Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Jools Holland's "Hoot" whatever it is…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Did anybody else watch this last night? Is it just me, or is this programme just looking tired and pointless?

"Boy" George waddling about trying to sing and looking, well, stupid.
    "Token Old Geezer" Tom Jones doing THOSE songs YET AGAIN with his little sidekick from Wales.
    "Token American Gospel Singer" going on about Jesus.
    Embarrassing amateur "flamenco" guitarists.
    Paolo bloody Nutini.
    Kasabian – the most average rock band in history.
    Crappy stilted "inteviews" with pissed "celebrities" with nowt interesting to say.

Etc etc etc…

Boring end to a crappy year. Time it was put out of it's misery IMHO.

Oh yeah – happy new year. 👿

Coyote
    Free Member

Wasn't the best lineup I've seen. Didn't really get the adoration for the fat criminal.

geoffj

s this programme just looking tired and pointless?

Yes, unfortunately! 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Takes all sorts – I thought the music was good

iDave
    Free Member

you're wrong there

agree on the rest though

Drac

Never liked I think Jools is a prick with his head so far up his arse he can lick his tonsils.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

t®ibal©hief – Member

you're wrong there

I recommend you listen to Paco de Lucia as an example of how it should be done..

I'm afraid those two just sounded like they'd come off a "Teach Yourself Flamenco" two-week busking tutorial. The guy taking the lead parts looked and sounded like he was battling arthritis.

Feh.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It's not even live.

nuke

I enjoyed it. Best not to be over analysed imo…it's just a new year's eve prog with a bit of varied music. Got to be better than Graham Norton on BBC1.

Underhill
    Free Member

Yeah but they're not actually playing flamenco… that's the point. They both played in thrash & death metal bands before going down this route so there's a bit of a different influence going on.

As usual I liked some of it, couldn't be arsed with other bits. JH is well past his best before date tho & the whole show needs to be updated

tyger
    Free Member

Rodrigo y Gabriela are the best!
    Go see them live – they are fantastic!

(They always state that their music and playing is not flamenco).

They are unique and fabulous – 10 / 10

Jamie
    Free Member

KINGTUT:

It's not even live.

You lie!

*runs out the room crying*

MrWoppit
    Free Member

tyger – Member

Rodrigo y Gabriela are the best!
    Go see them live – they are fantastic!

(They always state that their music and playing is not flamenco).

They are unique and fabulous – 10 / 10

They're a couple of inept amateurs who can't play for toffee. Flamenco (which is what it sounded like they were TRYING to play) or not. The bloke looked like he was having to concentrate REALLY HARD to deliver his five notes-to-the-bar Simple Simon fumbling. I thought at one point he was actually going to stick his tongue out to accompny his furrowed forehead… Accompanied by the female's out of time pointless thrash-strumming in a completely different set of registers totally unrelated to whatever key the bloke was trying to play in. Give me break. 😡

gazman
    Free Member

i agree with nuke it must have been better than norton and the other two irish pr**ks deadwood, i`m not knocking the irish either,

gaz

julianwilson
    Free Member

huge sickly celebrity love in I thought. The low points for me were:

-Boy George singing about being in prison (quite liked him as an artist for a long time but 🙄 really, my heart bleeds!)

-Florence (of 'and the manchine') likening being there in the studio to "being in a giant box of quality street".

I was really looking forward to Rodrigo y Gabriela. They have sounded better however, and I am not convinced by the new 'effects pedal' direction. (there is a wah wah pedal on the latest album 😯 ) They do not profess to be flamenco and apparently delight in telling people they were kicked out of the academy/conservatory/whatever its called in mexico for being too unconventional and using a plectrum.

Mr Woppit, do you play? Most people I know who really rate RyG are musicians or proper jazz beard types. (FWIW i have a beard, some 'entry level' jazz cd's and i would put myself just inside the upper 30% of guitar radness based on the stratobiker-STW- blues-youtube-medley-thingy-rating-scale, and I think they are rather unconventional, clearly huge metalheads at the weekends, but basically very accomplished)

allyharp

I didn't see the performance, but I know Rodrigo y Gabriela go to great lengths to make it known that they are not flamenco guitarists. Whatever genre they are, I've seen them live and though they were great, but I'm no expert on flamenco.

tyger
    Free Member

Mr Woppitt

They're a couple of inept amateurs who can't play for toffee.

You're going to have to try harder than that 🙂

Happy New Year btw!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

KINGTUT:

It's not even live.

You lie!

Fraid not, filmed 10 days before apparently.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ignore me, I'm just feeling rancid because I can't solve my internet problems. Again.

They're average, I suppose. 😕

Underhill
    Free Member

Really liked their Buster Voodoo, it illustrates their style well. They play music which clearly & honestly references their influences and if you like the influences then you'll probably find something to enjoy in their style.

Perhaps Mr Woppit is just not a fan of some of the most influential & successful guitarists?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Adrian Borland

Ag

I thought Boy George had a neck brace on. Apparently not, he's just stopped painting a jaw line onto his big fat head.

iDave
    Free Member

I think it was obvious they weren't trying to be pure flamenco guitarists. We can all look forward to MrWoppits appearance next year showing us a non average rendition

guitarhero
    Free Member

I think it would be a terrible thing to listen to music whilst analysing the competency of the technique. Mr Woppit, are you one of those people who stands in front of the guitarist at gigs looking sullen, waiting for them to make a mistake?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Mr Woppit, do you play guitar yourself?

just asking, mind. I can just about play guitar, and I thought they were rather good. But as my handle might suggest, I'm not a guitarist 😉

mucker

fatuous carping b'stards.

Pembo
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member

Jamie – Member

KINGTUT:

It's not even live.

You lie!

Fraid not, filmed 10 days before apparently.

In November apparently!

oldfart

I'm glad it's not just me then .Used to be good then they fessed up about it not being live took the point of it away .They said at the time what do you expect ? Well the least is that it is actually happening at the time !Let me guess Rowland Rivron in the audience mumbling some shite or other ?

juiced
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it!

CountZero

I'm really looking for Woppit's link to his Myspace page where we can give our own critique of his totally authentic style of flamenco, learned from the masters over many years in Valencia and Madrid.
    Or he can stop being an arrogant know-nothing arse and STFU. His choice

cove123

it was ok, but Al Murry needs to get a new act!!

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think he did STFU – nothing for 6 hours now

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Not sure which was worse, that, or the brainless Mylene Class on BBC1 messing up her lines.
    She had to read them from a great big piece of card ffs!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, excuse me all over the place for having an opinion, I'm sure. Hangovers, is it? 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Xipe Totec – Member

I'm really looking for Woppit's link to his Myspace page where we can give our own critique of his totally authentic style of flamenco, learned from the masters over many years in Valencia and Madrid.
    Or he can stop being an arrogant know-nothing arse and STFU. His choice

Ah, an armchair bully. From behind the keyboard.

From the safest places, come the bravest words…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

lol @ Ag 😀

iDave
    Free Member

Ah, an armchair bully. From behind the keyboard

you started it….. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… and finished it, but you obviously didn't read that post. Lazy as well as a bigmouth.

No offense. 8)

iDave
    Free Member

efficient rather than lazy.

can't see your post which finished the matter of you being a bigmouth guitar god?

john_drummer
    Free Member

you never did answer my question though. So I'll ask it again: can you play guitar, Mr Woppit?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Jools Holland's "Hoot" whatever it is…’ is closed to new replies.