different outcomes?

RudiBoy

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Sauce

</div>

I don’t recall exactly sorry, but when I tried to Google where it was I read it, JP’s twitter page claims that they have.. this wasn’t where I read it though.

Why this now? He’s been internet famous for ages and his views are uncontroversial as far as I can tell. He doesn’t like identity politics and has a bit of a thing for people being precise in what they say. Much of what’s attributed to him isn’t accurate and frankly his fears around bill C16 (the transgender pronoun legislation) were ultimately proved somewhat valid by the whole Lindsay Sheppard thing.

Before all this he was a well respected clinician and as I understand helped dozens if not hundreds of vulnerable people both men and women, so there’s that. Funny how him making some money to fight his corner seems to be a real bone of contention, people are allowed to disagree aren’t they?

As for his fans being ****, I’d argue most rabid politicos both left and right are **** but that’s not down to him.

How anyone can argue that Cathy Newman interview was in any way not a car crash for her is beyond my understanding, agree with him or not. He was clear, straightforward and precise, she was not.

Oh the humanities!

Before this place descends into a Youtube comment-section, I mean cuckfestwhiteknightsnowtardmgtowgeddon Part Deux –  Angry, lonely, bearded right-wing, woman-hating incels vs gender-inclusive blue-haired unicornkin cultural Marxists…

…the full (AFAIK) unedited interview:

The pared-down version I first linked was for expedience, having already watched the full length one.  He doesn’t expand much other than to restate women are hypocritical if they are concerned about sexual harrasment yet also wear makeup to work. And, according to him ‘no-one knows what the rules are’.  To which, I refer to the Dusty video I first posted.  This whole thing somehow reminds me of the stitch-up job they did on women working in the coal mines.

I’m having a cup of tea and some sardines.  Wonder if that Peterson will ever do a piece on internet addiction?  Will Deepity Chopra do a lecture on woo-woo-listics?  Will Ray Comfort dissect snake-oil salesmen?  What are the rulez?

women are hypocritical if they are concerned about sexual harrassment yet also wear makeup to work.

But you said this, he didn’t.  I just listened to the whole thing, can you please give me the time stamp as I may have missed these words coming out of his mouth? Or are you simply saying that’s what you think he meant? It’s interesting this, I met my wife at work, happily she found me attractive so I didn’t get reported. If she hadn’t and I’d asked her out then what? These are big questions not easily stuck in boxes, much like people.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

He doesn’t expand much other than to restate women are hypocritical if they are concerned about sexual harrasment yet also wear makeup to work

Did he get angry because the interviewer was (rightfully) laughing at him, or because he feels so passionate about it, I wonder?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I met my wife at work, happily she found me attractive so I didn’t get reported. If she hadn’t and I’d asked her out then what? These are big questions not easily stuck in boxes, much like people.

Well that reads like there are chunks redacted….

So much depends on people being able to read situations and deal with them rationally and not using power and position to their advantage. Also single cases do not make a guideline.

Given how much the world has changed over the last few decades I’#m sure you can see how easy it would have been for men to pressurise women in the work environment as statistically they represented the group with thew power.

Nobody is telling people not to have conversations or get to know people, what is being addressed (and rightly so) is abuse of power and position – see the MP list and number of senior people (mostly men) leaving jobs due to pushing boundaries and abusing their positions. think that is something we should be dealing with as a society?

Nobody is telling people not to have conversations or get to know people,

They might be! I think that’s the point he’s making in that interview, where is the line, is your line different to mine, is her line beyond yours, should we just have a blanket ban on any personal chatter at work like many companies are now doing? If you ask someone out for coffee and they say no, is that harassment? I’d say not but the person asked may think so male or female. It’s not as easy to define as it looks because it’s subjective which is why he’s been described as nailing jelly to a wall, he won’t commit because what would he commit to exactly?

joolsburger –  9:29

Yeah did miss that so fair enough I don’t agree that make up is a hypocritical action at all. However that doesn’t negate all of his views as simply as that.

Premier Icon craig5
    Subscriber

What people get their nickers in a knot about is beyond me. The Cathy Newman interview, was a farce. She showed herself right up. The threats idiots made to her have nothing to do with him, even if they were made by his supporters. I’m not particularly a fan, less so the whingers who moan about him.  Samunkim

samunkim

Ah so no doubt Jordan Peterson has received a similar amount of death and rape threats? No? No.

Whilst I know proving a negative is difficult, proof please.</span>

Meanwhile.

http://www.infowars.com/busted-jordan-peterson-received-more-violent-threats-than-cathy-newman-after-controversial-interview

and this person actually going further than vague on-line threats and trying to break in whilst carrying a Garrotte

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

The threats idiots made to her have nothing to do with him, even if they were made by his supporters.

