Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Joplin seatposts – are they worth it?
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

Thinking about getting one as they are being heavily discounted, are adjustable posts as badly made as the press would have you believe?

druidh
    Free Member

mickasaki – Member

Thinking about getting one as they are being heavily discounted, are adjustable posts as badly made as the press would have you believe?

Some may be

mickasaki
    Free Member

Thats helpful!!! 😆

druidh
    Free Member

Don't assume that they are all made the same. Reading through STW, it would appear that Gravity Droppers seem to be ugly but functional and long-lasting.

psychle
    Free Member

I've had a gravity dropper for 2 years now (maybe 3 years?) The only maintenence I've done on it is replaced the shifter cable… I wouldn't be without it on any 'all-mountain' orientated bike, it's so damn useful!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Probably being discounted as the Joplin 4 is due for release soon, also spotted this with a 7" drop 😯

grantway
    Free Member

I put out a thread a while back and happy to be getting the Gravity seat
    post over the Joplin.

knott4me
    Free Member

for £100 on Crc for the joplin its a good deal but get used to stripping it down regularly.

james
    Free Member

The Joplin on CRC is only 75mm drop though. Depends on what you are after but its not exactly a lot

"also spotted this with a 7" drop "
    I think thats a misprint, I'm pretty sure KindShock i950s are 125mm drop (same as i900s)

mickasaki
    Free Member

I suppose only being able to drop the height 75mm is a bit of hitch really, best i get measuring to see how much i nrmaly drop my post before ordering one! Thanks all!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

mine needed stripping and regreasing after every wet ride. Its better with a rear mudguard but still needs regular maintenance. good when it works though.

i don't know why its so difficult to make these things, can't the just used most of the gubbins out of a suspension fork?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I've got an oldish Maverick Speedball and aside from a 5 minute regrease every now and then it has been flawless. Personally wouldn't have one without the handlebar remote as I adjust it a lot 'on the fly' when removing a hand could be tricky.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The Joplin for £100 is a bargain. Unless you want to do DH specific courses or ride in the Alps a lot on it, the 3" should be enough. Mine has been pretty good; although the side to side play has got a little worse, it's only something you notice when you off the bike and holding the seat.

Adjustable seat posts are brilliant in their conception but not quite perfect in their execution. But for me that doesn't matter; they are one of those, 'once you've had one you'll always want one' type products.

sailor74
    Free Member

i have a gravity dropper on one bike and a joplin on another. The gravity dropper has no remote and is either up or down, the joplin has a bar remote and is fully adjustable. I havent had any problems with either so far.
    There is some noticeable play in the joplin but it isnt a problem on the trail. From my research as long as you keep the joplin clean it will be fine. I have used an old freeride innertube to cover the seatpost from top to bottom so absolutely no dirt can get in.

RepackRider
    Free Member

I'm the mirror image of sailor74. I have one of each, the GD with remote on my old bike and the no-remote Crank Brothers on the new one.

The trigger on the bars is great, and you use the function more often than when you have to reach under your saddle (WITH YOUR FRONT BRAKE HAND).

I like the fact that I can set the Crank Brothers anywhere, but in practice it is either top or bottom of the travel. The Crank Brothers started to sink at the top of the travel, and I had to send it back to be rebuilt. Using a solid SP for a couple of weeks was torture.

The cable routing on the GD for the remote is STUPID.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have bith a joplin and a GD both have required maintenance and both have broken and required warranty returns.
    If they both worked faultlessly I would prefer the infinite adjustmentof a Joplin.
    The GD is the more reliable and easier to service and the service is far superior.
    3 " is plenty to drop seat to get it out the way to move about east enough IMHO GD is 4"

DT78
    Free Member

Can some people please say more bad things about joplins??!! I'm very close to clicking on the little button that will cost be £100 which I should really spend on xmas pressies for the family….

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Buy one, i love mine and wouldnt have a bike without one now.

Help at all?

sailor74
    Free Member

if and when mine breaks I will buy another one!!!

easygirl

bought one from crc, get the remote version, worked for 4 hours in the mud, then failed, sent back to pure who upgraded all the seals etc, apparently it had lost all the oil,works great when its ok, but hope the fault was just a glitch!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I had a GD and now have a Joplin-R. The GD is agricultural, the Joplin is slick. They both do the same thing equally well. The GD has much more play than the Joplin.

My GD snapped in half leaving an nasty extra arsehole creating device, but it managed to support my 16 stone arse for 3-4(?) years prior to that. I cleaned it 3 times. Whether the Joplin is as reliable has yet to be seen.

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

RASE racing do a 9" drop post.

Not sure if you can get them in th UK though but they look & work awesome.

J

dandan
    Free Member

My Joplin has just been sent back to 2pure for them to repair it.

It would not stay in the down position, just slid back up to the top.

I only used it around 10 times, to be honest I would not recommend buying one, I am quite disapointed with it.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Surely they cant have sold that many units overall, and for there to be this many people with faults on theirs, is shocking really. Maybe they are not really designed with wet UK riding in mind?

GrahamA
    Free Member

Early adopter

I 5-10 years we will look at people without adjustable posts the same way we look at single speeders now.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Joplin seatposts – are they worth it?’ is closed to new replies.