Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Joining the niche beard growing, sandal wearing zero travel folk….
  • Kryton57

New Exotic fork arrived this morning and 30 mins later, voila:

Aiming for its first zero travel spin on Friday morning. 🙂

Thanks to Darryl here (http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-gaint-xtc-with-carbon-fork-medium-notts-300-ono-may-split-1) for an excellent service during the sale / delivery of them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Beware the lack of grip,

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1twoWkOwEbY[/video]

justatheory
    Free Member

That’s lovely, I really like green bikes. What frame is that?

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s a time travelling machine, rigid SS 26″ is so 8 years ago. Although it may now be cool again. Who knows?

Kryton57

Its a Kinesis Decade Virsa (courtesy of wwaswas)

Kryton57

Its a 29er fork Mr P, I could yet go 69er with it 😀

nedrapier

Well done! My rigid SS 26″ is also green. I’m sure you will enjoy yours.

In other news, I rode to work today on my SS-able, monstercross-able flared-drop sometime road bike with sensible-grouch 9 speed cassette, square taper BB, bar-end shifter and mechanical discs. WEARING SANDALS in favour of getting my shoes and socks piss wet through.

(I did win them in a competition, but still…)

I didn’t wear a helmet, because I have such an advanced perception of risk and of risk management. I did wear a plain T-shirt, with no logos at all, because I’m so very clever.

No beard though, so work to do…

gordimhor

No mention of what the t shirt is made from so I take it isn’t organic and those sandals are not handmade from yak dung and condor feathers. A poor effort nedrapier

gordimhor

But I am with you on the wet feet and socks 🙂

Yak

and those sandals are not handmade from yak dung

damn – missed money making opportunity there.. 😉

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Why?????

If we were having another slop-fest like last summer I’d understand, but with the trails as hard packed as they are now (unless you live somewhere very different to me) a rigid fork is just self flaggelation.

nedrapier

MB – I think the official reason is “for teh lolz” or something.

brassneck

I had a Versa set up like that Kryton, SS but with Bonty Switchblade forks that were a bit short and twitchy (50mm stem helped) – it was ace apart from that. Enjoy!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Kryton, my versa is set up with an alfine hub. Lovely bike(s).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[/url] 2013-07-03 12.51.51 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr[/img]Beard – I’m not wearing the hat
    & new bike

Beard does not equal surrender

Kryton57

Mostly Balanced – Member
    Why?????

If we were having another slop-fest like last summer I’d understand, but with the trails as hard packed as they are now (unless you live somewhere very different to me) a rigid fork is just self flaggelation.

It is indeed my winter / spare bike. I’ll take it out Friday for the hell of it, otherwise it remains the low maintenance / bad weather option. Although it need not do, as it is after all an education in pedalling and picking lines, and a quad exerciser to the max.

winch
    Free Member

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my recent excursion into the world of zero travel. I’m only doing it as I’m “between forks” right now, but it is certainly still fun even on the dry and notoriously braking bump infested Cannock Chase. Having to manual over every unavoidable obstacle has got to be good for your technique in the long run, right? 🙂

nedrapier

That was the plan for mine too, not been out on the geary mtb since!

Biggest thing I learnt for the transition from suss forks is to get low over the front with your arms bent when you’re going over bumpy trails with little drops. You’ve got it in your head that you need to be more active, but I found I had to concentrate a bit on keeping low with the arms bent.

Means you’ve got some “sag” so when the the front drops away, you’re not sitting there waiting for your straight armed front wheel to catch up with the ground and so you can start steering again.

Make any sense? Probably not.

avdave2

Its a 29er fork Mr P, I could yet go 69er with it

I run a 29 wheel in front with 440mm forks with loads of clearance. It rides really well and there is small but noticeable improvement in comfort. I’d like to end up eventually with a rigid 29er.

epicyclo

nedrapier – Member
    … WEARING SANDALS in favour of getting my shoes and socks piss wet through…

Good choice. I’ve done 3 StrathPuffers in sandals… 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

It needs a coil vanilla shock on the back 😉

Otherwise, it looks pretty darn nifty

maurizio
    Free Member

Welcome aboard! The only recommendations I can make are 26″ wheels, the shimano cleat sandals and video footage of your vast and arduous daily commute to include overtaking a roadie on your ss mtb.

Kryton57

Its already 26?

aa
    Free Member

green singlespeeds are teh awsumist.

Mine’s up there ^

yunki
    Free Member

hmmmm… green?

it’s nice and everything, but what you really need is an orange rigid 26er, with a rack, for carrying your fishin’ pole and your bottle of ‘shine

nedrapier

green ft’win. (and ownership of a green bike)

Kryton57

I’m in agreement here – you have to own a green bike once in your life.

sunnrider
    Free Member

@nedrapier that´s actually quite pretty, what is it?

thepodge
    Free Member

Best bike stand ever in that last pic

nosemineb
    Free Member

Im guessing Neds is a dekerf?

nedrapier

Cheers!

nedrapier

Good eyes, nose.

’99 Dekerf Generation, 2013 Dave Yates disc mount, cable guide swap, canti boss removal and paint with forks to match. Dropping the front back down to sagged 80mm levels means the handling’s back to speederbike flickiness. Loving it!

AlexSimon

thepodge – Member

Best bike stand ever in that last pic
    Yes!

maurizio
    Free Member

Whoops, sorry Kryton57 got confused over your 69er comment 😳

My bike is about to be green too 😛

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

aa – Member

Mine:

avdave2

In 1986 I could have bought a Ridgeback or a Rockhopper. The Ridgeback was green the Rockhopper was red. I made the right choice and I haven’t looked back. 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

aa – Member

Very true – two of mine, an old one and the latest.

nedrapier

roger, that Kona is very eye-catching! 8)

What bars are they?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@nedrapier – it was a bit, errr bright! 😀
    They are On One Mungos, had to swap back to risers because of a wrist injury (no sniggering at the back please)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Joining the niche beard growing, sandal wearing zero travel folk….’ is closed to new replies.