Today’s non-sequitur award goes to…

Yeah did miss that so fair enough I don’t agree that make up is a hypocritical action at all. However that doesn’t negate all of his views as simply as that.

Notpology accepted 😉

Seems to be the right wing agenda du jour and I bet it will be surprisingly affective.

The plebs see these people as pragmatists, calling a spade a spade and getting things done in a world desperate for simple answers.

sbob

Yeah did miss that so fair enough I don’t agree that make up is a hypocritical action at all.

I do, but what I don’t do is confuse that with any sort of acceptance or justification for sexual harassment.

cheekyboy

Well that reads like there are chunks redacted….

Not to me it doesnt, sounds like a perfectly honest description of the posters personal experience, care to explain why you think that chunks have been redacted ?

I am not what you’d call a fanboy of his but in many ways he seems to be a pretty decent bloke. I can’t help but look at what he has done and not just what he says. His clinical career is by all accounts a helpful and meaningful one. As far I am aware no-one under his professional care has been less than satisfied by his help, nor has his reputation been in question. I find it hard to read sinister intent into the guy based on what he has actually done with his life.

No redaction on my part. I’ve seen many relationships develop in workplaces and happily many have easily worked out. Just as easily a clumsy request for a date or longing glances over the desks could be horribly uncomfortable for the target of unwanted admiration. By the way this works both ways.

footflaps

I can’t help but look at what he has done and not just what he says.

I’m sure he was kind to his mother but his misogynist preachings aren’t making the world a better place. They’re just helping sex pests feel better about themselves.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

No redaction on my part. I’ve seen many relationships develop in workplaces and happily many have easily worked out. Just as easily a clumsy request for a date or longing glances over the desks could be horribly uncomfortable for the target of unwanted admiration. By the way this works both ways.

Fair enough, just the way it read to me. The issue with it working both ways is there is still an imbalance in the workplace where in the majority of cases men hold the upper hand.

sbob

I’m sure he was kind to his mother but his misogynist preachings aren’t making the world a better place. They’re just helping sex pests feel better about themselves.

What has he said that you find misogynistic, and how many of the sex pests that you know have been helped by him?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

You don’t think his comments about women going to work in anything more provocative than a sack and a pair of wellies, having no right to then complain about sexual harassment are a bit…. you know….rapey?

….and if you answer ‘no’ to that question, you are Harvey Weinstein and I claim my session on the casting couch

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Don’t worry binners he is just defending that people might want to think like that….

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Yeah…. there’s something of a theme emerging. Those poor persecuted middle class, middle aged white blokes having their god-given right to do whatever the **** they like being questioned by the snowflakes and feminazi’s, eh?

#metoo

footflaps

You don’t think his comments about women going to work in anything more provocative than a sack and a pair of wellies, having no right to then complain about sexual harassment are a bit…. you know….rapey?

Quite scary how many people seem to think it’s perfectly acceptable and sort of explains how organisation like incel come about in a supposedly advanced liberal society.

sbob

You don’t think his comments about women going to work in anything more provocative than a sack and a pair of wellies, having no right to then complain about sexual harassment

As he has never said that then I have no need to comment.

I do, but what I don’t do is confuse that with any sort of acceptance or justification for sexual harassment.

Well blow me down and dub me Nostradamus.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

explains how organisation like incel come about in a supposedly advanced liberal society.

Did you listen to the podcast that I posted on page 1?

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/120-invcel#episode-player

Actually explains where incel came from, it was actually set up by a very well meaning woman, however it’s where it went later that got scary – well worth a listen actually.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I’m paraphrasing slightly, but he’s said that repeatedly.

How’s things in 1950? I quite fancy nipping back there too. I believe smoking wasn’t even dangerous back then, and I do miss the odd fag

and if you also had free licence to get a bit ‘handsy’ with any of your female colleagues whenever you fancied it….

CASHBACK!!

sbob

It amuses me that so many of you are completely and wilfully misrepresenting what Peterson has said. The same misrepresentation that Cathy Newman unsuccessfully used without which we probably wouldn’t be discussing this.

Oh the ironing is the phrase to use, isn’t it?

What doesn’t amuse me is the piss poor quoting “feature” of the forum however, so I’m going out to play some darts.

Feel free to argue about some things that some bloke hasn’t said in my absence though; fill your boots. 🙂

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Yeah bit only 2 colours of crayons binners

sbob

I’m paraphrasing slightly, but he’s said that repeatedly

If he had you wouldn’t need to “paraphrase”. Try listening as carefully as Peterson speaks.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I’ve heard more than enough of his rampant misogyny fanks

As far as i’m Concerned he’s just a messiah for social inadequates looking for someone to justify their ****ed up attitudes towards women

you crack on with your darts though. Let us know if you win a speedboat

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

He’s the L Ron Hubbard for a new generation innit?

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

Did someone post an infowars link in support of their argument?

😂😂😂😂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 569 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.