Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Jones Plus
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Thinking of dipping in and giving one a try – a 25″ as I’m 6’3″

Feedback needed

Cheers

timbur
    Free Member

They’re BIG, so are you.
    Be ready to smile ALOT.
    There’s a demo 25″ about. Best contact Biff for a demo ride.
    Tim

ton

Nigel, come and borrow mine for a day or two. it is a 25.

biff

Thanks Ton. The UK 25″ Plus test bike is with the ‘Monger.
    I have the 24″ (although a dealer might ask for it for a loan).
    You (anyone) can always email me for info/options.

Look big. Ride tight.

timbur
    Free Member

Ride loose, wink a lot 😈

singlespeedstu

At last you’re starting to see sense.
    I think it’d suit you perfectly.

bedmaker

No more blasting rock gardens and smashing drops for you then! 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Can the bike be ridden with non loop bars?

singlespeedstu

No as the Jones fashion police will come round and beat you to death with a wet kipper.
    Nige, it’s just a bike set it up however you want.

letmetalktomark

@Ton when you have a moment might you mind measuring the standover (for me this is the highest part of the TT with the bike vertical) of the 25”

@biff – could I ask the same for the 24”

Im presuming both bikes are running 29 plus wheels and tyres.

Am I correct in thinking that the wheel set up needed is 142×12 and 150×15 I’m presuming if so running my Rolloff would be out of the question.

Oh and finally ….. what would be the largest front chainring that could be run with adequate clearance?

bonesetter
    Free Member

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ Was hoping there was a plus sized spaceframe, but it doesn’t look like it

The one above, although having plus on the frame is a ‘small’ spaceframe with more standover for titchy folk

bonesetter
    Free Member

ton – Member
    Nigel, come and borrow mine for a day or two. it is a 25.

Thanks for the offer ton, but I’ve just ordered one now on your say so 😉

ton

oh no…….i was only joking, mine is rubbish…… 😆

charlie did me proud with my build. 8)

biff

letmetalktomark – good non de stw :O)

My 24″ test is back to me tomorrow. Can measure then but
    lots of info (inc rider sizing suggestions) at http://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-plus-148-ta/ and I think Rohloff do a SPEEDHUB 500/14s as a 148mm hub but not sure will work with Plus – I best check.

lotto
    Free Member

So the Plus SF is not the long wheel base version of the original SF?

chiefgrooveguru

No, they currently do:

Ti Spaceframe
    Steel Spaceframe
    Ti Diamond
    Steel Diamond
    (All original Jeff Jones geometry and in one size with 23″ ETT).

Plus Diamond 25″
    Plus Diamond 24″
    Plus Spaceframe 23″
    (All in steel and with Jeff Jones Plus geometry but in 23″, 24″, 25″ ETT sizes).

I believe the original 23″ and Plus 24″ are the same reach due to the Plus having a slacker seat angle (which increases ETT).

martinh
    Free Member

I love my 25. I usually ride a smalker size than i should because other big size bkies tend to handle like gates. This bike does not. With 3.0″ tires it doesnt need the extra give the Spaceframe offers.

martinh
    Free Member

Double post

lotto
    Free Member

So the Plus spaceframe can take a 29×3 in the rear and the stand over height is reduced a little but the wheelbase remains the same as the steel SF? The Plus Diamond is indeed a different bike altogether with longer wheel base etc?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Good feedback, thanks Martinh

My 25 arrives Tuesday 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

So the Plus spaceframe can take a 29×3 in the rear and the stand over height is reduced a little but the wheelbase remains the same as the steel SF? The Plus Diamond is indeed a different bike altogether with longer wheel base etc?

No, the Plus bikes are completely different geometry to the original Jones – slacker head angle, more fork offset, more BB drop, slacker seat angle, longer chainstays. And they come in three sizes, with the smallest size having a spaceframe to give more standover clearance.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ he’s on about the SF ‘Plus’ I pictured above (which is not really a plus)

singlespeedstu

I’d be interested in having a quick spin round on it when it arrives Nige. 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sure Stu

chiefgrooveguru

^ he’s on about the SF ‘Plus’ I pictured above (which is not really a plus)

I’m confused now. Why is the Spaceframe Plus not really a Plus? I thought it was just the smallest size of the Plus bikes?

lotto
    Free Member

Yes I’m confused too. I have a SF with truss. I’m going to make the jump to the Plus. I’d like to run a 29 3″ rear tyre. If there was a SF Plus on offer I’d plump for that given I enjoy my current bike so much. So why is the SF Plus not really a Plus? Can anyone compare a steel SF to the diamond Plus?

bonesetter
    Free Member

The SF ‘Plus’ just has more standover (I believe). It is still 23″ ETT and traditional JJ short wheelbase geo etc

It’s only those ‘new’ Plus bikes that are the longer rear and shorter reach etc

jameso

It is still 23″ ETT and traditional JJ short wheelbase geo etc

It’s only those ‘new’ Plus bikes that are the longer rear and shorter reach etc
    I think the SF plus bike is just shorter ETT / front-centre than the other plus bikes? The plus spaceframe rear end must be about the same as the other plus frames, 29+ won’t fit the original bike’s ~440-450mm rear end.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

You’re all wrong 😉 – the Spaceframe Plus has the same front end as the normal diamond plus, but with shorter chainstays, however the it’s chainstays are still longer than the Jones 29er frames (Spaceframe, or diamond).

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Well that’s interesting, just done some digging on the Jones website (horrible user unfriendly website!!!) and it looks like between the prototype and production, the Spaceframe Plus chainstays have grown! They are now the same as the Diamond Plus.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Really – 19″?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yup 19” – according to the website. I definitely remember reading on his blog some time ago, and posted here about, the Spaecframe Plus having chainstays between the 29er and plus in length – Jeff has clearly decided against it though!

singlespeedstu

Nige I think you may be confusing the + bit to mean longer toptube not ability to use 29+ wheels.
    The small Spaceframe + can still run 29+ wheels but still has a 23″ toptube.
    Hence it’s still a 29+ bike.
    29+ wheels has nowt to do with toptube length.

singlespeedstu

You may also be confused by chainstay length not being anything that will make a difference to your riding.

chiefgrooveguru

So was I right all along? 😉

singlespeedstu

Exactly chief.
    You might ride headfirst of a drop in the FoD but you sound like you understand geo. 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Priorities.

singlespeedstu

Not understanding geo might be safer than riding headfirst and all that. 😛

lotto
    Free Member

The SF+ is being described as a small. This is only in regards to it being 23″ top tube as opposed to the 24/25 of the diamond? It is not small for the more vertically challenged rider?the 29er has a 23 top tube is a great fit for me at 5’11. I’m guessing that using a layback on the SF+ it would fit me. Go for a diamond + and I would need an inline or dropper. Could really do with more info on the JJ website.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Jones Plus’ is closed to new replies.