Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Joinerists – making an internal door taller
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I have a new doorway and I’d like to use a ‘spare’ door I have as it matches all the others – only issue is that it’s about 10mm too short.
    The door is made of solid dark hardwood (def not hollow/cardboard/eggbox) that has been painted.
    Can I simply screw/glue a 10mm piece of timber to the bottom (or top) of the door and fill/sand it then paint the whole thing?

One complicating factor is that the floor has a slight slope to it so I presume this means I’d need to add the extra height to the top rather than the bottom allowing the bottom to be trimmed to match the floor.

Does this sound OK or am I barking up the wrong tree?

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds fine. Generally I’d add to the bottom as it’s better visually but 10mm probably isn’t enough to impact on the symmetry. If you do want to add to the bottom then trim, just glue it without nails, or glue and screw but remove the screws before trimming.

kayak23

Yup. As above 👍
    Unless you don’t want to paint the door in which case perhaps you could add it to the inside top of the frame fairly subtly?
    I wouldn’t get out of bed for 10mm

sharkbait
    Free Member

My initially thought was to add to the bottom but then thought that it might make trimming difficult – but I was going to glue and screw then remove the screws.

It’s def being painted. I know 10mm isn’t much, but it’s in the hallway and I’ve spent quite a lot on renovations and I don’t want a door that’s a bit too short to be the first thing you see!!
    (Also a hard surface so no carper to mask the gap.)

pk13

Put a strip on the bottom glue and screw it might be worth cutting the door down a tad more a 20 mm strip will allow for countersunk screw and less chance of hitting them if you have to trim it for floor carpets ect

sharkbait
    Free Member

it might be worth cutting the door down a tad more a 20 mm strip will allow for countersunk screw

I was thinking of doing this also actually as the bottom of the door is currently a bit of a mess and I could give it a nice straight edge.
    Cheers

sharkbait
    Free Member

[Possibly stupid question]
    Does I need to fit a strip of the same type of wood?

DT78
    Free Member

wouldnt have thought its essential if its painted

I would have thought adding to the top was a bit better than the bottom. In case something gets caught under the door and could split the join (I have kids so sticks and stones are always in the hallway).

sharkbait
    Free Member

Good point – the top is unlikely to hit something!

BigJohn

If the grain of the door bottom and the strip are both going in the same direction then the type of wood you use isn’t too important from a structural point of view.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’m a complete amateur at this, compared to the professionals above. I’d hang the door to fit at the top, then take a 20mm strip, lay it along the floor at the bottom and mark the door along the top of it. Then take the door off and cut/plane it to the mark (or a bit more if you need more clearance), fit the strip.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can’t you just trim 10mm from the bottom of the surrounding walls?

😉

pk13

Your more likely to see it at the top. Only grumpy people walk around looking at their shoes

timba
    Free Member

Add it to the bottom. Its easier to plane a strip with the grain all in one direction, no cross grain. It’ll look less obvious too

andy5390

Put a 10mm strip in the top of the door frame.

(probably only work if the frame is relatively plain)

thelawman

Can’t you just trim 10mm from the bottom of the surrounding walls?

Username continues to make sense

dovebiker

If the door frame is painted I’d look at lowering that, particularly if there’s an architrave you can remove and cut down.

kayak23

Your more likely to see it at the top. Only grumpy people walk around looking at their shoes

There was a whole sub-genre of indie music devoted to gazing at ones shoes.

Op are Slowdive or My Bloody Valentine likely to visit and want to use that door?

onewheelgood

Or as a Swedish colleague once said to me: “How do you spot an extrovert Finn? He’s staring at your shoes.”

alanf
    Free Member

Hang the door correctly at the bottom and then add the strip to the door frame at the top thus filling the gap

neilnevill
    Free Member

If you really really want to do it properly, search YouTube for Bradshaw joinery. He did it recently to an unpainted door

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.