Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Jools Holland.
  • zippykona

One new years tradition I will happily call time on.
    Lame.

northernmatt

I am that uninterested that I’ve come on here. Peaked with the first time they had Seasick Steve on years back, got steadily worse since.

kimbers

More of a Bryan Adams fan eh ? 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john_drummer
    Free Member

Lame +1

bruneep

Are Paul Weller and Ronnie wood the same person?

sirromj

Lame +1e+12 Tom &*(&ing Jones.

Drac

He’s just awful.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ever since I found out they film it in August, or September, it’s a no from me…

oldschool

What? That’s like finding out Santa isn’t real.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Ah, it’s ok! Stop being grumpy 😀 Happy New Year!!!!

colournoise

I think I’m gonna dance now…

mike399
    Free Member

Well, i like it…
    But now I’m told its not live I may need to re-evaluate!!!

scaredypants

peaked when he called somebody “groovy ****”, for me

SaxonRider

Rhiannon Giddens was EXCELLENT. So I would be in the minority then.

athgray
    Free Member

I think Hootenany has been on the slide for a few years, but still brings out tunes infinitely better that Bay City Rollers. I agree with Saxon about Rihannon Giddens.

northshoreniall

3rd on Rihannon, otherwise bit mleh

panzerjager
    Free Member

Yep, another vote for Rhiannon & thoroughly enjoyed The Selector too, otherwise a pretty dull show…

fisha
    Free Member

I thought it was crap. Dull as dish water with poor music. is never been any good as far as I’m concerned.

Dark-Side

I love Future Islands. Seasons was great.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah you’d all be pissin and moaning if they cancelled it!

ctk
    Free Member

Future Islands channelling Tom Jones in his dancing was funny as- loved it.

CHB

Bryan Adams however was fantastic. Live and really giving his best. Loved it. Never been a Jools fan.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Are Paul Weller and Ronnie wood the same person?

No Paul Weller and Jeff Beck are the same person- with a different syrup

I think there were about 10 people there under 50 and as someone who is well into his sixth decade I have to say- FFS CALL IT A DAY YOU ARE TOO OLD TO ROCK AND ROLL!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Why does New Year have to go with all this Scottish Hogmanay Hootenanny crap anyway?

What would have happened or will happen if the Scots bog off on their own? I will be objecting in the BBC are still spending tax payers money on it.

Should ban Auld Lang Syne too.

Humbug.

😛

slimjim78
    Free Member

Watched it for Future Islands alone, and they didn’t disappoint. Rest of the show did though, worst line up I’ve seen on any Jools show.

I truly thought it was live too until a couple weeks ago. Tonight i felt cheated on the countdown so switched over and watched the numptys filming the fireworks on their phones at Westminster instead.

Future Islands on Tonight with Jools earlier this year was highlight of the series for me.

slimjim78
    Free Member

FFS CALL IT A DAY YOU ARE TOO OLD TO ROCK AND ROLL!

I don’t subscribe to this. The voices may begin to strain and the swagger may be stifled, but the older boys blazed the trail and it’s always a pleasure to see them, whilst they are still in our presence. (although Tom Jones is pushing my sensibilities these days)

Listened to the new Bowie single? (Lazarus), it’s awesome. Still teaching the kids a thing or two

Was also surprised by how much I enjoyed New Order with La Roux on TFI Friday earlier too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

And they don’t even film it at midnight either, it’s in the afternoon !

How dare they expect to have a life on New Years Eve

what will people do if they find out the queen doesn’t actually do her Christmas Day speech on Christmas Day 😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

Last time I watched Jools was when Coldplay sang Yellow, ey that long ago.

I like his Tuesday night progs, always showcase really great artists. NYE show only showcases middle of the road rather dull music, music for lifts IMO.

I suspect though the show and Jools will be doing the same stuff every year until the BBC goes subscription only..

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Really liked that ska couple that were on! it’s always a bit lame but do like watching it on nye – absolutely wounded by the revelation it’s not live!!!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Music on new years eve died when they stopped showing the old grey whistle test.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

It was worth dropping in and out of it just to see Rhiannon Giddens again, she was at Cambridge Folk Festival last ( sounds odd for 2015) year and was fantastic.

voodoo_chile

Future islands ..don’t get it ,seem like a modern day fine young cannibals ..lead singer believes in himself !! Hozier very good though

leftyboy
    Free Member

Saw him twie in 2015 once he was excellent the other not so. Same story with Paloma Faith.

CountZero

Worst ever? Really? 🙄
    I honestly thought it was the best one for years, they at least had a bunch of new fresh artists on, James Bay, Rhiannon Giddens, (Who I’d seen on Jools as part of the Carolina Chocolate Drops, and is outstanding solo), Weller, the singer with Jeff Beck, who’s name escapes me, Pauline Black, all were really good, even Future Islands, who I don’t mind, but I wouldn’t go out of my way for I thought were pretty good.
    I really don’t know just what the hell some people expect from a music programme; perhaps those slagging it off might like to suggest artists they’d put on, then we can criticise their choice.

tetchypete
    Free Member

Well said Count Zero.

andytherocketeer

seemed quite a bit more “joolsy” than normal (ie his rhythm+blues orchestra and friends), rather than guest bands.

not really a programme I “watch”, but one I have on in the background to listen too.

thought it was not bad, but then there was bog all on the other channels.

dti

I agree with Count Zero
    HOOTENANNY!
    esp. that trumpet solo on the tom jones / rhiannon giddens duet

slimjim78
    Free Member

Nah, the general consesus (interestingly) seems to be that this particular line up was rubbish. We’ve all seen Jools’ show before, and some weeks it’s simply marvellous. Just happens that this weeks didn’t float my boat at all. James Bay? Not fussed. The ska performance was quite enjoyable. Tom Jones, pony.

Of course it’s all completely subjective, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed previous hootenannys, not so this one. Way sub par.

butcher

I don’t really get the appeal of Jools Holland on New Year’s Eve. I have eclectic tastes in music, and don’t mind the show per se. But it’s quite dull at the best of times. Probably more suited to being watched the next morning nursing a hangover.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Summink to do, init

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Jools Holland.’ is closed to new replies.