Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Jon Brookes The Charlatans has died.
  • jamj1974

Won’t mean a lot to many of you but as a fan of the band since almost the beginning this is dreadful news. Down to earth and genuine guy each time I met him and also to my mind one of the truly great British drummers of his era.

A local hero of mine and a loss to his family and friends.

BBC link here.

woody2000

🙁

Bloody hell. One of my favourite all time bands, and the soundtrack to my youth. First Rob Collins, now Jon. RIP Jon.

First charlatans single I bought…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_bDrU0kpSI[/video]

Wish I still had it!

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/music-films-video-games/music/the-charlatans-indian-rope-hd_100121560

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Oh man. that is truly gutting. 🙁 Thoughts to his family.

My favourite band of the the 90’s, Up to Our Hips was and still is, IMO, their best album,.

Saw them live at the Shepard’s Bush Empire many moons ago, bloody fantastic live. They opened up with Forever, which almost bought the house down.

RIP.

emac65
    Free Member

Lived down the road from me,a real shame ……

zokes
    Free Member

That’s rather disappointing.

RIP

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Sad indeed. Charlatans were a massive band for me back in the day, and one that I’ve continued to follow ever since.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Shame. Was listening them on them on the iPod this morning, then I read the news 🙁

jamj1974

Woody, I’ve got that Indian Rope 12″ – one from the original release. Also got the re-issued CD too. Happy to rip it as it is unavailable. Let me me know if you want it?

Was playing Up To Our Hips on the way in – might go for that era b-sides on the way home… Stir It Up and Only a Boho sound appealing right now…

Emac65. You’re not that far from me – I’m going out for an evening ride around Sutton Park with my bro and a couple of drinks after, you may hear some slightly drunken singing… I am jumping off the wagon to raise a glass for Jon.

clubber
    Free Member

That is sad as it always is when someone young like that dies.

I was surprised by this in the article though:

One of the band’s best known songs, The Only One I Know, reached number nine in the UK singles chart in 1990

Only 9!?

DezB
    Free Member

Sad news.
    I’ve got the Indian Rope 12 too, but this will always be my fave Charlatans track… not just for the wonderful organ riff
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXBR96Z8_e8[/video]

alanf
    Free Member

That’s sad news indeed.
    A great drummer and always impressive when seen live.
    The heart of the band
    I will be running through a compilation of tunes later with Sproston Green to finish as always.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Jon Brookes The Charlatans has died.’ is closed to new replies.