• This topic has 177 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by macb.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 178 total)
  • Jones Pron
  • somafunk

Allo Mick 🙂 , yeah I remember collecting the beer for you, that was a good 10 @ Kirroughtree, if i remember correctly i partnered up with a girl called Tatjana who was a very decent rider (she did the 1st trans-scotland on her own), dunno exactly where we came in but it was respectable and we had a laugh which is all that matters.

Hows things wi you”s, sorry i missed you but i left the chocolatier job at the cocoa bean co @ twynholm bout 6 weeks ago, I now work a few days a week in a mates bike shop in Castle Douglas, Next Level Bikes , love the job and i should’a done this years ago, i get to work on nice bikes, service nice bikes, talk bout bikes, drink decent coffee as i took my gaggia into work and we go to the sulwath brewery on a friday night, all the locals are very decent and bring us cakes n’ doughnuts etc so it’s not really like a job at all. – more a sort of social experiment.

Got a new bike myself, search on here for cove hummer and i’ll sure you’ll find it, tiz’ very nice indeed to ride.

Pop in or call next time your heading up this way and we’ll get something organised whether that be a ride on the secret trails or a night drinking beer n’ whisky…or perhaps both if time allows 😀 .

Kenny.

tazzymtb

And it would be good to know how the Diamond rides vs other comparable HTs rather than against the Spaceframe/Truss.

diamond with unicrown compared against a swift, I prefer the diamond for playing on, the swift for faster duties mainly down to weight and the fact the the swift climbs faster, the jones kicks it’s ass on anything else

All of jeffs frames have some freaky voodoo going on with the geometry where they feel super stable and yet really flickable as well. mix of weight distribution, rider position and long fork offset.

All jones are way more fun than any rigid bike should be, and I’ve ridden a lot!

yes they can look a bit odd, but if I had to sell the fleet of bikes and just have one to ride every day….it would be a jones.

Interesting that the steel space frame is reportedly less prone to twist than the Ti version so for some applications riders prefer it.

mattjg
    Free Member

thx tazzy

diamond with unicrown compared against a swift, I prefer the diamond for playing on, the swift for faster duties mainly down to weight and the fact the the swift climbs faster, the jones kicks it’s ass on anything else

worth noting here is the Diamond + Unicrown is in the order of twice the price of a Swift with fork

Gotama
    Free Member

Thankfully these Jones bikes are too small for me, saves any dithering/want issues 🙂

tazzymtb

worth noting here is the Diamond + Unicrown is in the order of twice the price of a Swift with fork

oh god yeah, jones are mental money. BUT in 20 odd years of mountain biking I’ve not ridden a bike that has made me smile so much.

also worth noting that a jones – singular comparison is not really fair as the jones is very different design and geometry over the swift which is a lovely bike. There aren’t really any other fully rigid bikes that will take direct jones comparison unless you start looking at custom things like wolf hounds and black cat etc….

tazzymtb

Gotama how tall are you? you can find the older Jeff built Ti versions now and then built for very tall chaps above the normal “one size fits most” build

Gotama
    Free Member

Smidge over 6ft 3 but with a 33 and a bit inseam so all upper body hence why the 23 inch is prob way too small. Didn’t realise he used to make a bigger one although this realisation is not helping 😛

To be honest there is a By:stickel on mtbr someone had made that has my fancy at the moment in the expensive end. Frame built around a rigid fat front, 68.5 degree headangle etc. Looks superb. Anyway, i digress….so much to spend money on.

tazzymtb

Smidge over 6ft 3 but with a 33 and a bit inseam so all upper body hence why the 23 inch is prob way too small.

TRY ONE

my blue Diamond is now ridden by a mate who’s 6ft 4 and got monkey boy arms and shoulders, he rides with 100mm stem and 410 tompson layback and bloomin loves it.

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting. This is not a good development. *Goes off to look at dealers down south*

nathaneddy
    Free Member

tazzy, would you rate the ti spaceframe significantly above the steel one?

mick_r

Hi Kenny

Good to hear you are still in the world of bikes – the new job and associated corporate activity sounds fun 🙂 We were only up for a few days so spent it on the trails rather than in CD.

2006 / 2007 was probably my most fun bike time ever.

Keep an eye on the forum for when I get my arse into gear with pics of the latest 29er. There is a bit of the mk1 in the attached thread – all this Jones stuff is just too mainstream 😉
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-build-with-a-difference/page/2

Drop me a mail sometime ironworksframesATgmail.com

Mick

_tom_
    Free Member

What an awful looking bike

fixed 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

Sstu offered me a go of his ti spaceframe with truss fork at sswc in 07 I had to decline as I was scared I’d want to buy one and notbe able to afford one , in the end I had a go of Jackies swift and bought one of those lol

I’d love a spaceframe with truss and rohloff , I’ve got a rohloff so its a start 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

By the way Mick great work on the above link 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

it’s brilliant that there’s a totally unrelated chat between a couple of mates going on here … 😀

singlespeedstu

I’d love a spaceframe with truss and rohloff

You should be marched out and shot for putting a Hoff on a Jones. 😛

Here’s a Ti one i found hanging from a tree in our local woods. 😉

I’d sell any of my other bikes before this.
    Odd looking but just so much fun.

