Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Johnny Cash
  • sc-xc

I can't stop listening to him. Only have America IV and V, and am getting the rest soon. Best music I have heard in ages – that's how out of date I am.

wwaswas

I'd say that a lot of his 'American' stuff is pretty timeless, really, just good songs sung well.

I'll put it on now, in fact 🙂

xc-steve
    Free Member

That is so random, listening to a DJ Yoda mix and he's got a load of Johnny Cash samples mixed into it I was like who's this chap, then your topic comes up on here… hmmm

higgo
    Free Member

… a DJ Yoda mix and he's got a load of Johnny Cash samples mixed into it …

Can you give me directions to that? It sounds like just my cup of tea.
    <4 mins of googling later and it's on its way to me>

grievoustim
    Free Member

III is my favorite

his version of "I see a Darkness" with Will Oldham/ Bonnie Prince Billy doing the backing vocals makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck like no other song

allthepies
    Free Member

Is it on spotify ?

2tyred

There's a superb JC Christmas album on Spotify!

steve-g
    Free Member

I hurt myself, today……

richmars

Check out BBC4 tonight.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I shot a man in reno
    Just to watch him die

flyingmonkeycorps

YES. I See A Darkness on III is incredible.

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

The Fulsom prison concert is on BBC4 at 9PM tonight, plus other bits later on.

hels
    Free Member

The Love, God and War CDs are great too, all JC's choice of tracks.

American II (I think it is on) wins my award of best cover ever for the version of Nick Cave's The Mercy Seat.

Man in Black pure genius.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cheers for the share Sir Neil, looks like pubs off tonight, be staying in with a Mr Cash and a few cold ones.

San Quentin always gives me goose bumps!

grievoustim
    Free Member

the mercy seat is on III

algarvebairn
    Free Member

His version of NIN's "Hurt" is one of the best cover versions ever. And the video… sadder than Bambi.

GaryLake
    Free Member

His version of NIN's "Hurt" is one of the best cover versions ever. And the video… sadder than Bambi.

I find it too haunting to listen to… 😕

MTT
    Free Member

Awesome music.

Best music I have heard in ages – that's how out of date I am.

I concur, aged 26… 😕

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ditto on the age thing lol

nasher
    Free Member

Have you seen the film "walk the line"

Very good, whats is name from Galdiator and buffallo soldiers is pretty damn close to JC imself…

PePPeR

Steve Wright had his daughter on the other day and they played his version of the long black veil with hers seamlessly joined on after it was a great piece of radio.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Must be an age thing. I can't stand him!!!

SB 🙂

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

At my age I can remember him first time around. One of a kind. Will be watching tonight with a nice bottle. He's got what was once described as a lived in voice.

NathanG
    Free Member

Hurt is an awesome song but unfortunately not his, its a cover of a Nine Inch Nails song.

All the same its a good song covered well by Johnny Cash

grievoustim
    Free Member

NathanG

everybody knows that – almost all the songs on the American Recordings albums are covers

the point is that he makes them his own

NathanG
    Free Member

grievoustim

hence the reason i said "good song well covered" meaning he covered it well.

anagallis_arvensis

I prefer the first American Recordings albumn out of the modern ones, saw him perform a lot of the songs live at Glasters a long time ago. The full unedited Folsom Prison album is the best ever made by anyone at anytime IMO. As far as other songs I really really like Sunday Morning Coming Down (Kris Kristofferson) and Highway Patrolman (Bruce Springstein) as far as covers go.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Must be an age thing. I can't stand him!!!

No neither can I. His version of NIN Hurt is mumbled dirge. There I said it.

If you like that sort of minimal guy with a gravelley voice and a guitar music check out Steve Von Till – "Breathe"

SSP

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think his version of Hurt is an improvement, but I think I've heard it too much now. It was already mentioned that that was a cover version. Personally my favourite cover would be "I'm so lonesome I could cry" with Nick Cave. Also prefer his version of "One" by U2. Brakes do a good version of Jackson.

beefy

Check out, "personal file" it's a very intimate album that was released after his death, made from tapes found in his personal stash, full of his stories behind the songs, really make you feel like you know him.

He rules, I second whoever said Folsom is the best album ever.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

My parents were big c+w fans so jonny cash was always on when i was growing up.I never got tired of listening to him.(And i still don't now)

colnagokid

the BBC4 stuff that has been on and still is at the mo is brilliant, Later especially so

rOcKeTdOg

johnny who?

hockropper

I love when the man comes to town

hockropper

just realised should be when the man comes around,lol

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Best music I have heard in ages – that's how out of date I am.

Id think of it as JC's music being timeless rather than you being out of date. Certain Albums just dont sound dated to me. Musically / Lyrically "classic" stuff will always be relevant. I guess its a personal thing.

tazzymtb

usually can't stand the man, but his cover of Nine inch Nails "hurt" was fantastic.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

If you're desperate I can mail you a quid.

BigJohn

His new album is due out soon. It's all the sweepings off the studio floor from his American Recordings series.

Just like him to still be composing, when most people who've been dead that long are decomposing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Johnny Cash’ is closed to new replies.