• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by poly.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Joomla?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

what are your thoughts, I’m looking at building a simple CRM package which can also handle Project Management & then a client facing front end once the back end is all tidy.

I’m familiar with wordpress, I understand that they are both pretty similar platforms, is Joomla secure?

Anyone with much experience?

geoffj

Why build your own – look at Sugar CRM.

MrNutt
    Free Member

because £600 per year is over budget?

krag
    Free Member

I’ve done a bit with Joomla in the past but it’s more CMS than CRM. If you are going to use itc heck there’s extensions available for what you want to do before getting too far into it.

SugarCRM does have a free opensource version but it’s fairly limited in what it can do.

sniff
    Free Member

A few extensions about. Reviews are usually fairly accurate…

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/clients-a-communities/crm

DavidB
    Free Member

Joomla is secure enough in its current version if you follow their security guidelines post install. Entirely unsuitable for CRM IMHO

verses

I use it for a site I manage. I found it to have a steep learning curve, but for free I’m pretty impressed with what it can do.

Other than a little playing around with WordPress, it’s fair to say that I’ve little-to-no experience of other CRM/CMS utilities though.

As for security, I imagine it’s as secure as any other open source app out there (read that to mean what you will 🙂 ). There are reasonably regularly updates, so I imagine any serious issues would be addressed fairly promptly.

brassneck

Joomla is a CMS, I’d imagine a world of coding ahead of you to hack a CRM system out of it. Those extensions look like hooks into other CRM systems? I’ve only ever used Joomla to prettify monitoring solutions that use pug ugly web frontends (i.e. a perl script I’ve hacked together).

Gowrie
    Free Member

How about the open source CRM solutions available? vTiger or opencrx for example.
    As for open source security, it varies very widely from almost none with no holes fixed, to obsessive, continually watched and rapidly fixed. There isn’t a single “secure as any other open source app out there”

Colin

Junkyard
    Free Member

praying for your success here 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep looks like even for a basic CRM (details, call history, mailouts) its not the right platform, shame really there’s definitely a gap in the market there.

my thoughts were to build up a back end enabling the above, then allowing new customers to register and then have the contact from then on recorded, that way the client could also see the level of response they receive and those stats could be displayed in realtime on the front page.

geoffj

The open source version of sugar crm is very capable and free.

verses

As for open source security, it varies very widely from almost none with no holes fixed, to obsessive, continually watched and rapidly fixed. There isn’t a single “secure as any other open source app out there”

Hence “read that to mean what you will”

Gowrie
    Free Member

as secure as any other open source app out there

I read that to mean that you thought it was all the same – which it certainly isn’t.
    YMMV

pdw
    Free Member

As for open source security, it varies very widely from almost none with no holes fixed, to obsessive, continually watched and rapidly fixed. There isn’t a single “secure as any other open source app out there

Of course, the ultimate limit of that spectrum is “no holes fixed because they weren’t there in the first place”, the most obvious example of that class being qmail, which has a standing offer of $500 for the first person to find a security hole in it, still unclaimed after 13 years.

Joomla is written in PHP, and PHP apps seem to be more prone to security flaws. I’ve always put this down to a combination of the langauge’s design, and the type of developer that it attracts.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Does anybody still use qmail? (yes I know they do…) Do you still have to compile it to install?
    PHP has certainly had its vulnerabilities, but its a lot better now, I’m told. Facebook’s build on it, although I don’t know how much of a recommendation that is.

poly
    Free Member

you might want to have a look at http://www.brightpearl.co.uk – I’m not sure if it does all you want but it must come close. Theres a free trial, and then the cost is monthly and depends on which features you need – could be £20/month – could be much more! But IIRC the founders are mountainbikers so that should at least help!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Joomla?’ is closed to new replies.