2011_0318sunoutagain0027 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

tazzymtb

tazzy, would you rate the ti spaceframe significantly above the steel one?

haven’t played on ti for sufficient time to make an assessment. Funnily enough I may be letting a ti Jones Owner play on my steel version so will be interesting to see what they think.

things I’ve seen on other forums indicate that it’s less flexy/twisty, but still has space frame compliance so more forgiving than a diamond not quite as smooth as a Ti and more suited to big fat aggro riders that can make the Ti get a bit noodly*

*all based on what some blokes have said in other forums and does not represent the views of a taz…..which is a good thing….i mainly think about boobies….they make me smile

firestarter
    Free Member

😉 nice bike , the Hoff is great wish I’d got one years ago mate

jameso

You should be marched out and shot for putting a Hoff on a Jones.

: ) there’s a guy on mtbr who cut n shut the rear end of his ti SF to use a rolhoff and a belt. Scary amount of commitment to his wish-list spec. Jones bikes do attract some wierdos..

singlespeedstu

I hated mine Mick.
    Sold it after the third bearing change…

Tazz.
    I’d be interested in a go on your steel version to see if/how it felt different.

Jones bikes do attract some wierdos..

You’ve met tazz then. 😆

tazzymtb

Jones bikes do attract some wierdos..

god damn attention monkeys, you only do it to be niche and have a clique. I mean FFS who would Actually want to own or be seen with the bastard offspring of a leg calliper and a coat hanger factory!

just thought I’d get in with this before the usual suspects turn up 😆

tazzymtb

Stu I’ll drop over for a ride chap and we can have a jones swap fest. You’ll notice that she’s a big lass though. 26lb of fat fronted steel SS

p.s. i’ll get you for that comment about weirdos! 😀

jameso

Steel diamond + truss vs ti SF = I could distill my usual waffle on this down to big-BMX riot time vs silk-supple smooth but still stiff enough love it long time.

singlespeedstu

Sounds good tazz.
    Will your stalker be following you?

tazzymtb

jamesO – well done chap!

Stu- which stalker is that then? the one that hates all singlespeederists and 29erists ‘cos it’s all we ever talk about and yet he has to pop up every time on specific threads about the subject and tell us how much we offend him…..

or the one that keeps emailing me for sexy time and then abuses me?

jameso

Actually, I’ve not met any other Jones riders apart from some hustler that told me to try one, I might like it.. Then I had to stop drinking, smoking, gambling, the lot, just to afford the habit. Now I have to ride alone in shame, puffing air and grinning like a casualty at fantazia.

singlespeedstu

Tazz.

Are they not the same person then. 😆

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Stu you’re ti sf must be well heavy it’s proper buggered that tree!

singlespeedstu

Pop.

I’m employed by the local foresters to help with clearing bits of woodland and after buying the bike can’t afford a chainsaw.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Has the misus tried the superlight yet?

singlespeedstu

Not yet mate.

She keeps spending all her money on haircuts and nail varnish. 😉

tazzymtb

pop are you still up for getting a Ti then 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

On the list but must admit I’m still loving the very traditional bike shaped pegasus 😉

charliedontsurf

This is my demo bike.

Having this bike handy is a real game changer, this is magic, very special.

Stoner
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member
    Stoner – I know it’s old school, but the phone is always available
    And, in my experience is preferable for dealing with small niche businesses as their knowledge is partly what you’re buying.

I know what youre saying Alex, but I dont want to start some kind of bromance, I just want to buy a (freakishly sized) tyre! Anyway, I cant afford to have an affair with Charlie or Tim. Them two are high maintenance you know.

doof_doof
    Free Member

A geared Jones just looks wrong 😕

charliedontsurf

A geared Jones just looks wrong

Yeah, but this is a demo, and the evil plan is to woo geary people to the jones way. And if I can get them to spend money on jones and not electric shifty shimano stuff, then shimano will start closing down and will be whittling mechs from old tin cans in a shed in Taiwan, and Jeff and myself will become bill gates rich and can build 70 feet tall space frame monster bikes that will crush everything in our path, with laser beams and death rays, and an ashtray… and then we can take over the world, but not Basingstoke. You can keep Basingstoke. And that kids, is why gears are useful.

tazzymtb

have a singlespeed fat fronted one (they’re the truth man) and a pink thing 😯

bonus points for naming the trails…..and then telling me that i need gears and suspension 😆

jameso

Damnit the black steel SF looks too good. ‘What would HR Giger ride?’

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I know I know!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Jones Pron’ is closed to new replies.